Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: pjme on March 28, 2014, 02:21:16 AM
Somehow those brittle textures make me think of....

Peter

I guess that's a compliment.  8)
Thanks!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Maybe you've heard of this already.  A few years ago a guy bought a trunk full of negatives at an auction. They had been taken by a reclusive ex-nanny who lived in Chicago.  He started looking at the negatives and realized she was brilliant. Although she had died in the meantime, posthumously she is now one of the most celebrated street photographers out there.  In my opinion she is far and away the best.  Although she was pretty poor most of the time, she did squeeze in some travel. There is a thread with hundreds of her pics. I just saw this and LOL'ed.  She's a grim looking lady, but has a wicked sense of humor.  (whoops, I should mention, her name is Vivian Maier)
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 28, 2014, 03:32:05 AM
Maybe you've heard of this already.  A few years ago a guy bought a trunk full of negatives at an auction. They had been taken by a reclusive ex-nanny who lived in Chicago.  He started looking at the negatives and realized she was brilliant. Although she had died in the meantime, posthumously she is now one of the most celebrated street photographers out there.  In my opinion she is far and away the best.  Although she was pretty poor most of the time, she did squeeze in some travel. There is a thread with hundreds of her pics. I just saw this and LOL'ed.  She's a grim looking lady, but has a wicked sense of humor.  (whoops, I should mention, her name is Vivian Maier)

I knew this story, and the name is familiar, but I don't think I've seen much of her work. Which 'thread' do you mean? I'm looking at her photographs at www.vivianmaier.com now, and they are indeed extraordinary.

My photographs on Flickr

pjme

Quote from: North Star on March 28, 2014, 02:32:39 AM
I guess that's a compliment.  8)
Thanks!

since this etching is by Rembrandt, it defnitely is a compliment!

Peter

North Star

Quote from: pjme on March 28, 2014, 04:22:46 AM
since this etching is by Rembrandt, it defnitely is a compliment!

Peter
I certainly don't mind being compared to van Rijn, and I guess my previous post is a bit ambiguous.  0:)

Karlo

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on March 28, 2014, 04:00:41 AM
I knew this story, and the name is familiar, but I don't think I've seen much of her work. Which 'thread' do you mean? I'm looking at her photographs at www.ivanmaier.com now, and they are indeed extraordinary.
Weird. I posted the url but it's been deleted...anyway, it's http://www.vivianmaier.com/
  The more I look the more amazed and impressed I am.
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 28, 2014, 04:37:54 AM
Weird. I posted the url but it's been deleted...anyway, it's http://www.vivianmaier.com/
  The more I look the more amazed and impressed I am.
Very impressive indeed! (and a spectacular typo from me in the url  :laugh: )

My photographs on Flickr

Pat B

I had not heard of Vivian Maier until I received this as a gift a couple years ago:
[asin]1576875776[/asin]
She was extraordinary.

Bogey

Quote from: Pat B on March 28, 2014, 02:08:57 PM
I had not heard of Vivian Maier until I received this as a gift a couple years ago:
[asin]1576875776[/asin]
She was extraordinary.

Saw this in the NY Times today, though this says yesterday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/movies/finding-vivian-maier-explores-a-mysterious-photographer.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Pat B on March 28, 2014, 02:08:57 PM
[asin]1576875776[/asin]
She was extraordinary.

Ironically I just came across this trailer for the documentary earlier today.
Some stunning photographs, more proof that B&W offers the most beautiful images from a camera.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/ifcfilms/findingvivianmaier/

http://www.youtube.com/v/er8-Vq__cRE

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 28, 2014, 02:12:34 PM
Some stunning photographs, more proof that B&W offers the most beautiful images from a camera.

I've always tried to emulate the stark B&W look, sometimes I think I've been successful...

North Star

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 28, 2014, 03:26:35 PM
I've always tried to emulate the stark B&W look, sometimes I think I've been successful...
Self-quoting, are we? :D

Monochromatic photographs show perhaps best what photographs can do better than paintings or drawings, although photographic colours are certainly not without artistic value.

The picture you posted is indeed an excellent monochrome, Greg. :)

Here's a monochrome I took six years (and a week) ago:

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on March 28, 2014, 04:00:17 PM
Self-quoting, are we? :D

QuoteWhats wrong with self-quoting?  ;D

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on March 28, 2014, 04:00:17 PM

Here's a monochrome I took six years (and a week) ago:

Beautiful. Where was this taken?

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Here are a few from my last film camera, shots taken on a trip to Chicago...

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Seeing how we're posting monochromes by the pound now.. ;)
Another one from Finnish Lapland:

A pine tree one block from here:

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on March 28, 2014, 04:44:48 PM

A pine tree one block from here:

I love the composition of this one, the placement of the tree is perfect.

Bogey

Almost do not want to post anything here as it will break up the wonderful photos.  Have you two considered starting a photography thread?  I would frequent it.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz