Another one died last Wednesday!!

Started by johnQpublic, December 09, 2007, 10:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Oh, Andrew Imbrie. Sad news again!

I know that Andrew Imbrie was a much respected teacher in San Francisco but have never heard a note of his music. I suppose that the fact that he was a pupil of Roger Sessions may have put me off!

However, to honour his memory I have just ordered his Symphony No.3 on an old CRI Cd from Amazon. There is also a Bridge CD of his Requiem and Piano Concerto No.3 which is available via ArkivMusic. The Requiem is described as both "beautiful" and "difficult".
Anybody familiar with these works?

gomro

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 09, 2007, 10:39:46 AM
Oh, Andrew Imbrie. Sad news again!

I know that Andrew Imbrie was a much respected teacher in San Francisco but have never heard a note of his music. I suppose that the fact that he was a pupil of Roger Sessions may have put me off!

However, to honour his memory I have just ordered his Symphony No.3 on an old CRI Cd from Amazon. There is also a Bridge CD of his Requiem and Piano Concerto No.3 which is available via ArkivMusic. The Requiem is described as both "beautiful" and "difficult".
Anybody familiar with these works?

It's been 25 years or more since I've heard any Imbrie. Fourth String Qt. All I recall about it was that I liked it quite a bit. Sorta Bartoky, Schoenbergy, that type of thing. I guess I need to refresh my memory...

johnQpublic

I got the Bridge CD, Dun. Probably last May.

I remember the Piano Concerto being more enjoyable of the two.

Is he like Sessions? Yes, very much so.

Chafing Dish

I was a student of Imbrie for a time. I recommend, of his music, a piece called To a Traveller. Inspired by a very lovely poem from Ken Rexroth's Poems from the Chinese.

Other than that, he has a nice 2nd Piano Trio. I can't say much about his Requiem, though the back story about losing his teenage son is very moving.

RIP (belatedly -- I only joined this forum today.)