Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2011, 10:01:31 AM
Walking into a water closet.

Going comfortably, of course.

The oddest marking I have seen is "moderato non troppo"  or "moderately, but not to much."  What does "not too moderately" mean?  Is that slower than moderately or faster than moderately?

Equally puzzling, "molto moderato" or "very moderately."  Huh? 

karlhenning

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 18, 2011, 10:28:33 AM
The oddest marking I have seen is "moderato non troppo"  or "moderately, but not to much."  What does "not too moderately" mean?  Is that slower than moderately or faster than moderately?

Exactly! Is a puzzlement.

Brian

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 18, 2011, 10:28:33 AM

I've only seen that one in P.D.Q. Bach.

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on May 18, 2011, 10:47:47 AM
I've only seen that one in P.D.Q. Bach.

Look at Schubert's last piano sonata.

DavidW

Quote from: Drasko on May 18, 2011, 10:39:12 AM
http://sohothedog.blogspot.com/2011/05/strauss-and-mahler-re-enact-your.html

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is my favorite.

That was funny.  It's a Wonderful Life was my fav, followed by The Seventh Seal.

kishnevi

Marked The Day by listening to the Levine/Munich 9th this morning.
Then Amazon cooperatively arranged, as part of my order from last week, to have the Gergiev 5th and Zinman 10th arrive today.
So I listened to them this afternoon.  Will have to listen to them again before I even start to offer an opinion, although I have to say that the Gergiev was much better than his Fourth, which is probably the worst of that series. 
The Zinman uses the Carpenter version, btw, which I never heard before.

I have to say that, whatever else you think of his Mahler Cycle, Zinman's Ninth is one you should have.  His last movement is the opposite of angst/death--if it's death, it's not the farewell to earth that Zinman shows in the Adagio, but the entrance of the soul into Heaven--it's a musical climb into serenity.

Then continued the day by ordering (on Amazon Marketplace) the MTT 1 (used copy, cross my fingers) and Nagano 8 (new).   They are being reissued next month (at least, the MTT is being reissued in the UK and available from Presto, and the Nagano as part of the HM Gold series). but I didn't want to wait a month!

And, as prelude, last night I pre-ordered the EMI box of Tennstedt's complete Mahler recordings (16 CDs, including alternate recordings of 5, 6, and 7) and the Wunderlich/DFD/Krips recording of DLvdE.    I won't, however, get those until about this time next month.

Now off to decide what I want to do this evening, while I listen to the Vivaldi CD's that also arrived today from Arkivmusic.

ibanezmonster

I will listen to Mahler 10/Chailly today...

klingsor

If anyone wants to hear the Christopher White recording of Mahler 10 (Cooke) arranged for piano solo

https://rapidshare.com/users/M7AOB7/0

Hope the links work, let me know if they don't

karlhenning

Quote from: klingsor on May 20, 2011, 05:00:17 AM
If anyone wants to hear the Christopher White recording of Mahler 10 (Cooke) arranged for piano solo

Dude, you didn't make it to our concert yesterday by any chance?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: klingsor on May 20, 2011, 05:00:17 AM

Now downloading. Ergo: they work. Thanks!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

klingsor

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 20, 2011, 05:04:54 AM
Dude, you didn't make it to our concert yesterday by any chance?

No I did not. I rarely go out on weeknights. Did it go well?

klingsor

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 20, 2011, 05:16:25 AM

Now downloading. Ergo: they work. Thanks!

Good to know. Tell us what you think after listening.

karlhenning

Very nicely, thanks!  There will be a recording, if you might be interested.

(Sorry to de-rail the Mahler thread, gents!)

klingsor

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 20, 2011, 06:12:26 AM
Very nicely, thanks!  There will be a recording, if you might be interested.

(Sorry to de-rail the Mahler thread, gents!)

It's ok, Mahler can take it--remember the Sixth Symphony  :D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just listened to the Purgatorio movement first, as a 'light' taster. I think the transcription is miraculously done, most (all?) of the detail is there. The playing is excellent, too. This movement is one of my favourites in all Mahler, it is inexpressibly haunting and poignant (some of the material comes from a Wunderhorn song, of course).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

klingsor

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 20, 2011, 08:00:17 AM
Just listened to the Purgatorio movement first, as a 'light' taster. I think the transcription is miraculously done, most (all?) of the detail is there. The playing is excellent, too. This movement is one of my favourites in all Mahler, it is inexpressibly haunting and poignant (some of the material comes from a Wunderhorn song, of course).

Yes that movement is particularly well-played. It almost works as a piano piece too.

jlaurson

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 20, 2011, 08:00:17 AM

Just got back from the 10th 'in the flesh and blood'... MDR SO with Jun Maerkl as part of the International Mahler Leipzig Festival (Yesterday Salonen with Dresden Staatskapelle in M3).

What a piece, indeed. A good deal of spotty playing at first (not that Dresden was all that great,  though Leipzig [Chailly M2, the only performance I had to miss] apparently WAS)... but the saved the real bliss for the unbelievable finale.

jlaurson

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on May 22, 2011, 01:50:18 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before (and if it has, then apologies) but the MDR website has a page devoted to the Mahler festival that Jens is referring to.  On it at the moment is a video of a complete Mahler 7 conducted by Nézet-Séguin in the Gewandhaus. 

The Seventh (4th and 5th movement) was AMAZING. Unbelievable.

Here from Night No.2:

Mahler Festival Leipzig: Salonen - Dresden - Third Symphony

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/05/mahler-festival-leipzig-salonen-dresden.html

mc ukrneal

Quote from: jlaurson on May 22, 2011, 03:07:56 AM
The Seventh (4th and 5th movement) was AMAZING. Unbelievable.
Thanks to Soapy and you for this! Enjoyed it tremendously!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!