Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Cato

Quote from: George on July 22, 2015, 06:52:32 AM
1949 pic with 1966 LP. Hmmmm....

;)

You win!   ;D

"Stereo" record + 1949 = ???????

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on July 22, 2015, 07:37:38 AM

;)

You win!   ;D

I love you guys  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Cato on July 22, 2015, 07:37:38 AM
;)

You win!   ;D

Maybe he knew Doc Brown  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on July 22, 2015, 08:46:04 AM
1.21 gigawatts?

For the first time in my life, I need to wear sunglasses: after my cataract operations, I have discovered how bright the world is...at least physically!

So my son got me these Doc Brown sunglasses, allowing me to say every time I start the car:

"Roads?  Where we're going we don't need...roads!"   8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on July 22, 2015, 08:46:04 AM
1.21 gigawatts?

Quote from: Cato on July 22, 2015, 08:53:51 AM
So my son got me these Doc Brown sunglasses, allowing me to say every time I start the car:
"Roads?  Where we're going we don't need...roads!"   8)

;D :D ;D

Sarge

Karl Henning

He's seen the light!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NikF

Always liked this photo of Jean Shrimpton. I believe it was for Vogue by Bailey.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on July 22, 2015, 02:16:08 PM

Always liked this photo of Jean Shrimpton. I believe it was for Vogue by Bailey.

I love David Bailey's work. I have a print of his ex Marie hanging in my living room (Mrs. Rock humors me  ;D ) Unfortunately I can't post it here (against the rules) but it is lovely. It's the cover photo from his book Trouble and Strife...but the German edition called Mrs. David Bailey: the pose where she's standing in profile, arms and leg in a v, hair blown back. You probably know it.

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 22, 2015, 02:44:15 PM
I love David Bailey's work. I have a print of his ex Marie hanging in my living room (Mrs. Rock humors me  ;D ) Unfortunately I can't post it here (against the rules) but it is lovely. It's the cover photo from his book Trouble and Strife...but the German edition called Mrs. David Bailey: the pose where she's standing in profile, arms and leg in a v, hair blown back. You probably know it.

Sarge

I think I know the one you're talking about (her hair's pointing back in a triangle and there's some cool use of move space) and it's a hell of a shot. Actually, I've just had a look to remind myself - that's some nice burning that's managing to exaggerate her back without making her appear to have lordosis of the spine or something!

Don't know if you remember a guy who was around (i think) just before Bailey, named Sam Haskins? His most popular collection was a book titled 'Five Girls'. While I don't find his work as elegant or controlled as Bailey, I think he was almost a precursor to him, in that what he was shooting was so fresh and vital. I'm talking about early 1960s or so. Familiar?
A few of his photos show up online every now and then - I think this one is of a model named Gill/Jill.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on July 22, 2015, 03:17:05 PM

I think I know the one you're talking about (her hair's pointing back in a triangle and there's some cool use of move space) and it's a hell of a shot. Actually, I've just had a look to remind myself - that's some nice burning that's managing to exaggerate her back without making her appear to have lordosis of the spine or something!

Yep, that's the one. The burning (and dodging) is more than I'd ever attempt, but Bailey nails it.

Quote from: NikF on July 22, 2015, 03:17:05 PM
Don't know if you remember a guy who was around (i think) just before Bailey, named Sam Haskins? His most popular collection was a book titled 'Five Girls'. While I don't find his work as elegant or controlled as Bailey, I think he was almost a precursor to him, in that what he was shooting was so fresh and vital. I'm talking about early 1960s or so. Familiar?
A few of his photos show up online every now and then - I think this one is of a model named Gill/Jill.

I have a copy of the book in my library (bought it in the 70s) but somehow lost the dust jacket. The model is indeed named Gill, and is my favorite of the five.

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 22, 2015, 03:30:56 PM
Yep, that's the one. The burning (and dodging) is more than I'd ever attempt, but Bailey nails it.

I have a copy of the book in my library (bought it in the 70s) but somehow lost the dust jacket. The model is indeed named Gill, and is my favorite of the five.

Sarge

Yeah, Gill is truly something else - 'vivacious' doesn't even begin to describe her.

Anyway, don't want to hijack or take this thread off topic and so I'll mention another Haskins shot that can't be posted here! It's from 'Cowboy Kate' and features a girl sitting on a bed (deep in that small serious world they often inhibit as such times...) filing her nails, while a cat is in the foreground sitting in front of a bowl. I used to think it wasn't a great photo - until I got older and realised it's really a picture of two cats.
Anyone who wants to see it should search for sam haskins sunday bed and it should get them there.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on July 23, 2015, 02:36:39 AM
Yeah, Gill is truly something else - 'vivacious' doesn't even begin to describe her.

Anyway, don't want to hijack or take this thread off topic and so I'll mention another Haskins shot that can't be posted here! It's from 'Cowboy Kate' and features a girl sitting on a bed (deep in that small serious world they often inhibit as such times...) filing her nails, while a cat is in the foreground sitting in front of a bowl. I used to think it wasn't a great photo - until I got older and realised it's really a picture of two cats.
Anyone who wants to see it should search for sam haskins sunday bed and it should get them there.

That's a great picture! sexy and funny. The empty bowl and the cat's expectant pose perfect. I'm sure I've seen Cowboy Kate before, thought I had a copy, but I can't find it. In any case, I'd forgotten that picture. Thanks!

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 23, 2015, 05:23:36 AM
That's a great picture! sexy and funny. The empty bowl and the cat's expectant pose perfect. I'm sure I've seen Cowboy Kate before, thought I had a copy, but I can't find it. In any case, I'd forgotten that picture. Thanks!

Sarge

You're welcome!

George

George

Henk

Henk