Author Topic: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)  (Read 181780 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century up to the 21st Century
Re: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)
« Reply #1240 on: June 26, 2021, 04:54:16 AM »
“My music is best understood by children and animals.” - Igor Stravinsky

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1241 on: June 26, 2021, 04:58:09 AM »
A little but quite interesting interview with Martinu. It's the first time I hear his voice:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YritqHoV_zQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YritqHoV_zQ</a>

How interesting!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #1242 on: June 26, 2021, 06:50:14 AM »
A little but quite interesting interview with Martinu. It's the first time I hear his voice:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YritqHoV_zQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YritqHoV_zQ</a>

Yes, very nice, thank you for this. Though Czech does have a slow, peculiarly subdued character, he seems to read out the answers, yet the content - and hearing his voice - is certainly worth it :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 11:24:49 PM by MusicTurner »

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #1243 on: June 26, 2021, 11:20:44 PM »
Thanks and I shouldn’t have said anything negative about this Thomson set anyway, because I do still have some sentimental attachment to it --- it was my first Martinů symphony cycle. I will say this and please excuse my profanity, but the Scots play the s*** out of this music! :D

Yet another illustration of "different strokes for different blokes".

I cannot help but hear the usual perfunctoriness in Jarvi's Martinu. I put him well below Neumann.

That doesn't need to take away anything from your enjoyment of the Scots' playing.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1244 on: June 27, 2021, 05:14:06 AM »
Yet another illustration of "different strokes for different blokes".

I cannot help but hear the usual perfunctoriness in Jarvi's Martinu. I put him well below Neumann.

That doesn't need to take away anything from your enjoyment of the Scots' playing.

Certainly you mean Thomson and not Järvi? Oh and I enjoy Thomson’s conducting. So, for me, it’s the complete package: great conductor, orchestra and sound quality.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 05:23:35 AM by Mirror Image »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1245 on: June 27, 2021, 06:06:00 AM »
For those that are interested, this is a fantastic read:

It gives a revealing insight into his own life and thinking. One thing that Martinů really struck a chord with me was humble and grateful he was for everything in his life and what a remarkable life it was!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1246 on: July 07, 2021, 01:27:57 AM »
Martinu: Symphony No. 4 [Thomson]

I like the lighthearted and playful opening movement of this work which is filled with positive energy and optimism. An element of doubt creeps in around the middle section of the movement which is also very exciting. That is gradually worked through and we end up with an assertive and determined conclusion to the movement. These mixed moods continue into the second movement but things are a little bit more disconcerting and filled with nervous tension here with that wonderful brass, lower register strings and timpani. There is a lyrical and calming trio in the middle section which is an oasis of calm. The third movement is a contrast to the nervous, driven energy but the music is still tension filled and disconcerting; the slower tempo can make it even more so. The final movement opens with a menacing tone. The tension is gradually built up to a positive resolution and conclusion. The scoring is wonderful throughout this terrific work.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1247 on: July 08, 2021, 06:28:31 PM »
Martinu: Symphony No. 4 [Thomson]

I like the lighthearted and playful opening movement of this work which is filled with positive energy and optimism. An element of doubt creeps in around the middle section of the movement which is also very exciting. That is gradually worked through and we end up with an assertive and determined conclusion to the movement. These mixed moods continue into the second movement but things are a little bit more disconcerting and filled with nervous tension here with that wonderful brass, lower register strings and timpani. There is a lyrical and calming trio in the middle section which is an oasis of calm. The third movement is a contrast to the nervous, driven energy but the music is still tension filled and disconcerting; the slower tempo can make it even more so. The final movement opens with a menacing tone. The tension is gradually built up to a positive resolution and conclusion. The scoring is wonderful throughout this terrific work.

Excellent description, Fergus! I love the 4th very much --- oh hell, I love them all who am I kidding?!?!? :P Anyway, I’ve come around to the Thomson set and I appreciate his performances the more I listen to them. I’m still in the midst of going through his cycle, but I’ve enjoyed every minute of it thus far.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1248 on: July 09, 2021, 01:28:36 AM »
Excellent description, Fergus! I love the 4th very much --- oh hell, I love them all who am I kidding?!?!? :P Anyway, I’ve come around to the Thomson set and I appreciate his performances the more I listen to them. I’m still in the midst of going through his cycle, but I’ve enjoyed every minute of it thus far.

Cheers, John, and yes, there are all good.  :)
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1249 on: July 09, 2021, 04:45:31 AM »
Cheers, John, and yes, there are all good.  :)

Indeed, they are!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1250 on: July 15, 2021, 02:33:54 AM »
Martinu: Symphony No. 5 [Thomson]

There is a palpable sense of excitement, tension and ebullience in the opening movement. This is not always extravagantly overt but it is pervasive especially in the build up to the conclusion of the movement. The scherzo-like middle movement is much in the same vein as the first with some interesting episodic passages. The scoring and orchestral textures are also interesting. Clouds appear in the opening of the final movement and change the mood completely. These are ultimately dispelled, however, and the music eventually re-emerges into the sunshine. Once again, the scoring and orchestral textures draw one's attention.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1251 on: July 23, 2021, 04:25:56 AM »
Martinu: Symphony No. 6 [Thomson]

Very lyrical in nature, the work is filled with tension, mystery and drama with the occasional piece of magic thrown in. The tone is not oppressive however, but exciting and intriguing. The same could well be said for its musical language. I also really like both the orchestration and the harmonies throughout the work.