Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Scarpia on July 02, 2010, 05:59:15 AM
Far, far superior to the later Czech Philharmonic recording.

Yes the Neumann performances of Mahler 5,9 with Leipzig are much more dramatic than the Czech PO complete set......recommended

Herman

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 02, 2010, 08:49:51 AM
That is a compelling reason to own Abbado's DVDs. On the other hand, it's more entertaining to watch Lenny (superb choreography ;D ) even if the sound and picture qualty isn't up to the latest standards. And really, I have no interest in watching hi-def video of Abbado. I'm too aware of his health problems even in low resolution.

Sarge

Plus you get an extra helping of sideburns in the VPO set.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Herman on July 02, 2010, 09:24:11 AM

One Mahler VPO DVD performance even has Bernstein sporting a full beard.......looks much better without  ::)

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 02, 2010, 05:05:37 AM
Choosing a favorite cycle is difficult since they all have at least one, and usually more, major weaknesses; for example: Bernstein's serious miscalculation using a treble instead of a soprano in the DG Fourth; Chailly's Second; Sinopoli's Fifth; Boulez's Eighth and Sixth (yeah, I know...a favorite of many here); Gielen's Fourth; Rattle's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10  ;D

I'd speak up in defense of that boy soprano.   Young Helmut may not have been the best choice, but my ears think he did a better job of it than some of the females I've heard--whoever did it on Gergiev's recording is one example.  It certainly doesn't come close to ruining the performance for me.  (Anyone know what happened to him later? Or was that the summit of his artistic career?)

But I am with you about Boulez's 8th.  The parts are almost all excellent, but somehow it doesn't gel.

And I've just finished listening to what may be the dreariest Third I've ever heard, courtesy of Rattle.

. I love 'em but they are both very eccentric Mahler conductors. Edit: the same thing could be said about Boulez, too, actually. So, most of my choices are as eccentric as the conductors  :D ).

Sarge

And of course wasn't Bernstein the most eccentric of them all?

Now, if you will excuse me, it's time to listen to Tennstedt's Fifth, and I'll be finished with that EMI big box.

MishaK

Quote from: Herman on July 02, 2010, 09:24:11 AM

The hair-to-dollar ratio is certainly vastly better.

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on July 07, 2010, 08:05:01 AM
happy anniversary, M-boy!

M forever!

>:D

I'd totally forgotten the date. Many, many weeks ago I planned to begin listening to the cycle on this date, one symphony a day for the next nine days [Rx]. (For 2011, I'll end it with the 9th on 18th May.) I think I still have time to listen to the First before settling down to watch the semi-final.
Regards,
Navneeth

Joe Barron

The score is now Mahler 150, Ringo 70.

Peace and love, everyone.

Herman

As it happens I am listening to the extraordinary Haitink RCO (1969) recording of the Ninth now.

Joe Barron

Quote from: Herman on July 07, 2010, 08:44:44 AM
As it happens I am listening to the extraordinary Haitink RCO (1969) recording of the Ninth now.

Is that your favorite? My whole life is a quest for the definitive recording of that symphony.

Scarpia

Quote from: Joe Barron on July 07, 2010, 04:13:00 PM
Is that your favorite? My whole life is a quest for the definitive recording of that symphony.

It's very good.  The analog Karajan is probably my favorite. 

kishnevi

Courtesy of Ionarts.

http://www.mahler150.com/en_GB/home
I notice Jens has already posted his dream cycle there. 
To hear the downloads, it is necessary to register.

The site lists a bunch of OOP recordings as being currently available for purchase, but I didn't see a link to actually purchase them.  One of them is Jens' favorite 8th, the Ozawa.

Mach Spass!

jlaurson

Quote from: kishnevi on July 07, 2010, 05:21:34 PM
Courtesy of Ionarts.

The site lists a bunch of OOP recordings as being currently available for purchase, but I didn't see a link to actually purchase them.  One of them is Jens' favorite 8th, the Ozawa.

Anybody to vote for their dream cycle on the DG site:

Listen to the "Alles Vergaengliche" of Ozawa's 8th (or don't listen to it and just take my word for it) and vote his Boston recording into the Dream Cycle to see it re-issued, at last!

The new erato

I must say I found the sites intent somewhat confusing.

Will the dream cycle (when voting is finished) actually be released on CD?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: erato on July 08, 2010, 01:01:36 AM
I must say I found the sites intent somewhat confusing.

Will the dream cycle (when voting is finished) actually be released on CD?

On the website it says: Mahler – The People's Edition CD box-set. This CD box-set will be released in November 2010.

I'm afraid this will end up being just another box with the versions that have been popular for decades (wanna bet Kubelik's First and Solti's Eighth will be in it?). I'd rather see a box filled with versions that are currently OOP.

