Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

At the risk, or perhaps with the hope, of pissing off everyone here ...

I think the CDC has done a poor job. I explained why in detail earlier. That is an issue completely separate from guns, immigration, or Obama's failings. (For one thing I bet the CDC would have been no better had Romney won. The problems look institutional, and of long standing.) Todd is right to point that out. It seems the Nigerian government did better than the US one so far. It really shouldn't be controversial to say, I think our government should do better than Nigeria's. That it has been is probably due to the baleful influence of partisanship.

That does not excuse goig after Baklavaboy's motives. It's not just rude. The biggest reason American politics is f*cked up is that ad hominem is widely accepted as a valid argument. Just look at any campus, or the cable networks. Intelligent thoughtful people should do better.

Todd

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 27, 2014, 09:05:04 PMIt's cynical to think we should focus our effort on something that's actually killing lots of Americans?  To be honest, I am not sure what you mean by "cynical" here, and am doubtful about your usage.

It's cynical to conflate completely unrelated topics such as Ebola and gun violence into one post.  That's political bait and switch. 

If you think that the federal government's public response has been effective or otherwise well managed, then I wonder what you think a poor response might look like.  The CDC could have/should have/probably would have responded differently had the leaders known how unfortunate the response has been.  The CDC, and the entire executive branch, is under the direct supervision of the President, who was elected to manage the branch.  The buck apparently no longer stops there.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Todd on October 28, 2014, 05:44:06 AM
I wonder what you think a poor response might look like. 

I can answer that easily: When the disease is spreading and people are dying.  Right now I see it as US 319 million/ Ebola 0 . So far I don't see anything in the statistics to make me think things aren't being handled, at the very least, satisfactorily.

Anyway, I apologize to the fans of this thread for contributing to its hijacking.  And apologies to the other gentleman involved, but I will not be continuing in this non-likable-picture centered...discussion.
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Tangentially:

Quote"Boulez's whole life has been nothing but bluff, invective, impertinence, and conceit. He's exercised a bad influence over an entire generation that's wasted its energies in following him" — Henri Sauguet, 1987

Thanks for this.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mookalafalas

Quote from: karlhenning on October 28, 2014, 06:00:52 AM
Tangentially:

Thanks for this.

Karl, with all due respect, have you wandered into the wrong thread? Or has this devolved into the "polarized partisan bickering" thread? (By the way, I like that too ;), and I know Ken does).
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 28, 2014, 06:04:38 AM
Karl, with all due respect, have you wandered into the wrong thread? Or has this devolved into the "polarized partisan bickering" thread? (By the way, I like that too ;), and I know Ken does).
Well, 'tis his signature, so I'm sure we all know Ken likes it.  0:)
And I do, too.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on October 28, 2014, 06:06:15 AM
Well, 'tis his signature, so I'm sure we all know Ken likes it.  0:)
And I do, too.

Oh, I didn't realize that :-[ :-[ Now I understand.  Sorry Karl! I didn't realize you were using the quote as a picture.
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 28, 2014, 06:12:45 AM
Oh, I didn't realize that :-[ :-[ Now I understand.  Sorry Karl! I didn't realize you were using the quote as a picture.

Sorry to have been unclear!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

I am starting a new thread, apology-fest.

I'm sorry for not doing so earlier.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on October 28, 2014, 06:23:00 AM
I am starting a new thread, apology-fest.

I'm sorry for not doing so earlier.

I forgive you Ken.  I'll copy this into a thread I recently started "The Forgiveness-fold".
It's all good...

Karl Henning

I'm sorry I ever apologized on this thread!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mookalafalas

Quote from: karlhenning on October 28, 2014, 07:04:11 AM
I'm sorry I ever apologized on this thread!

0:) 0:)I forgive you 0:) 0:). (Next time, apologize in Ken's thread, if you don't mind. I'll leave a link to the forgiveness thread 0:) 0:))
It's all good...

North Star

I'm sorry for not being apologetic.

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on October 28, 2014, 07:25:52 AM
I'm sorry for not being apologetic.

I love a good oxymoron :D
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 28, 2014, 07:48:30 AM
  I love a good oxymoron :D
I am a sorry, unapologetic fellow

My photographs on Flickr

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

kishnevi

If Karl ever decides to expand his professional opportunities