Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on August 24, 2015, 01:30:21 PM
My first ever contribution to this thread I think!

I think so too (your first here). I was actually shocked when I saw your post, thinking, what the hell is Jeffrey doing here?  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

My first ever contribution to this thread I think! Heard Symphony 90 in London last night. It has a really weird fake ending. Everyone applauds and then it starts up again. The conductor (Andris Nelsons) hammed it up by pretending to look for the 'missing music' underneath the score. A very enjoyable symphony even though I went to the concert for the Barber and Shostakovich works.

Welcome to The Haus, Jeffrey, kind of you to come. Symphony #90 is one of our favorites, we discussed it not long ago, in fact. Some conductors really lean on the false ending (Rattle is one) while others just take it as it comes. If you don't know the work, it will get you every time!   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Now Jeffrey's here, it's a party! 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 24, 2015, 02:51:04 PM
Welcome to The Haus, Jeffrey, kind of you to come. Symphony #90 is one of our favorites, we discussed it not long ago, in fact. Some conductors really lean on the false ending (Rattle is one) while others just take it as it comes. If you don't know the work, it will get you every time!   :)

8)

Kind of you to welcome me here!  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on August 24, 2015, 05:15:51 PM

Made me laugh. I shall be burning all my Miaskovsky, Vaughan Williams, Shostakovich, Bax etcetc CDs and only listening to Haydn from now on.  8)

PS I see that some recordings offer alternative versions of Symphony 90, with and without applause. On my way to the concert my brother was saying how much he prefers Haydn to Mozart, whilst recognising the genius of both.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

My first ever contribution to this thread I think! Heard Symphony 90 in London last night. It has a really weird fake ending. Everyone applauds and then it starts up again. The conductor (Andris Nelsons) hammed it up by pretending to look for the 'missing music' underneath the score. A very enjoyable symphony even though I went to the concert for the Barber and Shostakovich works.
Chamber Music Next?

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on August 25, 2015, 01:19:01 AM
Chamber Music Next?
:)

OT

Actually, I'll have you know, I do listen to some chamber music, like Shostakovich, Schnittke, Weinberg, Bloch piano quintets and a lot of Bloch's chamber music - all VW's chamber music output. I love Bax's Harp Quintet and much more. Although I mainly listen to orchestral, that is true - now, where is that Haydn boxed set?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2015, 12:14:18 AM
Made me laugh. I shall be burning all my Miaskovsky, Vaughan Williams, Shostakovich, Bax etcetc CDs and only listening to Haydn from now on.  8)

PS I see that some recordings offer alternative versions of Symphony 90, with and without applause. On my way to the concert my brother was saying how much he prefers Haydn to Mozart, whilst recognising the genius of both.

Your brother sounds a wise man. My own experience with both composers is very deep, and I find Mozart easier to like, while Haydn is more rewarding long-term. Of course, they are my two favorite composers, so expressing a preference is difficult. OK, Haydn then.  0:)

8)

Brahmsian

Welcome to the Haus, Jeffrey:)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 18, 2015, 11:39:49 AM
Ray,

Here is what I was thinking about #84 when I covered it a few weeks ago. Not just the middle movements are great either!

More from/for Paris

8)

Excellent write up, Gurn!  :)  Perhaps we could nickname it 'The Orphan'?  :P  #84, I'll be revisiting this one several times to truly get familiar with it.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 25, 2015, 04:21:37 AM
Excellent write up, Gurn!  :)  Perhaps we could nickname it 'The Orphan'?  :P  #84, I'll be revisiting this one several times to truly get familiar with it.

Thanks, Ray. As for your last, I think the Paris (and London) works suffer from being a part of a set, and so they don't get the individual attention they deserve. All on their own, each of these is well worth a close listen, as it will be well repaid. :)

8)

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on August 24, 2015, 05:15:51 PM

As I'm feeling a bit of a gate-crasher at this party I thought I must actually actively look out some Haydn in my collection and, guess what? I found some. In a DGG boxed set of music conducted by Ferenc Fricsay. So, I am now listening to 'The Seasons' (live recording Berlin 1961) and I am greatly enjoying it - partly as it is very different to the music I usually listen to. It is not a bit like Glazunov's 'The Seasons' . 8)

George

[asin]B0018RAMCA[/asin]

Now enjoying the final CD in this lovely set. Buchbinder plays with class and high energy when required. Highly recommended and at budget price!

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2015, 08:59:02 AM
As I'm feeling a bit of a gate-crasher at this party I thought I must actually actively look out some Haydn in my collection and, guess what? I found some. In a DGG boxed set of music conducted by Ferenc Fricsay. So, I am now listening to 'The Seasons' (live recording Berlin 1961) and I am greatly enjoying it - partly as it is very different to the music I usually listen to. It is not a bit like Glazunov's 'The Seasons' . 8)

No, it isn't  8)

Inspired by your recent concert, I listened to the 90th . . . again (which is to say, it is one of that still considerable number of "Papa's" symphonies which I am pretty sure I have listened to before, but do not recall by number).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on August 25, 2015, 09:03:24 AM
[asin]B0018RAMCA[/asin]

Now enjoying the final CD in this lovely set. Buchbinder plays with class and high energy when required. Highly recommended and at budget price!

Cheers, George!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on August 25, 2015, 09:03:50 AM
No, it isn't  8)

Inspired by your recent concert, I listened to the 90th . . . again (which is to say, it is one of that still considerable number of "Papa's" symphonies which I am pretty sure I have listened to before, but do not recall by number).

Good to hear [asin]Karl[/asin]. Which symphonies would you and Gurn recommend to the Haydn novice?

My brother had a much loved Form Tutor when he was at school in the 1960s whom he kept in touch with until the teacher died. He was apparently besotted with Haydn's music.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2015, 09:12:07 AM
Good to hear Karl. Which symphonies would you and Gurn recommend to the Haydn novice?

That's really a question on which I must to defer, not only to our Gurn, but to the Sarge and Greg, who I am sure have better granularity with the lot.  As it is, I would just recommend the last 15 I've listened to—and they're worth it, but the answer would really just reflect the accident of my listening  :)

Quote from: Jeffrey (vendermolen)My brother had a much loved Form Tutor when he was at school in the 1960s whom he kept in touch with until the teacher died. He was apparently besotted with Haydn's music.

Having found it so engaging a rabbit-hole myself, I do not doubt it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA