Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: MN Dave on Today at 11:40:18 AM
I may not go down to Winona again but it made me want to revisit here:
http://artsmia.org/.

Fabulous!  If I ever get out your way, that's one place I definitely want to visit! I see you've got one of JMW Turner's magnificent watercolor landscapes, Borrowdale, Rosthwaite Bridge and Castle Crag:
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ataraxia

Nice.

There were a ton of marine themed paintings in the Winona museum...of course.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 03, 2012, 05:56:56 PM
A giclee, for those that don't know what it is, is essentially a computerized/digitized reproduction on canvas of the original painting/photograph/etc.--a high resolution print of the original IOW, done on canvas and in the case of my three done under the supervision of the original artist.

Tony - sorry about the loss to your family - indeed a talented photographer - my condolences - Dave

Giclee (zhee-klay) is a fascinating 'modern' printing technique that combines computer digitization of various  original media art works, such as paintings, with the use of expensive ink-jet printers (8 or 12 colors) printing on archival papers - more information HERE for those interested.

Susan & I became familiar w/ the technique 3-4 years ago when we purchased several giclee prints of original paintings by the artist George Pocheptsov done as a teenager (short bio of this remarkable young man attached - Wiki Article HERE - take a look at the latter w/ a few pics of several of his many well known clients).  Would like one of his original paintings but now at $200,000 or so, we went w/ the prints!  ;D

Below is the largest of our two acquisitions (framed locally and a little skewed to avoid reflections of the glass) - giclee edition of 275 signed simple 'George' - each print in this series was supervised by the artist and also additional items added to make each copy more individual - title is 'Sally and a Cat' - not for everyone but we love it!  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 05, 2012, 06:53:34 AMtitle is 'Sally and a Cat' - not for everyone but we love it!  :)

I like it, Dave. Makes me grin uncontrollably (that's the way I define great art  ;D )

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The Six

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on March 05, 2012, 06:30:32 PM

My girlfriend, Amy.

Hey George - you've shrunk!  ;) ;D   Nice looking gal - Dave  :D

SonicMan46

OK - I just have to post this pic although most will be bored!  As some of you know, I'm an amateur woodworker but have been working w/ an underpowered table saw (TS)  for over 20 yrs; on my retirement last June, I wanted to replace the saw - WHY does it take so long to make a decision?   ::)

Well tonight I ordered the TS below - a Steel City product w/ a continuous cast iron table top (300# plus) - from Lowe's - will be put in my garage via a fork lift - will need one or two friends to help lift a number of the parts, BUT I cannot wait!   :D

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on March 05, 2012, 06:45:32 AM
Quote from: MN Dave on Today at 11:40:18 AM
I may not go down to Winona again but it made me want to revisit here:
http://artsmia.org/.

Fabulous!  If I ever get out your way, that's one place I definitely want to visit! I see you've got one of JMW Turner's magnificent watercolor landscapes, Borrowdale, Rosthwaite Bridge and Castle Crag:

That Turner is absolutely gorgeous, I should get better acquainted with his watercolours, the ones from Venice are superb, too.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

George

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 05, 2012, 06:36:48 PM
Hey George - you've shrunk!  ;) ;D   Nice looking gal - Dave  :D

Smoking stunts your growth, you know.  ;)

Thanks, Dave!  :)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Ataraxia

Karl Henning

Go there. You know you want to.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

Mirror Image

Quote from: MN Dave on March 07, 2012, 11:26:17 AM

For some strange reason, after seeing this picture, I've got a hankering for some milk.

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

TheGSMoeller

Was trying to make this my avatar but failed several times...
...another one of my Sock-Monkey creations.

Sergeant Rock

Sergeant Rock