Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on July 18, 2012, 07:46:49 AM
The Chicago brass in that Previn recording of the Fourth are something else, Jeffrey.

Karl

I also a great fan of Previn's recording of Symphony 10 (EMI). The second movement is controversially slow but it helps you to hear it in a different way - which I rather like.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Beale

Ok, a question about the fifth symphony to stay on topic.

Reading the Classicstoday.com reviews, it appears there are two ways for a conductor to approach the finale. Victor Carr Jr wrote this about Lorin Maazel and the Cleveland Orchestra: "Maazel's finale builds to an excitingly affirmative conclusion–the kind prevalent before the revisionist "ironic" ending popularized by Rostropovich".

Now compare David Hurwitz on Yakov Kreizberg and Russian National Orchestra: "Kreizberg, like Sanderling, is absolutely convinced that the finale does not represent a "happy" ending."

So what do you prefer?

Karl Henning

I think that the musical question has been burdened with the politicization of The Shostakovich Wars.

On my own bottom line, there are two points:

1. In terms of the narrative of the composer's career:  Since the symphony was pointedly an olive branch for rehabilitation (survival, really) I do not see Shostakovich risking any appearance of thumbing his nose.

2. In purely musical terms:  I don't see the slower VS. faster tempo as simply mapping onto grief VS. joy.  Is the fast tempo of the Scherzo of the Tenth symphony an indication of happiness?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Beale on July 19, 2012, 04:58:10 AM
Ok, a question about the fifth symphony to stay on topic.

Reading the Classicstoday.com reviews, it appears there are two ways for a conductor to approach the finale. Victor Carr Jr wrote this about Lorin Maazel and the Cleveland Orchestra: "Maazel's finale builds to an excitingly affirmative conclusion–the kind prevalent before the revisionist "ironic" ending popularized by Rostropovich".

Now compare David Hurwitz on Yakov Kreizberg and Russian National Orchestra: "Kreizberg, like Sanderling, is absolutely convinced that the finale does not represent a "happy" ending."

So what do you prefer?

I prefer neither...or rather, I want it both ways. Which I turn to on any given day depends on my mood. As I've said elsewhere, my two favorite performances have finales that demonstrate those interpretative differences: Rostropovich/National makes the ending sound like repeated violent stabs to the heart while Bernstein/New York is unalloyed triumph.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Dancing Divertimentian

An overlooked 4th from Rozhdestvensky is this fire-breathing account with the Bolshoi:

The sound is better than what I've heard from the more common USSR Ministry of Culture DSCH recordings.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Fafner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 19, 2012, 05:34:56 AM
I prefer neither...or rather, I want it both ways. Which I turn to on any given day depends on my mood. As I've said elsewhere, my two favorite performances have finales that demonstrate those interpretative differences: Rostropovich/National makes the ending sound like repeated violent stabs to the heart while Bernstein/New York is unalloyed triumph.

I obviously don't get it.  I thought you are supposed to play it as though it is unalloyed triumph, but the over-the-top orchestration and off-kilter harmony plants the seed in your mind that something is being mocked.

Dancing Divertimentian

Another dark horse but really shouldn't be: Shostakovich was present at this recording (fine 1958 stereo sound):

[asin]B000003XK2[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

mahler10th

Jarvi and the SNO accounts of Shosty have not yet won acclaim here.   :'(

Dancing Divertimentian

Almost forgot this near one-stop from Wigglesworth:

[asin]B00000JF6O[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Scots John on July 19, 2012, 11:10:42 AM
Jarvi and the SNO accounts of Shosty have not yet won acclaim here.   :'(

I did give a thumbs up for his recording of Symphony 4.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 19, 2012, 10:21:15 AM
An overlooked 4th from Rozhdestvensky is this fire-breathing account with the Bolshoi:

The sound is better than what I've heard from the more common USSR Ministry of Culture DSCH recordings.

Looks like a very interesting CD. I have his recording on Olympia.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 19, 2012, 10:46:03 AM
Another dark horse but really shouldn't be: Shostakovich was present at this recording (fine 1958 stereo sound):

[asin]B000003XK2[/asin]

I have this CD and agree that it is an excellent performance deserving of greater attention.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2012, 01:18:22 PM
Looks like a very interesting CD. I have his recording on Olympia.

I forgot to mention it's live. It'd be interesting to compare the two.

Octo_Russ

I have this recording of the Fifth, i've always been endeared to it, though i hear a number of people don't rate Bychkov, plus there's no coupling.
I'm a Musical Octopus, I Love to get a Tentacle in every Genre of Music. http://octoruss.blogspot.com/

mahler10th

Quote from: Octo_Russ on July 19, 2012, 04:04:05 PM

I have this recording of the Fifth, i've always been endeared to it, though i hear a number of people don't rate Bychkov, plus there's no coupling.

What a shame.  I think Bychkov is one of few who bring the best out of the music before him.  Never heard his Shostakovich though.  Must trace that and have a listen.

mahler10th

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2012, 02:40:46 AM
You won't regret it! It is the most extaordinary experience listening to it - from the angry shouted protests at the start to the wild ovation at the end. All very moving in the circumstances. The Rimsky Korsakov fillers are very fine too.  By the way I don't agree with the review on Amazon.com and posted my own on Amazon UK - but you must make your own mind up and I'll be interested to hear what you think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Evgeny-Svetlanov-State-Symphony-Orchestra/dp/B0059B0BZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1342694735&sr=1-1

I must get that.  That must be the same night as Rostropovich did Czech Dvoraks Cello Concerto to the same audience.  Brilliant.  It is my No1 on must get.

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on July 19, 2012, 05:15:22 AMI think that the musical question has been burdened with the politicization of The Shostakovich Wars.

On my own bottom line, there are two points:

1. In terms of the narrative of the composer's career:  Since the symphony was pointedly an olive branch for rehabilitation (survival, really) I do not see Shostakovich risking any appearance of thumbing his nose.

2. In purely musical terms:  I don't see the slower VS. faster tempo as simply mapping onto grief VS. joy.  Is the fast tempo of the Scherzo of the Tenth symphony an indication of happiness?

I agree with you here. I don't think the actual music points either way.

Karl Henning

The ambivalence is, I think, one of the indicators of the music's strength.  It works smokin' hot, and it works cool.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Separately . . . here is what Hurwitz says of the Ančerl/Cz Phil recording of the Tenth:

Quote from: David HurwitzIt's amusing to remember that for much of the 1960s, Deutsche Grammophon was a local German label, and every so often we see evidence of its roots. Nothing else accounts for the notes to this release, which spend nearly all of their time talking about Wolfgang Schneiderhan and the Berlin Philharmonic while hardly mentioning Karel Ancerl and completely neglecting the Czech Philharmonic (and for much of the '50s and '60s the Czech orchestra was better than Berlin). Indeed, good as the Schneiderhan/Ancerl Stravinsky concerto is (and it's very good indeed, particularly in the two inner movements that Stravinsky labeled Aria I and Aria II), the real draw is this best-ever performance of Shostakovich's Tenth Symphony.

Recorded in 1956, just a couple of years after its premiere, this reading by Ancerl and the Czech Philharmonic still blows away most of the competition, including Mravinsky and Leningrad. The first movement flows spontaneously and effortlessly forward, rising to a massive central climax. Ancerl's scherzo never has been bettered, either for its playing or in its demonic drive and uninhibited emotional intensity (Mitropoulos actually was a bit faster, but far less disciplined). The third movement, with its evocative horn calls, sees Ancerl emphasizing its cool, mechanical rhythms to unsettling effect, while the finale flies by on a surge of adrenaline, those amazing Czech winds well to the fore. I can't imagine another European orchestra at this time that technically could have offered anything close to this achievement.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA