Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2016, 04:53:26 PM
Only 1 recommendation so far? Im disappointed in GMG  :'(

There is an entire thread on the subject. Here is a link to a modern recording that I reviewed.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,699.msg863705.html#msg863705

The recordings I listen to most are:
Klemperer with Wunderlich and Ludwig
Kubelik live with Janet Baker
Levine with Norman and Jerusalem
And the above one that I have linked to.

MIke
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Madiel

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2016, 04:53:26 PM
Only 1 recommendation so far? Im disappointed in GMG  :'(

Well you asked for the best on record. I own and know one. I don't feel qualified to offer a recommendation.

Meanwhile on the Faure thread I'm suffering a similar fate when it comes to asking people about the Requiem.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SurprisedByBeauty

ritter

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on October 13, 2016, 01:38:06 PM
Why, here's a whole bunch:
Gustav Mahler – Das Lied von der Erde (Part 1)

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/07/gustav-mahler-das-lied-von-der-erde_01.html

Bernstein, Haitink, Nagano et al.
Great to see the (relatively obscure) Kletzki recording receive high praise, Jens! My favourites are:

[asin]B000B668U4[/asin]
[asin]B010OVTONS[/asin]

Cheers,

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: ritter on October 13, 2016, 11:46:00 PM
Great to see the (relatively obscure) Kletzki recording receive high praise, Jens! My favourites are:

Cheers,

It's wonderful, indeed, and I was very happy to have Kletzki pointed out to me; turns out that he is a wonderful conductor altogether.

On LvdE: Nagano-Gerhaher-Vogt would be higher, still, if the latter hadn't been spliced in in the studio, I think. Drats.

Heck148

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 11, 2016, 07:08:52 PM
Ok, I'm looking for some recs, sooooo....Best Das Lied von der Erde on record....GO!

Walter/NYPO/Miller, Haefliger
Reiner/CSO/ Forrester, Lewis

wouldn't want to be without either.

Heck148

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 11, 2016, 07:17:21 PM
But on the subject of the 3rd, nothing matches the mystical and other-worldly beauty of Bernstein/NYP on DG recording. It's massive.

Yes, Bernstein/NYPO II is very fine, one of my favorites. Top billing goes to Levine/CSO, tho, for me....and for the finale Adadio - Martinon/Chicago - live from 1967 [CSO in 20th Century archival set] is unmatched, really magical...must have been amazing in live concert hall.

relm1

I am enjoying this new recording of No. 2 by Gergiev and the Muenchner Philharmonic

http://www.warnerclassics.com/shop/3251597,0793052112042/muenchner-philharmoniker-mahler-symphony-no-2-resurrection

It is an energetic performance and faster tempos compared to contemporary recordings which seemed to have seriously slowed down post Lenny II.

Reckoner

Quote from: relm1 on October 16, 2016, 08:49:30 AM
I am enjoying this new recording of No. 2 by Gergiev and the Muenchner Philharmonic

It is an energetic performance and faster tempos compared to contemporary recordings which seemed to have seriously slowed down post Lenny II.

His recording of the 2nd with the LSO is even quicker by about three minutes in total.  :)

relm1

Quote from: Reckoner on October 16, 2016, 09:07:33 AM
His recording of the 2nd with the LSO is even quicker by about three minutes in total.  :)

Yes, but it wasn't a good interpretation.  I am enjoying this interpretation.  It won't knock the best out of the running but it is enjoyable and high quality.  BUT...I haven't heard the finale yet.  Will report back in 35 minutes.

EDIT: Ok, now done.

One of my favorite things to do on a Sunday morning...sipping coffee while listening to a great work like Mahler 2 and following along in the full score.

I love the distant horn sound in the fifth movement. 

I love the trombone choral and its slow build up but really wished the horns at rehearsal 11 (Weider Breit) really came through stronger here.  I love how Inbal treats this section.  Just check out Inbal's phenomenal horns at rehearsal 11 here:

https://youtu.be/Aw0W3Mb-Gjo?t=3517

And especially take note of the Frankfurt horns at 59:34.  Have they ever been bettered?

Ok, back to Gergiev/Muenchner.  The bells sound small, like orchestral chimes rather than cathedral bells.   Again, the horns at fff are under powered in rehearsal 16. 

The chorus and soloists are very fine and I love the solemnity at the choral entrance.  I would say the emphasis of this performance is on beauty.  The final 15 minutes when the chorus enters is very, very beautiful and well phrased.  There is a delicate touch to the phrasing.  If you prefer power and thunder, you might find this slightly underwhelming.  Organ entrance is nicely balanced but not thundering.

This is a live recording and the occasional stage noises and audience sounds can be heard but are never distracting.  This recording has great clarity and I sense it isn't a humongous orchestra (by Mahler 2 standards).  For example, the pizzicato strings are very clear and don't have a large body sound but rather a tight sound.

My overall conclusion is this is a solid new recording, tempos are very well judged and the recording quality is of consistently high standards.  It is a somewhat measured reading and is not earth shattering which is fine if you think of this as very good music.  If you think this is something bigger than just very good music, then you might prefer more grandiosity from interpreters like Bernstein (both with LSO and NYPhil) who conducted this as if his life depended on the performance or Ivan Fischer which this recording does not displace.  I find Inbal to be a good balance between other worldly apocalypse and this being one of the great musical achievements of late romanticism and he also really pushes his fantastic horn section of the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra in those important climaxes. 

Crudblud

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 11, 2016, 07:08:52 PM
Ok, I'm looking for some recs, sooooo....Best Das Lied von der Erde on record....GO!

Klemperer '67 with Fritz Wunderlich and Christa Ludwig is my personal favourite.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I have never forgiven Klemperer for the time he butchered Symphony number 7..................................

Crudblud

Quote from: jessop on October 18, 2016, 02:35:54 AM
I have never forgiven Klemperer for the time he butchered Symphony number 7..................................

That was a rough one, but not legitimate reason to discount his Second or Das Lied, both of which are excellent.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Crudblud on October 18, 2016, 02:41:59 AM
That was a rough one, but not legitimate reason to discount his Second or Das Lied, both of which are excellent.
Ah yes, the 2nd is good but the one which most people cite as his 'great' recording of the 2nd has been edited slightly for CD release so it can fit in under 80 minutes I think........

Crudblud

Quote from: jessop on October 18, 2016, 03:13:09 AM
Ah yes, the 2nd is good but the one which most people cite as his 'great' recording of the 2nd has been edited slightly for CD release so it can fit in under 80 minutes I think........

Next time I listen I'll probably spend the whole time listening for edits. Thanks...

Oh well, it isn't my favourite second, so not to worry.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Crudblud on October 18, 2016, 03:16:20 AM
Next time I listen I'll probably spend the whole time listening for edits. Thanks...

Oh well, it isn't my favourite second, so not to worry.
From what I am aware, the recording was ever so slightly digitally sped up for the first CD release. I don't think it is noticeable.

Mirror Image

What are everyone's favorite recording(s) of Rückert-Lieder? This has become a bit of a pet work of mine lately or so it seems. I was absolutely enchanted with Hampson/Bernstein the other night, but have since listened to Ludwig/HvK, Baker/Barbirolli, and Fischer-Dieskau/Bohm. My preference is for a baritone and the rich timbre of Hampson really hits me in the right spots. Bernstein's accompaniment is also assertive, but soulful and, ultimately, heart-wrenching, especially by the time we get to Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen, which needs no introduction or elaboration.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 18, 2016, 08:34:18 PM
What are everyone's favorite recording(s) of Rückert-Lieder? This has become a bit of a pet work of mine lately or so it seems. I was absolutely enchanted with Hampson/Bernstein the other night, but have since listened to Ludwig/HvK, Baker/Barbirolli, and Fischer-Dieskau/Bohm. My preference is for a baritone and the rich timbre of Hampson really hits me in the right spots. Bernstein's accompaniment is also assertive, but soulful and, ultimately, heart-wrenching, especially by the time we get to Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen, which needs no introduction or elaboration.

Rückert-Lieder, Kindertotenlieder, Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen

The best singer to tackle these.

amw

André

Maureen Forrester with Ferenc Fricsay (DGG)