What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GioCar

André

The Montreal Symphony season for 2019-20 has been announced and is the most interesting by far in a number of years. It's also Nagano's last. Plenty of guest conductors are lined up, and one of them will presumably be chosen as the orchestra's next MD. Suspense...

king ubu

last week:

Heinz Holliger, Oliver Schnyder & Friends – Zürich, Tonhalle-Maag – 05.03.2019

Heinz Holliger Oboe, Klavier
Oliver Schnyder Klavier
Sérgio Fernandes Pires Klarinette
Andrea Cellacchi Fagott
Pascal Deuber Horn

Ludwig van Beethoven Klavierquintett Es-Dur Op. 16
György Kurtág aus ,,Játékok" (Spiele) für Klavier zu vier Händen

Heinz Holliger BMC, für Marta & György, für Klavier solo (Uraufführung)
Heinz Holliger Der zwanzigfingerige ChineSenn, aus ,,Chinderliecht", für Klavier zu vier Händen
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Klavierquintett Es-Dur KV 452

Couldn't miss the opportunity to catch Holliger playing oboe - although these piano & winds quintets are hardly favourites of mine so far. The Beethoven was a bit difficult for me, coming from work, adjusting to concert mode ... I'm sure they played it splendidly, but so far it's not a piece I connect with really. The Holliger was scheduled to follow before the break, but the not pre-announced premiere performance of his new piece "BMC" (Budapest Music Center, the place where the Kurtágs live) caused the switch. So before the break, Holliger sat down to Schnyder's left and they played three pieces from "Játékok" - great fun, they ought to have played 30 pieces really! After the break, Holliger played his new piece on the piano, then was joined by Schnyder again for the piece chosen from his children's pieces/tales cycle, where one pianist (Holliger as far as I could see) only plays the ivories, while the other only plays the ebonies ... so there you go, a mix of c major and c sharp pentatonic - pretty weird, pretty dissonant, pretty charming, too (made me think of the Oulipo movement, of which there's a fine new series of German translations coming out couertesy of Diaphanes). The Mozart to end things then was a most pleasant surprise - so far I never connected with it either, but this time it just worked dandily, a most enjoyable piece with such a wide array of colours, and of course all of those to-die-for melodies that Mozart always invented. Gorgeous! As an encore they just did the last movement again, and even better I found.

--

1. La Scintilla-Konzert – Zürich, Opernhaus – 07.03.2019

Orchestra La Scintilla
Riccardo Minasi
Violine, Viola & Leitung

Johann Sebastian Bach: Brandenburgische Konzerte 1-6 (BWV 1046-1051)

To kick off the 20th anniversary season of La Scintilla has played all six concerts pour plusieurs instruments by that guy Sebastian Bach, which later got to be known as "Brandenburg Concertos". Officially founded in 1998 as a split of the orchestra of the Zurich Opera, La Scintilla has a much longer history harking back to the legendary Monteverdi and Mozart productions with Harnoncour/Ponelle (alas before my time) - they have invited Riccardo Minasi to conduct (and play) the full run of four concerts.

It was wonderful to hear these in concert (a first for me) and again, finally fully connect with the music, via experiencing how it's orchestrated and all that (I know that can be done by listening at home - and maybe doing some reading, but a concert just beats everything else). In the first, the horns were amazing (but obviously you can still shock the petty bourgeois public with the sound of old winds) and Minasi played both the violino piccolo and a regular violin. On the second, the trumpet was just dandy, but it was the third that was my highlight of the first half, with the three trios (three violins, violas and celli), all of them playing their own (solo) voices, with a small continuo (hps and bass) - what an amazing piece of music!

Concertos nos. 4-6 I found even better, although the balance was a bit off with the recorders and the traverso - not the ensemble's fault really, but rather the room's which just swallowed too much of the flute sounds before they made it my way, up on the central gallery. No. 5 was fantastic, Mahan Esfahani played the harpsichord the dual-manual one, including some call-and-response effects (for a few of the concertos he played another, one-manual instrument), and he first got applause for his long cadenza right after the others resumed playing, than got a loooooong applause after that movement, and another one after the concerto was finished. No. 6 was another highlight, with Minasi playing one of the two violas now - what a wonderful sound!

--

Janine Jansen/Alexander Gavrylyuk – Kammermusiksoirée – Zürich, Tonhalle-Maag – 10.03.2019

Janine Jansen Violine
Alexander Gavrylyuk Klavier

Robert Schumann Sonate Nr. 1 a-Moll op. 105
Clara Schumann Drei Romanzen op. 22
Johannes Brahms Sonate Nr. 2 A-Dur op. 100 ,,Thuner Sonate"

César Franck Sonate A-Dur
Zugabe: Lili Boulanger Nocturne

Sunday late afternoon, Tonhalle's artist in residence of the 2018/19 season, Janine Jansen, had her penultimate appearence (fourth of five total, should have been six but she had to cancel one), this time in a chamber setting - and that made perfect sense, as her last appearance with Mozart's fifth concerto was going in that direction: an intimate reading that was not a shiny solo performance, but rather a dialogue with the orchestra (which was rather small, but still too large to make it fully work, I thought). Now with Gavrylyuk (new to me) she had a splendid partner on stage, he was attentive and at the same time strong in his own right ... the first half was kind of a Schumann kin set, with the sonata by Robert and the pieces by Clara wonderful indeed. The Brahms gives me a bit less, musically, but it was played very well, too (it was also the only of the pieces I've already heard in concert, about a year ago with Julia Fischer/Yulianna Avdeeva - that was another great Sunday afternoon recital). After the break, the Franck sonata was to follow ... and with Jansen's approach, indeed that well-known (and beloved) piece sounded almost as if she and Gavrylyuk were just inventing it while they were going ... stunning! And they played a nice encore, too.

--

Next up:

Enrico Onofri/Zürcher Kammerorchester (Händel, Geminiani, Sammartini, Galuppi, Barsanti) - March 19
Collegium Novum Zurich/Heinz Holliger (Zimmermann, Huber, Kurtág, Schreker) - March 23
Béatrice Berrut (Schumann, Liszt etc.) - Solothurn, March 24
Rachel Harnisch/Jan Philip Schulze (Schubert, Mahler, Strauss, Crumb) - March 25

Thinking of skipping the CNZ only because there's just too much going on ... but I bet it would be great!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Judith

Went to a wonderful one last weekend
Oslo Philharmonic
Soloist Nikolai Lugansky
Vasily Petrenko

Tchaikovsky Romeo & Juliet
Grieg Piano Concerto
Rachmaninov Symphony no 1

Encores. Rachmaninov Etudes tableaux ( not sure which one)
Elgar Chanson de Matin

Third time have seen Petrenko live, twice with RLPO and one with Oslo. Live or recorded has never let me down🎼🎼

NikF4

Janacek: Katya Kabanova

I'm not at at all familiar with this work, although I'm sure many forum posters (inc. North Star?) are. In any case, at relatively short notice two tickets have come my way and I can think of a couple of candidates who would be glad to accompany me, one of whom has never attended any kind of live performance before.

https://bachtrack.com/opera-listing/theatre-royal-43/katya-kabanova/12-march-2019/19-15

NikF4

Quote from: Judith on March 12, 2019, 05:12:14 AM
Went to a wonderful one last weekend
Oslo Philharmonic
Soloist Nikolai Lugansky
Vasily Petrenko

Tchaikovsky Romeo & Juliet
Grieg Piano Concerto
Rachmaninov Symphony no 1

Encores. Rachmaninov Etudes tableaux ( not sure which one)
Elgar Chanson de Matin

Third time have seen Petrenko live, twice with RLPO and one with Oslo. Live or recorded has never let me down🎼🎼

Sounds really good.  8)

Wanderer

May at the Concertgebouw:

Beethoven: Missa solemnis in D major, op. 123

Freiburger Barockorchester
RIAS Kammerchor
conductor
René Jacobs
soprano
Polina Pastirchak
alt.alto
Patricia Bardon
tenor
Steve Davislim
bass
Johannes Weisser

Berlioz: Requiem, H 75, op. 5 'Grande messe des morts'

Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest
conductor
Antonio Pappano
tenor
Javier Camarena
Groot Omroepkoor
Koor van de Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF4 on March 13, 2019, 10:18:09 AM

I'm not at at all familiar with this work, although I'm sure many forum posters (inc. North Star?) are. In any case, at relatively short notice two tickets have come my way and I can think of a couple of candidates who would be glad to accompany me, one of whom has never attended any kind of live performance before.

https://bachtrack.com/opera-listing/theatre-royal-43/katya-kabanova/12-march-2019/19-15

This is my favorite opera from Janáček, Nik. This should be a memorable performance as it's really one of his most passionate works.

NikF4

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2019, 06:31:50 AM
This is my favorite opera from Janáček, Nik. This should be a memorable performance as it's really one of his most passionate works.

We were told that tickets were for the performance taking place on the 16th, but when we went to collect them were then told it had been for the 14th...

e:

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF4 on March 29, 2019, 06:45:29 AM
We were told thrt tickets were for the performance taking place on the 16th, but when we went to collect them were told it had been for the 14th...

Well, will the 14th be a problem? If not, enjoy my friend. :)

bhodges

A great opera. I have seen it 3-4 times at the Met, though they haven't done it in awhile, and each time was quite moved. One time was -- believe it or not -- on Christmas Day! (As wonderful as it is, it's not exactly everyone's "holiday favorite."  ;D )

Of course, there are no guarantees in a live performance, but you are likely in for a marvelous experience. Do report back, please.

--Bruce

Brian

What Concerts Are You Hoping People in New York Are Going To?

May 8:

Mozart, Wind Quintet in E-flat Major, K. 452 (arr. for nonet by Jean Françaix)
de Falla, Harpsichord Concerto in D Major
Martinů, Harpsichord Concerto, H. 246
Strauss, Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, Op. 28 (arr. for nonet by Brett Dean)

Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
Mahan Esfahani, harpsichord

damn that's cool.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on March 29, 2019, 11:34:43 AM

May 8:

Strauss, Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, Op. 28 (arr. for nonet by Brett Dean)

damn that's cool.

Yeah it is. Especially for the Eulenspiegels arrangement.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on March 29, 2019, 11:34:43 AM

May 8:

damn that's cool.

Very cool program, especially the Martinů and Falla.

NikF4

The catalogue for the RSNO new concert season arrived just now. This concert is already on my list.

Vaughan Williams: Overture to The Wasps
Vaughan Williams: The Lark Ascending
Stravinsky: The Firebird Suite (1945)
Ravel: Pavane pour une infante défunte
Vaughan Williams: The Future World Premiere

Martin Yates CONDUCTOR
Sharon Roffman VIOLIN
Ilona Domnich SOPRANO
RSNO Chorus
Gregory Batsleer DIRECTOR, RSNO CHORUS

North Star

Quote from: Brewski on March 29, 2019, 07:25:23 AM
A great opera. I have seen it 3-4 times at the Met, though they haven't done it in awhile, and each time was quite moved. One time was -- believe it or not -- on Christmas Day! (As wonderful as it is, it's not exactly everyone's "holiday favorite."  ;D )

Of course, there are no guarantees in a live performance, but you are likely in for a marvelous experience. Do report back, please.

--Bruce
A great way to spend the holidays with the in-laws!  :laugh:

Yes, as Bruce and John said, a wonderful work.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF4

Quote from: North Star on April 01, 2019, 03:44:24 AM
A great way to spend the holidays with the in-laws!  :laugh:
Yes, as Bruce and John said, a wonderful work.

Cheers. Yeah, hopefully I'll manage to catch it one day.

Christo

Quote from: NikF4 on April 01, 2019, 02:38:44 AM
Vaughan Williams: The Future World Premiere

Never saw any mention of it before, and I see that the programme announces it as "an amazing rediscovery: The Future, a visionary masterpiece for chorus and orchestra that's never been heard before".  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

NikF4

Quote from: Christo on April 01, 2019, 05:36:15 AM
Never saw any mention of it before, and I see that the programme announces it as "an amazing rediscovery: The Future, a visionary masterpiece for chorus and orchestra that's never been heard before".  ???

Christo, I thought maybe that it was maybe one of those cases where there's small print such as '*premiered in this format' or something. So it's new to you? If no one here knows anything about it I'll ask around.

Christo

Quote from: NikF4 on April 01, 2019, 05:53:12 AM
Christo, I thought maybe that it was maybe one of those cases where there's small print such as '*premiered in this format' or something. So it's new to you? If no one here knows anything about it I'll ask around.
It appears to be a 1908 setting of a poem by Matthew Arnold - so the RVW studies tell us (some online). But indeed I'd never heard anything about it before, will check (don't have the book here) if Michael Kennedy knows more about it.

E.g. here: https://books.google.nl/books?id=HgkHDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA136&lpg=PA136&dq=%22The+future%22+%22Vaughan+Williams%22+%22Matthew+Arnold%22&source=bl&ots=K3zkl7wa7o&sig=ACfU3U1YUKr383a-ZGf1C0BELPETGGA-AQ&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjd89zymK_hAhULuRoKHdghBSEQ6AEwAHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=%22The%20future%22%20%22Vaughan%20Williams%22%20%22Matthew%20Arnold%22&f=false
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948