Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renfield

Maazel VPO cycle being ripped as I type this. Impressions will follow, when available. ;)

(And I do remember I also owe my impressions of Tennstedt's latest-issued 2nd. But it has puzzled me in a way few recordings I've ever heard have managed, and so I delay them until I've revisited a couple of other favourite 2nds, first.)

Scarpia

Quote from: Renfield on May 29, 2010, 07:10:10 AM
Maazel VPO cycle being ripped as I type this. Impressions will follow, when available. ;)

(And I do remember I also owe my impressions of Tennstedt's latest-issued 2nd. But it has puzzled me in a way few recordings I've ever heard have managed, and so I delay them until I've revisited a couple of other favourite 2nds, first.)

I'm one of the nay-sayers on this one.  I got #2 when it first came out and it was wonderful, but when I got the cycle later I was extremely displeased.  The recording of 5 was what turned me, extremely fussy performance, never letting the VPO cut loose or develop any momentum.

Marc

Why Mahler? with Norman Lebrecht.

Perhaps some Mahlerians on this board are interested in hearing this.

http://rapidshare.com/files/365555182/WHY_MAHLER.mp3

BMW

Quote from: Renfield on May 29, 2010, 07:10:10 AM

Are live, Tennstedt versions of all nine Mahler symphonies readily available?  His is my favorite cycle but it seems that in nearly every discussion of his work you hear that it was even better live.

Opus106

Quote from: BMW on May 31, 2010, 09:08:48 AM
Are live, Tennstedt versions of all nine Mahler symphonies readily available?

A live version of the 9th was posted at SymphonyShare (registration required, and is free) just yesterday. While you're there, you will also find quite a few Bruckner/Tennstedt.
Regards,
Navneeth

Renfield

Quote from: BMW on May 31, 2010, 09:08:48 AM
Are live, Tennstedt versions of all nine Mahler symphonies readily available?  His is my favorite cycle but it seems that in nearly every discussion of his work you hear that it was even better live.

I have the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th (on DVD) live by Tennstedt. I know there's another 1st out there, as well.

Interestingly, all of the above rank among - if they aren't outright - my favourite versions of the respective symphonies. And his studio 4th is probably my favourite on record, making me positively yearn for a hypothetical live one that, following the pattern, tops it!

Edit: These are all officially released. I've no idea what exists unofficially. :)

BMW

Quote from: Opus106 on May 31, 2010, 09:12:59 AM
A live version of the 9th was posted at SymphonyShare (registration required, and is free) just yesterday. While you're there, you will also find quite a few Bruckner/Tennstedt.

Many thanks for directing me towards this group!  Looks great!

Quote from: Renfield on May 31, 2010, 09:14:17 AM
Interestingly, all of the above rank among - if they aren't outright - my favourite versions of the respective symphonies. And his studio 4th is probably my favourite on record, making me positively yearn for a hypothetical live one that, following the pattern, tops it!

There is one on Symphony Share!  :D

jlaurson

The beginning of yet another Mahler cycle.

Frankfurt. Jaervi.

"Bruckner, I love; but Mahler is an addiction..."

P.J.: "I know exactly what you mean!"

G. Mahler
Symphony No.2
Frankfurt RSO
Jaervi

Opus106

How did he manage to record for two different labels at the same time? (I'm assuming that the Bruckner recordings are on-going. And, I have no knowledge of the history of performers extensively recording for different labels during the same period, if any.)
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Quote from: BMW on May 31, 2010, 10:12:23 AM
Many thanks for directing me towards this group!  Looks great!

It's my pleasure. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Opus106 on May 31, 2010, 11:49:58 AM
How did he manage to record for two different labels at the same time? (I'm assuming that the Bruckner recordings are on-going. And, I have no knowledge of the history of performers extensively recording for different labels during the same period, if any.)

Two labels? Three, if not four.

RCA/Sony with Bremen.

Virgin/EMI with Frankfurt.

Telarc with Cincinnati. [Only until the end of this season]

??? with Orchestre d'Paris.

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on May 31, 2010, 11:57:12 AM
Two labels? Three, if not four.

RCA/Sony with Bremen.

Virgin/EMI with Frankfurt.

Telarc with Cincinnati. [Only until the end of this season]

??? with Orchestre d'Paris.

Oh! I didn't know that they could do that sort of thing. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Opus106 on May 31, 2010, 12:01:19 PM
Oh! I didn't know that they could do that sort of thing. ;D

He doesn't have an exclusive contract... simple as that. Just like Yannick Neguet-Seguin records for Atma Classique and EMI or Papa Jaervi for DG, BIS, and whatnot. (Though YN-S will probably be made an exclusive EMI artist as soon as his contractual agreement with the Canadians runs out...)

greg

Quote from: jlaurson on May 31, 2010, 11:40:35 AM
The beginning of yet another Mahler cycle.

Frankfurt. Jaervi.

"Bruckner, I love; but Mahler is an addiction..."

P.J.: "I know exactly what you mean!"

G. Mahler
Symphony No.2
Frankfurt RSO
Jaervi

Mmmm.... Jarvi- nice!

I saw Norrington mentioned earlier on this thread. Anyone hear it? Just read about it (apparently people don't like it at all), and it's supposed to be the fastest recording of the Adagio. The slowest recording is supposed to be Levine's, I suppose... listening to a clip of that one on youtube, and  :o .

greg

Found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eifnz72jLT0

The 5 levels of Mahler enthusiasm. Hilarious.

greg

And another thing I'd like to share.

http://ipromesisposi.blogspot.com/2010/02/mahler-9-sinfonia.html

Here you can download many different recordings of Mahler 9:
Walter, Barbirolli, Horenstein, Klemperer, Guilini, Bernstein/Berlin, Karajan live, Sinopoli, Boulez, Levine/Munich Phil, Abbado, Chailly, and Rattle.
(13 in all)

I found this since I was looking for Levine... I also hear that his recording with Philadelphia is supposed to be better, since it has better sound, but I still can't wait to listen to this one.

The only other ones I have on this list are: Karajan live and Chailly.  :o
Talk about a nice discovery!

Opus106

Quote from: Greg on May 31, 2010, 05:39:29 PM

Walter, Barbirolli, Horenstein, Klemperer, Guilini, Bernstein/Berlin, Karajan live, Sinopoli, Boulez, Levine/Munich Phil, Abbado, Chailly, and Rattle.
(13 in all)

I found this since I was looking for Levine... I also hear that his recording with Philadelphia is supposed to be better, since it has better sound, but I still can't wait to listen to this one.

That's like an overdose of death.
Regards,
Navneeth

Renfield

Quote from: Greg on May 31, 2010, 05:39:29 PM

(13 in all)

Perhaps the most facepalm-worthy thing for me is when I realised I only lack Levine, Giulini, Boulez and Horenstein, from the above, all by choice, and Sinopoli, which should be finding its way to me by the end of the month; and then felt sad I couldn't be as excited. :(

But yeah, good find if you've only heard these two. :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Renfield on June 01, 2010, 04:59:20 AM
Perhaps the most facepalm-worthy thing for me is when I realised I only lack Levine, Giulini, Boulez and Horenstein, from the above, all by choice, and Sinopoli, which should be finding its way to me by the end of the month; and then felt sad I couldn't be as excited. :(

It's sad, isn't it, that we are both in a place where a discovery like Greg's doesn't raise even a little tingle of excitement. I only lack Levine and Abbado...and like Greg, I'm more interested in Levine's Philly Ninth. Have no interest in Abbado.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"