So, should I vote for my favorites or vote hoping I'll influence reissues? Decisions, decisions....

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 08, 2010, 05:14:05 AM
On the website it says: Mahler – The People's Edition CD box-set. This CD box-set will be released in November 2010.

I'm afraid this will end up being just another box with the versions that have been popular for decades (wanna bet Kubelik's First and Solti's Eighth will be in it?). I'd rather see a box filled with versions that are currently OOP.

So, should I vote for my favorites or vote hoping I'll influence reissues? Decisions, decisions....

Sarge

I will use ionarts, possibly WETA, as a platform to influence the decision along your lines, if you do the GMG grunt-work.

Let's first agree what we want on the "People's Mahler" set...
I don't think it needs to be an all-OOP box... that would be difficult to manipulate... but I think we can agree that there should be no performance doubling the DG complete set. That it should include interesting performances over easiest common denominator performances, if the latter are easily available. What else?

6. Solti. CSO ???
7. Abbado. BPh ???
8. Ozawa. BSO !!! (I insist)
10. Chailly, RIAS (for lack of complete alternatives?)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on July 08, 2010, 05:52:06 AM
I will use ionarts, possibly WETA, as a platform to influence the decision along your lines, if you do the GMG grunt-work.

Let's first agree what we want on the "People's Mahler" set...
I don't think it needs to be an all-OOP box... that would be difficult to manipulate... but I think we can agree that there should be no performance doubling the DG complete set. That it should include interesting performances over easiest common denominator performances, if the latter are easily available. What else?

6. Solti. CSO ???
7. Abbado. BPh ???
8. Ozawa. BSO !!! (I insist)
10. Chailly, RIAS (for lack of complete alternatives?)

I don't have a problem voting for Ozawa's Eighth. I liked your inclusion of Dohnányi Fourth. His Fifth is terrific too. It may not trump Kubelik but it's certainly worthy...a steely "modern" Fifth with some surprising emotional excess in the second movement. (His Bruckner/Mahler with Cleveland should definitely be back in print.) I appreciate your giving me Solti in the Sixth--a fair trade for the Ozawa Eighth?  ;)

I think I'll go for Ozawa in the Second too (never heard it but want to). Or Klemperer's Concertgebouw performance.

The 10th...yeah, Chailly because it's one of the few listed that are actually complete...or Harding/WP. I don't have either so I could go either way. Since you've already picked Chailly, I'll do the same.

One, three and Seven are problematic. Most of the ones listed are readily available. The ones that aren't I have no compelling urge to hear. Edit: just noticed Scherchen's Seventh on the list. Doesn't seem to be in print now. How about Scherchen then? I could vote party-line Ozawa but I don't want people forever thinking I'm a fanboy  :D )

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

not edward

If there should be any Scherchen on this, it should be the 7th, in my opinion. OK, he does a much darker Seventh than practically anyone, but for me, he makes it work. (And the studio 7th is the only Scherchen 7th I've *not* heard!)

PS: How about the 1954 Kubelik with the Vienna Philharmonic for the 1st? I'd like to hear this!
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 08, 2010, 06:22:51 AM
I don't have a problem voting for Ozawa's Eighth. I liked your inclusion of Dohnányi Fourth. His Fifth is terrific too. It may not trump Kubelik but it's certainly worthy...a steely "modern" Fifth with some surprising emotional excess in the second movement. (His Bruckner/Mahler with Cleveland should definitely be back in print.) I appreciate your giving me Solti in the Sixth--a fair trade for the Ozawa Eighth?  ;)

Ozawa's 8th needs no horse-trading.  $:) ;)

QuoteI think I'll go for Ozawa in the Second too (never heard it but want to).

It's certainly a symphony that his Saito Kinen recording suggests he's good at.

QuoteThe 10th...yeah, Chailly because it's one of the few listed that are actually complete...or Harding/WP. I don't have either so I could go either way. Since you've already picked Chailly, I'll do the same.

Harding ain't that hot. Chailly it is.

QuoteOne, three and Seven are problematic. Most of the ones listed are readily available. The ones that aren't I have no compelling urge to hear. Edit: just noticed Scherchen's Seventh on the list. Doesn't seem to be in print now. How about Scherchen then? I could vote party-line Ozawa but I don't want people forever thinking I'm a fanboy  :D )

Heaven forbid people think you're an Ozawa fanboy.
Can we vote for the Scherchen without knowing its relative merits? I think Abbado's 7th has such great inner movements that I might go for that, even if it *is* available.

The new erato

Give me your list dammit! I'll vote for whatever you experts tell me to!