New Year 2024

Started by Owen David, January 15, 2024, 01:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen David

Here's a new piece from me entitled New Year 2024. The end is quite different to the beginning is all I'm going to say...

https://owendavidmusic.org/2024/01/15/new-year-2024/

lunar22

I think this is the most charming of all the piano pieces of yours I've heard with both tenderness and quirkiness. I only wish you'd put a bit more effort into the rendering to differentiate the dynamics more between the melodic and accompaniment lines as it all sounds too robotic. If you used Dorico, you could use the new "automatic polyphonic instrument voice balancing" feature which would do most of this for you but I guess otherwise you just need to adjust the velocities manually.

krummholz

This strikes me as a fairly simple, songlike melody, repeated several times with minimal variation. My main complaint is that the dynamic level (overall, not just differential dynamics between voices) is virtually unchanged throughout. The ending on the dominant was unexpected. Generally it's okay, but I guess not my cup of tea.

Owen David

Quote from: lunar22 on January 15, 2024, 11:57:28 PMI think this is the most charming of all the piano pieces of yours I've heard with both tenderness and quirkiness. I only wish you'd put a bit more effort into the rendering to differentiate the dynamics more between the melodic and accompaniment lines as it all sounds too robotic. If you used Dorico, you could use the new "automatic polyphonic instrument voice balancing" feature which would do most of this for you but I guess otherwise you just need to adjust the velocities manually.

Thanks for the Dorico tip.  Glad you felt it had some merit. Granted, playback is an issue.

Owen David

Quote from: krummholz on January 16, 2024, 06:47:43 AMThis strikes me as a fairly simple, songlike melody, repeated several times with minimal variation. My main complaint is that the dynamic level (overall, not just differential dynamics between voices) is virtually unchanged throughout. The ending on the dominant was unexpected. Generally it's okay, but I guess not my cup of tea.

I wouldn't call a melody that passes through three key signatures with several complex modulations necessarily "fairly simple" but on the other hand I am happy for any melody of mine to be called songlike. Virtually all of the best loved classical works (ie those large numbers of people will happily pay money to see performed) have songlike melodies at their heart. But then if it's not your cup of tea, there's no point in choking on it, is there?