Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

I will try again, this time choosing recordings that I can remember being consistently praised since ca. 1970

(1) Kubelik/BRSO
(2) Klemperer/Philharmonia (studio recording)
(3) Horenstein/LSO
(4) Szell/Cleveland
(5) Barbirolli/New Philharmonia (has his detractors)
(6) Still can't say, possibly Szell again
(7) Bernstein/NYPO
(8) Solti/Chicago SO
(9) Haitink/Concertgebouw - the 'ideal Mahler 9' according to Gramophone
(10) Rattle/Bournemouth SO
DLvdE - Walter/VPO/Ferrier/Patzak

I realise most (all?) now also have vintage status but can't think of more modern recordings that have achieved 'classic' status or anything approaching a consensus for that status.

Until joining this forum I had only heard good opinions of Abbado. I have generally enjoyed his Mahler recordings but, No 7 apart, don't revisit them very often.

Cato

Leopold Ludwig  must be an option for a classic Mahler Ninth Symphony.

[asin]B0000023HN[/asin]

My original record had some hiss, but perhaps this remastering has tamed that snake?  Anyway, a marvelous performance!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Biffo

Quote from: San Antone on January 17, 2019, 07:59:49 AM
Looks like I chose the wrong time to talk about Mahler songs with SQ.  ::)

I did listen to the 'Wayfarer' songs from this album but couldn't find much to say that was very positive or very negative. In the end I refrained from commenting.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: JBS on January 17, 2019, 07:35:01 AM
In that case, substitute Bernstein DG for everything except 5,6, 10, and DLvdE :D

My own opinion is that a lot of the older famous recordings are not really better than the modern ones, and often modern sonics gives the latter definite advantage.

I'm with you on that. That's the nature of "golden age" recordings. The reception of it works into how we appreciate it. We remember our impression, not the thing itself. Fascinating sub-genre or record-reviewing psychology. :-)

Cato

Quote from: Cato on January 17, 2019, 07:56:17 AM
Leopold Ludwig  must be an option for a classic Mahler Ninth Symphony.

[asin]B0000023HN[/asin]

My original record had some hiss, but perhaps this remastering has tamed that snake?  Anyway, a marvelous performance!

Found it on YouTube, and the hiss seems to be gone!

From early stereo days: 1959!  This was my "imprint" for the Mahler Ninth Symphony!  Played it dozens and dozens of times!

https://www.youtube.com/v/_mK_9oVvACs

André

Quote from: Cato on January 17, 2019, 08:25:41 AM
Found it on YouTube, and the hiss seems to be gone!

From early stereo days: 1959!  This was my "imprint" for the Mahler Ninth Symphony!  Played it dozens and dozens of times!

https://www.youtube.com/v/_mK_9oVvACs

My favourite M9, the antithesis of all the neurotic farewells to the world we usually get.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Biffo on January 17, 2019, 07:54:41 AM
I will try again, this time choosing recordings that I can remember being consistently praised since ca. 1970

(1) Kubelik/BRSO
(2) Klemperer/Philharmonia (studio recording)
(3) Horenstein/LSO
(4) Szell/Cleveland
(5) Barbirolli/New Philharmonia (has his detractors)
(6) Still can't say, possibly Szell again
(7) Bernstein/NYPO
(8) Solti/Chicago SO
(9) Haitink/Concertgebouw - the 'ideal Mahler 9' according to Gramophone
(10) Rattle/Bournemouth SO
DLvdE - Walter/VPO/Ferrier/Patzak

That would be (almost) my list of classic performances. I'd substitute Solti's Sixth for Szell's (although I love that one too and, in fact, was in the audience at one of those performances in 1967) and Ormandy's 10th for Rattle's (hate it). Ormandy really digs into the emotional depths of the last movement. Rattle is just meh.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 17, 2019, 12:23:21 PM
That would be (almost) my list of classic performances. I'd substitute Solti's Sixth for Szell's (although I love that one too and, in fact, was in the audience at one of those performances in 1967) and Ormandy's 10th for Rattle's (hate it). Ormandy really digs into the emotional depths of the last movement. Rattle is just meh.

Sarge

I recently got the enormous Szell box, maybe the Mahler 6th will be the first thing I dig out of there.

Unless there are other suggestions....

Madiel

You realise I'm going to have to go back over the last page and take notes for future reference...

I'm still bummed that a blind listening on Symphony No.2 collapsed partway through and I never found out just which version it was that I'd be enjoying in the opening roudns.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 17, 2019, 12:25:18 PM
I recently got the enormous Szell box, maybe the Mahler 6th will be the first thing I dig out of there.

Szell's Sixth is rather objective, classically restrained until the final A minor fate chord...and that chord is absolutely devastating.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Try his Kodály Háry János and Janáček Sinfonietta (majestic fanfares).

Sarge

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 17, 2019, 12:42:25 PM
Try his Kodály Háry János and Janáček Sinfonietta.

Sarge

Amen!   0:)

Are the 4symphonies of Robert Schumann in it?  Put those near the top of the list!  Or a "Ring der Nibelungen" highlights?  That one too!  It was so fantastic that critics were urging Szell to record all four operas!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Cato on January 17, 2019, 12:45:45 PM

Are the 4symphonies of Robert Schumann in it?  Put those near the top of the list!  Or a "Ring der Nibelungen" highlights?  That one too!  It was so fantastic that critics were urging Szell to record all four operas!

Completely agree with the Wagner highlights, and Szell's 2 and 4 Schumann.

Sarge

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 17, 2019, 12:36:29 PM
Szell's Sixth is rather objective, classically restrained until the final A minor fate chord...and that chord is absolutely devastating.

Sarge

That sounds appealing.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 17, 2019, 12:42:25 PM
Try his Kodály Háry János and Janáček Sinfonietta.

Sarge

Oooooh, I wasn't even aware he recorded the Janacek. I'll put the Janacek and Kodaly at the top of the list with the Mahler.

Quote from: Cato on January 17, 2019, 12:45:45 PM

It's got all of the Columbia (now Sony) recordings. The Schumann is one of the things I already have (and enjoy).

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 17, 2019, 12:23:21 PM

Sarge

Ah, that's it! Ormandy is the classic-classic 10th, of course.

Cato

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 17, 2019, 01:34:26 PM
Ah, that's it! Ormandy is the classic-classic 10th, of course.

Yes, even though it lacks Cooke's later thoughts about the movements, it remains a powerful version!

PerfectWagnerite

I enjoy all the recordings everyone mentioned above.

My favorite Mahler 9th is this one:

[asin]B000ENC6VE[/asin]

Just a really atmospheric, edgy recording with a focus rarely heard. THe audience noise is a bit upsetting at times but that's about it. It has been OOP for a long time but you can listen to it on youtube for free.

Another recording I really like is Chailly's RCO M3, gloriously played and recorded.

André

Actually, Maderna's is a joint favourite with the Ludwig version. Edgy and atmospheric is a good description.

For the Szell 6th (Sony) the volume must be turned up quite a bit for best effect. The recording is light in bass. But what an edge of seat performance !

Papy Oli

I'll throw in Ancerl for the 9th and Reiner for the 4th   8)
Olivier

Biffo

Quote from: San Antone on January 17, 2019, 08:26:54 AM
I thought it was noteworthy mainly from the standpoint of hearing the orchestral songs stripped down to string quartet.  But maybe I am alone in being interested in that kind of thing.  I would like to hear more recordings with different singers.

Mahler composed versions with piano accompaniment for all the songs in this album. They are available from various singers.