USA Politics (redux)

Started by bhodges, November 10, 2020, 01:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 12, 2020, 12:45:49 PMHe may be polemical, or fishing for votes, but nonetheless he outwardly introduces the idea in an official writing.

People blabber about secession all the time in the US.  Only a non-American could possibly consider this serious.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

MusicTurner

e
Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2020, 12:49:14 PM
Who's going to take this drivel seriously, I wonder?

There are at least three potential layers:

1) people in party/parliament politics
2) some members of the broader public
3) active groups not involved directly in politics, including militias and loony people, finding it inspirational

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 12, 2020, 12:56:01 PM
e
There are at least three potential layers:

1) people in party/parliament politics
2) some members of the broader public
3) active groups not involved directly in politics, including militias and loony people, finding it inspirational

I'm willing to bet that all three layers will subside and recede after January 20, 2021.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

MusicTurner

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2020, 01:01:54 PM
I'm willing to bet that all three layers will subside and recede after January 20, 2021.

Yes, seems likely. But for activities among 3), there's recently been, for example
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/six-arrested-federal-charge-conspiracy-kidnap-governor-michigan

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2020, 12:48:23 PM
...Trump will not prevail against democracy.....
We're making progress. You now seem to acknowledge he's infringing upon democracy...

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 12, 2020, 01:09:32 PM
Yes, seems likely. But for activities among 3), there's recently been, for example
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/six-arrested-federal-charge-conspiracy-kidnap-governor-michigan

Keywords: arrested, federal charge --- ie, the rule of law is up and running in the USA.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 12, 2020, 01:12:34 PM
We're making progress. You now seem to acknowledge he's infringing upon democracy...

He unsuccesfully yet legally challenged in legal courts the result of a legally held election. He legally lost. He will be legally replaced by Joe Biden.

If all of the above seem to you like something infringing upon democracy, then so be it. I beg to differ.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2020, 12:48:23 PM
It is actual bilge. It's drivel. It's nothing. Trump lost. Whether he acknowledges or not, it doesn't matter. He's already history.

Drivel ≠ insignificant.  As president, yes, he will soon be history.  As the figurehead of Trumpism, he's going strong.

"whether Trump acknowledges it or not" is one thing.  70% of Republicans who believe the election was "stolen" is another.

There's quite a scale between "laugh it off" and "lose sleep over it," but "laugh it off" is folly IMO.

Four years ago, I should have said it would be a cold day in hell before a professional couple, both lawyers, would brandish firearms at protesters.

I should have said it would be a cold day in hell before this couple were invited as guest speakers at the convention of a major party.

Of course, I would not literally have said that four years ago, because then such events were unthinkable.

This society is dysfunctional, and that's not going to magically change when Biden takes the oath of office.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

MusicTurner

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2020, 01:12:38 PM
Keywords: arrested, federal charge --- ie, the rule of law is up and running in the USA.

That's not really the point. The point is what got them planning it. And some people might be brighter, or more 'efficient'.

Karl Henning

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 12, 2020, 01:22:44 PM
That's not really the point. The point is what got them planning it. And some people might be brighter, or more 'efficient'.

Andrei seems to be ignoring possible aftereffects of Trump's repeated and brazen stress-tests against the rule of law.  not necessarily beginning with the Senate's "acquittal."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 12, 2020, 01:20:25 PM
This society is dysfunctional

What do you mean by "a functional society"?

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 12, 2020, 01:25:42 PM
Andrei seems to be ignoring possible aftereffects of Trump's repeated and brazen stress-tests against the rule of law.  not necessarily beginning with the Senate's "acquittal."

I'm willing to bet that the possibility that the rule of law in the USA will be overturned by Trump or any of his followers is much lesser than the possibility that the Sun will not rise again tomorrow. Are you, Karl?

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 12, 2020, 01:22:44 PM

If some people are brighter and more efficient than the rule of law, then that rule of law is not worth much to begin with.  ;D

Be it as it might be, the USA is the only country in the world that has never experienced any dictatorship for as long as her history run.

drogulus

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2020, 01:34:02 PM
I'm willing to bet that the possibility that the rule of law in the USA will be overturned by Trump or any of his followers is much lesser than the possibility that the Sun will not rise again tomorrow. Are you, Karl?

The odds may favor you, but it's also the case that when democracies are overthrown there are plenty of people making the same bet. One factor influencing me is that taking the possibilities seriously is not inconsistent with mockery of the putschists. I'm mindful that putsches are always clownish right up to the point they become serious, notwithstanding that most of them don't get that far.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2020, 01:18:00 PMHe unsuccesfully yet legally challenged in legal courts the result of a legally held election. He legally lost. He will be legally replaced by Joe Biden.

Even in victory, the left sees scary bogeymen all around, threats to democracy everywhere, and insist over and over and over, as the op-ed propaganda they consume likewise insists, that Donald Trump has unique and special abilities to harm core institutions and the rule of law.  But he does not.  It's low wattage mass hysteria.  To be sure, it is basically relegated to online life. 

Now, if Trump does declare his candidacy for 2024 on inauguration day - and he should - that means that he will persist as a dark force in the minds of a variety of people, and the cottage industry of anti-Trump hyperbole and hand-wringing will persist, if in weakened form. 

Florestan

Quote from: drogulus on December 12, 2020, 02:17:12 PM
     The odds may favor you, but it's also the case that when democracies are overthrown there are plenty of people making the same bet. One factor influencing me is that taking the possibilities seriously is not inconsistent with mockery of the putschists. I'm mindful that putsches are always clownish right up to the point they become serious, notwithstanding that most of them don't get that far.

You'll have to translate this in plain English for me.

T. D.

Florestan

Quote from: T. D. on December 12, 2020, 02:35:01 PM
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/12/trump-loses-wisconsin-election-lawsuit-cemeting-biden-win.html

The judge, a Cheeto Mussolini appointee, dismissed the lawsuit "with prejudice".  :laugh:

And yet Cheeto Mussolini is a Fascist.... Boggles the mind, really...

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2020, 02:40:32 PM
And yet Cheeto Mussolini is a Fascist.... Boggles the mind, really...

Right.  The fascist thug with the power to topple the republic on a whim keeps losing in court.  It's very scary in the States right now.

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on December 12, 2020, 02:43:12 PM
The fascist thug with the power to topple the republic on a whim keeps losing in court. 

Risum teneatis, amici?