Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: relm1 on July 28, 2018, 05:49:13 AM
Which recording of Barshai's orchestration of 10 do you recommend?

I believe there is only his, but happily it is not just my favorite for the version but also the playing.

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/06/gustav-mahler-symphony-no10-part-2.html

Ainsi la nuit

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 29, 2018, 04:42:01 AM
I believe there is only his, but happily it is not just my favorite for the version but also the playing.

There is also Ashkenazy conducting the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, a recording from 2012. I haven't heard it myself, but just thought to let you know!

Maestro267

Listening to Mahler 1 currently (CBSO/Rattle), and I always feel like the first movement never really gets into full stride. It starts slowly and then begins to accelerate, but never feels like it has reached full speed. It's in a constant state of acceleration, if that makes any sense.

Meanwhile, I've literally just now noticed how similar the main theme of the 2nd movement is to the theme blared out by the brass in the middle of the scherzo of Symphony No. 2.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 29, 2018, 10:30:37 AM
Listening to Mahler 1 currently (CBSO/Rattle), and I always feel like the first movement never really gets into full stride. It starts slowly and then begins to accelerate, but never feels like it has reached full speed. It's in a constant state of acceleration, if that makes any sense.

I think that Mahler was going for an effect of alternating stasis and animation.  Tonally, too, the movement spends most of its time in the environment of D minor and major, and the development section, which unusually begins by returning to the tonality as well as the atmosphere of the introduction, only really starts moving quite late into the movement.

If I could speculate, I think that Mahler wants the first movement to not gain too much internal momentum so that its conflicts can be resolved later with the finale (which recapitulates large chunks of the first movement).

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 29, 2018, 10:30:37 AMMeanwhile, I've literally just now noticed how similar the main theme of the 2nd movement is to the theme blared out by the brass in the middle of the scherzo of Symphony No. 2.

Yeah, they're both triadic horn call figures of a pretty standard type.  I think the scherzo of the Second is a much more interesting movement, though.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Ainsi la nuit on July 29, 2018, 09:20:07 AM
There is also Ashkenazy conducting the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, a recording from 2012. I haven't heard it myself, but just thought to let you know!

Oh, yes, I had not realized that before. Thanks much for pointing it out!

bwv 1080

Think I may have posted some of this before, but Jazz pianist Uri Caine has done two albums of Mahler arrangements that often reveal some of the roots of the music, for example here is the Funeral March from the 5th Symphony done by a Klemzer band

https://www.youtube.com/v/urtnR6iFDpE

and the march from the first symphony

https://www.youtube.com/v/x3efe-G2mxo

André

This recording of the 10th is quite an experience:

The Musicweb reviewer was moved to write at great length on it, going so far as getting a score of Ganzou's realization to fully understand the conductor's intent:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/Nov/Mahler_sy10_WER51222.htm

In his own writing on the work Ganzou states that we'll never know how the work would have sounded, therefore any realization is a matter of conjecture. It does at times sound wild and garish, but I'd rather have that than the 'skeletal' impression I have alluded to in another post.

This performance is a one-off and, as Marc Bridle (Musicweb) correctly states, « a performance today would no doubt sound very different ». My own reaction throughout was one of awe and total adherence. I was sucked in the listening experience as I rarely am. When listening to a performance of the 10th I usually have the feeling of watching a documentary. It was emphatically not the case here. Recorded in concert at the Philharmonie, Berlin. With the sound turned up, the impact was tremendous.

knight66

Thank you Andre, I had no idea of this version. I have ordered it as it sounds fascinating.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

bhodges

Noting this with great interest as well. "Wild and garish" in this case might be pluses.

--Bruce

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: André on August 04, 2018, 06:37:11 PM

Quote from: knight66 on August 07, 2018, 01:15:38 PM
Thank you Andre, I had no idea of this version. I have ordered it as it sounds fascinating.

Yes, thank you for uncovering this M10. I've also ordered it (although I have doubts it will eclipse Cooke/Levine).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

André

Geez, I feel some heat...  8)

calyptorhynchus

I'm sure one of you will be able to answer this question.

My first recording of Das Lied was a cassette bought around 1982 from one of those budget labels of the time. The only thing i remember about it was that the cover was black with white lettering and some red.

Can anyone tell me the performers?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Mahlerian

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 22, 2018, 02:50:25 PM

My first recording of Das Lied was a cassette bought around 1982 from one of those budget labels of the time. The only thing i remember about it was that the cover was black with white lettering and some red.

Best I can do is send you to this list.  Hopefully one of the covers looks familiar:
http://gustavmahler.net.free.fr/daslied.html
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

relm1

The Musicweb reviewer was moved to write at great length on it, going so far as getting a score of Ganzou's realization to fully understand the conductor's intent:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/Nov/Mahler_sy10_WER51222.htm

In his own writing on the work Ganzou states that we'll never know how the work would have sounded, therefore any realization is a matter of conjecture. It does at times sound wild and garish, but I'd rather have that than the 'skeletal' impression I have alluded to in another post.

This performance is a one-off and, as Marc Bridle (Musicweb) correctly states, « a performance today would no doubt sound very different ». My own reaction throughout was one of awe and total adherence. I was sucked in the listening experience as I rarely am. When listening to a performance of the 10th I usually have the feeling of watching a documentary. It was emphatically not the case here. Recorded in concert at the Philharmonie, Berlin. With the sound turned up, the impact was tremendous.

I found this online and am listening now.  Not convinced it is special but holding out hope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe3spGupjro

Madiel

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 22, 2018, 02:50:25 PM

Google image searching and discogs suggest this Klemperer version as a slight possibility. https://www.discogs.com/master/view/529369

Because:

1. Discogs records it as having being released in Australia on World Record Club/World Cassette Club on a couple of occasions in the 1970s, and

2. At least some issues of the recording would fit your description. However it's difficult to tell because these things get reissues SO many times in so many covers.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Madiel on August 23, 2018, 05:22:59 AM
Google image searching and discogs suggest this Klemperer version as a slight possibility. https://www.discogs.com/master/view/529369

Because:

1. Discogs records it as having being released in Australia on World Record Club/World Cassette Club on a couple of occasions in the 1970s, and

2. At least some issues of the recording would fit your description. However it's difficult to tell because these things get reissues SO many times in so many covers.

It might have been that one, but I should have said that in 1982 I was located in the UK. I know these recordings get repackaged when reissued, but there haven't been that many recordings of DLvdE, or there hadn't by 1982. I'm surprised myself that a google image search didn't bring up the image.

Perhaps this is the question to ask, in the early 1980s in the UK there were two budget classical labels, one was Classics for Pleasure (and the recording I have in mind wasn't the CfP Gibson recording) and there was another one, can anyone remind me what it was called?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

SurprisedByBeauty

knight66

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 23, 2018, 01:07:35 PM
It might have been that one, but I should have said that in 1982 I was located in the UK. I know these recordings get repackaged when reissued, but there haven't been that many recordings of DLvdE, or there hadn't by 1982. I'm surprised myself that a google image search didn't bring up the image.

Perhaps this is the question to ask, in the early 1980s in the UK there were two budget classical labels, one was Classics for Pleasure (and the recording I have in mind wasn't the CfP Gibson recording) and there was another one, can anyone remind me what it was called?

One of the other bargain lables was Ace of Clubs and it was owned by Decca, but I don't recall any Das Lied and the obvious candidate, Ferrier/Walter was kept as a premium recording for decades. The BBC went through a phase of issuing live recordings at bargain price. They had a Leppard Das Lied with Janet Baker. I don't know whether they ever issued cassettes.

All the big lables had cheap offshoots. But as you don't recall any names from the version you had, I don't suppose looking at the big name catalogue listings will ring bells.

Mike

knight66

This performance is a one-off and, as Marc Bridle (Musicweb) correctly states, « a performance today would no doubt sound very different ». My own reaction throughout was one of awe and total adherence. I was sucked in the listening experience as I rarely am. When listening to a performance of the 10th I usually have the feeling of watching a documentary. It was emphatically not the case here. Recorded in concert at the Philharmonie, Berlin. With the sound turned up, the impact was tremendous.

Got it and listened yesterday. It certainly tests the HiFi system with the extremes of dynamics. I could barely hear the opening, then almost blew the windows out. I need to get better acquainted with it. Although I enjoyed that first run through, I was not keen on the much repeated thwacking of the bass drum.

Mike

knight66

As an aside, tonight i will be in chorus for piano rehearsals of the Mahler 8 with Daniel Harding. I think he has only conducted it twice before. His first performance was live streamed and I felt quite encouraged, as he allowed the music to breathe without it becoming sluggush. I am looking forward to it. Orchestral rehearsals are on Sat/Sun, with the performance closing the Edinburgh Festival on Sunday evening.

Mike