Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

M, Traverso is back in Taiwan.  He's probably seen this there, but we in the US can only hope that it will be released here.  He is a genius at finding excellent music that is impossible to source outside Asia.  So sad!

Aha!  Just as I thought: the listing at HMV Japan.

Bunny

Gurn, those Warner sets are not always released in the USA.  For some reason Warner only releases them in Europe and Asia; and if they are released here they are released at much, much, much higher prices.  >:(

Also available through HMV UK priced at £17.99. Better shipping prices than HMV Japan. 

Que

Quote from: traverso on June 24, 2008, 03:53:17 AM
ps.  A Warner box of Harnoncourt's previous recordings of middle Haydn symphonies with Concentus musicus has been released at the low price point.   Good to hear them again!

Also at jpc for €27 (click picture)

Q

маразм1

http://www.russiandvd.com/store/product.asp?sku=33973&lang=eng

this recording is great because it features the original intended instrument -- keyed trumpet.  I read that it is nearly unplayable by todays standards, but it sounds really great: nice and mellow.  Interesting is that all the trills in the recording are lipped.  Considering how difficult and unfriendly this instrument is, great great job, Mark Bennett!

d.

Sorin Eushayson

I have that recording too; marvelous!  The oboe concerto is great fun as well.  Here it is at Amazon.com.  Highly recommended.

Antoine Marchand

These could be two (or 20) very attractive additions for any Haydn collection:

The first one:
Haydn, Klavierstücke (complete). Fantasias-Variations-Dances-The Seven Last Words
Format: 5 CD
Label: Brilliant Classics
Bart van Oort performs on a fortepiano after Walter (ca. 1795) by Chris Maene (Ruiselede, 2000).
Very informative 22 pages booklet by the fortepianist Sylvia Berry.
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/2243938?rk=classic&rsk=hitlist

The second:
Haydn: Complete Music for Solo Keyboard
Format: 15CD
Label: Bis
Performer: Ronald Brautigam (fortepiano)
This box set (at budget price) includes: Complete Sonatas Nos. 1-62, Capriccio, Fantasia, Variations, Adagios Minuets, German Dances, Marches.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7746764&style=classical
or
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/3464391
(All tracks on Naxos' website)

Lethevich

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 19, 2008, 09:04:48 AM
This box set (at budget price) includes: Complete Sonatas Nos. 1-62, Capriccio, Fantasia, Variations, Adagios Minuets, German Dances, Marches.
or

Bugger me, that's cheap. Thank you for pointing it out :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 19, 2008, 09:04:48 AM
These could be two (or 20) very attractive additions for any Haydn collection:
or

I put this one on my wishlist, as it hasn't been released here yet. I have a dozen or so on the sonatas that I bought at eclassical, and I must say, Brautigam has a very nice touch with Haydn, I enjoy them all a tad more than I do Schornscheim. BIS had said they wouldn't be releasing this set, sticking with the single disks, so it is very nice to see that they have changed their mind about it. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
The Music Collection - Hummel Sonata in Eb for Piano & Viola Op 5 #3 1st mvmt
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: 12tone. on November 26, 2007, 09:31:06 PM
...You actually need a WDP (wooden disc player) to play this, but seeing as this product came before the WDP, you'll need an add-on.  This is from the WP (wood player) monophonic playback to livesound device which early engineers used to record Haydn conducting his orchestra playing symphony #45.  Unfortunately, due to data transfers and storage capacities only 4 seconds of the symphony were recorded!

!!!!!

. . .

:o

Serious?  Is this some sort of joke?  There's actually a woodblock recording this old of Haydn himself???  Anyone know more about this?

Oh, for Haydn's harpsichord concerti there's this:

A bit bland, but it's the only set out there like it (unless I'm missing something, which is always a possibility ;D).

The new erato

New re-release in this series:

Doubtful if it can be called HIP though. I'm considering it.

Que

This Brautigam reissue is great news! (And the price is great too... ;D)
Thanks, Antoine, for pointing this out! :)
If Gurn prefers Brautigam to Schornsheim - who is already downright excellent - we're in for a treat!

Q

Valentino

I recently bought Quatour Mosaïques Op. 64 set. Superb stuff.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Bruckner is God

Can anyone recomend a recording of these works?
Preferably a modern recording with good sound.

Todd

Modern (and HIP): Quatour Mosaiques

Older, traditional: Budapest Quartet (on United Archives)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Bruckner is God

Thanks.
What about the Naxos discs with the Kodaly Quartet?
I've heard great things about these recordings, and they are cheap.

Gurn Blanston

Modern (and HIP): Quatour Mosaiques (vote #2)

More modern than the Budapests: Tokyo String Quartet (on Sony Essential Classics) from the same era as their definitive recording of Op 50.

Dark horse pretty modern: Carmina Quartet (on Denon). Best recording you never heard of. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Haydn String Quartets Op 20 - Kodaly Quartet - Haydn Quartet in D for Strings No 27 Op 20 4 1st mvmt

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Todd

Quote from: Bruckner is God on November 18, 2008, 03:37:54 PMWhat about the Naxos discs with the Kodaly Quartet?

Very good; they could serve as a good entry point into this music.  (The entire cycle is now available for $100, to boot.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bruckner is God on November 18, 2008, 03:37:54 PM
Thanks.
What about the Naxos discs with the Kodaly Quartet?
I've heard great things about these recordings, and they are cheap.

Nothing at all wrong with them. As you see, I am listening to them right now!  In Op 76 they have more competition, since it is considered to be the pinnacle of Haydn's SQ oeuvre. If a quartet only recorded 1 opus, this will probably be it. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Kodaly Quartet - Haydn Quartet in D for Strings No 27 Op 20 4 1st mvmt

Josquin des Prez

Modern (and HIP): Quatour Mosaiques

Older, traditional: Tatrai Quartet (Hungaroton)

adamdavid80

Don't know if it's available, but I know 77 is NAILED by the Smithson with Jaap Schroeder leading the way.

That being said, anything with the Quatour Mosaiques is bound to be great (I only have their Mozart Hunt, but, hey, it's Christopher Coin...he can sneeze and it's music).  (the late lamented M strongly recommended his Haydn cello concerto, and he couldn't have been more right)
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning