Dvorak's Symphonies

Started by Mark, August 31, 2007, 01:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renfield

Quote from: Michel on September 06, 2007, 09:37:02 AM
There is nothing special about Karajan's 9th...except the last movement has its good points.

But you've obviously not heard other recordings if you think that Karajan is great here.

Being a Karajan "fanboy" as I assuredly am, I will nonetheless have to agree. Karajan only got the grip of the "New World" the very last time he recorded it (on video); and by that time, he was too old to truly "work his magic" on the piece, in my opinion.

I mean, just listen to KubelĂ­k's recording with (Karajan's) Berlin Philharmonic, and you (or at least I) immediately feel so much closer to the "heart" of the music - or the heart of the idiom, if you want to be more academic about it... ;)

Michel

Renfield, agreed. I am actually a massive Karajan fan generally, too.

sound67

Quote from: hornteacher on August 31, 2007, 03:34:06 PM
This set by Ivan Anguelov and the Czecho-Slovak Radio Symphony was a real unexpected treat.  A great cycle all the way around, but especially in the first six symphonies.

Seconded.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Michel on September 03, 2007, 01:32:12 PM
Don't let anyone recommend you the Kertesz box set,

What's wrong with it?

Drasko

Vaclav Neumann's earlier analog cycle with Czech Philharmonic has just been issued in Japan. Looks tempting.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/1940615

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Drasko on September 07, 2007, 06:13:31 AM
Vaclav Neumann's earlier analog cycle with Czech Philharmonic has just been issued in Japan. Looks tempting.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/1940615
I have the later digital cycle. Anyone care to compare the two?

Brian

Quote from: RebLem on August 31, 2007, 06:36:25 PM
I recommend the Kubelik/BPO DGG box as a basic reference standard with superb performances of everything.
I unrecommend the Kubelik for its horrid performances of 1 and 2. Anguelov and Kubelik actually complement each other well, since the DG set's 7-9 are masterful and Anguelov's 1-6 are as well.

Lilas Pastia

I wouldn't hold that against Kubelik. Symphonies 1 and 2 are extremely unremarkable.

sound67

Indeed. But you know, the legal system requires attorneys to defend their clients the best they can even when they believe they're guilty. The same should apply to classical performances/recordings.  $:)

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

mahlertitan

Quote from: sound67 on September 08, 2007, 11:47:52 PM
Indeed. But you know, the legal system requires attorneys to defend their clients the best they can even when they believe they're guilty. The same should apply to classical performances/recordings.  $:)

Thomas

what should we do with the guilty ones? should we imprison or execute them too?

Brian

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 08, 2007, 08:43:54 PM
I wouldn't hold that against Kubelik. Symphonies 1 and 2 are extremely unremarkable.
I actually adore #2. In the right hands (Suitner, Anguelov, etc.) it comes across as cuddly teddy bear of a symphony: you don't need it, and it's not much use to grown-ups, but it sure is cute and makes you smile.

longears

QuoteDon't let anyone recommend you the Kertesz box set, there is a lot better out there.
Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 07, 2007, 05:45:25 AM
What's wrong with it?
To quote Edwin Starr:

"Absolutely nothin'."

Lilas Pastia

I have the Suitner 2nd (from the set) as well as Kosler's, but they still don't make it any more interesting. To my ears, of course ;).

BorisG

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 09, 2007, 04:07:25 PM
I have the Suitner 2nd (from the set) as well as Kosler's, but they still don't make it any more interesting. To my ears, of course ;).

I am a fan of Suitner and some of his Dvorak, but I do not think anyone could make 1 to 3 interesting enough for me.

alkan

I agree with Larry Rinkel  .....  the Kersetz set has been a reference for years and it is well recorded.      I find it extremely good and I am very happy with it, although I have not heard other versions .....
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

George

orange

I have Kertesz's and Bernstein's recordings. And I like Bernstein a bit more.

Brian

Quote from: orange on September 14, 2007, 10:19:13 AM
I have Kertesz's and Bernstein's recordings. And I like Bernstein a bit more.
Bernstein's Seventh is quite interesting. He plays it more slowly than everyone I know except Kosler (I think Lenny takes 41 minutes), and the result is a very different kind of drama, and an awful lot of orchestral detail. The finale at first seems hesitant, but then it explodes in a fiery dash to the exit.

sound67

QuoteBernstein's Seventh is quite interesting.

Is it? Usually, the slow Bernstein is about as interesting as the fat Elvis.

See his comatose recording of the 9th.

Thomas

Mark

Quote from: sound67 on September 17, 2007, 02:46:12 AM
Usually, the slow Bernstein is about as interesting as the fat Elvis.

My 'Post of Today', no doubt about it. ;D