Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Alberich on December 20, 2014, 05:27:16 AM

I really like this part in One Piece. It really makes me sympathize with supposed monster. I hope Oda doesn't subvert this and somehow reveal this redeeming quality of Doflamingo was all a lie. I have my fingers crossed. Doflamingo is awesome.
You read One Piece? My friend and I joke about how you would have to have a pallet with stacks of omnibuses if you want the whole series. And Oda wants to keep One Piece alive for at least another 10 years.

Jaakko Keskinen

Yah, I do. I kind of have love-hate relationship (that applies to many other series/books/movies too though) with it. I can certainly see that One piece has several ass-pulls. For example if you're not in flashback it is almost impossible for a character, even for a minor one, to die. The worst case of this is when this guy named Pell survives city-destroying atomic bomb while on ground zero, there is just no excuse. Just before the halfway-point in the series aka two years time skip, two characters die, though. Oda also isn't very subtle, often his writing sounds like something by 10-year old, especially when describing things such as racism, often using very black-and white imagery or black and gray (although there are exceptions). His villains are often very vile although many are later given redeeming qualities but I would have liked them to show those qualities from the beginning. There are exceptions though like Arlong and Blackbeard and apparently Doflamingo, whose redeeming qualities are shown from the very beginning. And the straw hat pirates themselves aren't saints. There are many awesome characters (my favorite character is Crocodile, he is pure awesomeness), Oda also never seems to forget even slightest a thing (there is a saying "Oda never forgets"), the level of detail is awesome, some minor event years and years ago may bear great significance much later and just about 10 chapters ago there was chapter which blew my mind, showing Doflamingo's horrifyingly tragic past. Although then in the great flashback of the arc comes Corazon (or Rocinante), Doflamingo's brother, one of the most annoying characters ever and then once again handling of these themes becomes crude. But still there are things like unbelievably powerfully described events about Doflamingo's past.
Horrible certainly, but genius as well. No wonder the guy is so messed up. One Piece is little past halfway point by now (the timeskip came some years ago, IIRC).  Although One piece has its downs, it can be also very rewarding manga. Anime has lot of awful fillers but the soundtrack is very nice and voice actors are top-class. Crocodile, my favorite character in the show, coincidentally has same seiyu as my favorite digimon character, Vamdemon aka Myotismon. Even their laugh is identical. One Piece often also shows homage to Naruto and Dragonballz.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ken B

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Jaakko Keskinen

On the 3rd September 1967 Sweden changed from left-hand to right-hand traffic. Okay, this isn't picture I really like (it probably wasn't funny experience to be in that chaos) but it's still interesting.

- Victor Hugo

Wakefield

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Didn't I see somewhere a cartoon where the master lectures Fido, hwo only hears his name, the rest bing totally ignored ?

Szykneij

Quote from: André on December 29, 2014, 12:45:46 PM
Didn't I see somewhere a cartoon where the master lectures Fido, hwo only hears his name, the rest bing totally ignored ?

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

kishnevi

Seasonal with a twist.
Santa laying tefillin (phylacteries is the most common English translation: worn during morning prayers except on Sabbath and festivals).

ibanezmonster

André

Ken B

Mirror Image

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure