Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Hey, it works now! I wasn't sure if it was me or not, because I usually browse with a bunch of options turned off, just for speed and lack of visual noise.

MishaK

Quote from: kishnevi on June 05, 2011, 07:46:29 PM
I have (naturlich) both the DG and EMI box.  I think overall the DG box is stronger, and what is best in the EMI box--the well known historical recordings of the song cycles--can be easily obtained as separate CDs.   The only real drawback to the box (which also applies to the EMI version) is that you may already have a few of the recordings they chose to use.   

Other highlights of the DG box include Karajan's 9th and Hampson's recording with Bernstein of the song cycles.

Quote from: jlaurson on June 06, 2011, 11:01:57 PM
DG did an excellent job at picking actual- and consensus-favorites for this box... the only limitation perhaps being that they insisted on having a different conductor for each symphony -- when here or there one conductor might arguably have offered a "best solution" not just in one but two cases. (I'd like to think Sarge, one of our biggest Mahler-addicts of temperate and sound disposition, will more or less agree with this assessment.)
The only serious draw-back of this box is that Mahler collector's have all, or almost all, the performances therein. You may still not find every performance to your liking (either now or later, after you've been more thoroughly been infected with Mahleria), but that'll be due to subjective preferences, not any objective flaws with any of these recordings. In short: this box really does sound like an excellent pick for you.

Agree with both of these. It's about as good a set you can get for the money. Apart from the very idiosyncratic but apparently universally beloved Bernstein VPO 5, all the choices stand up well to the competition and some are really top choice (well, I might also quibble about the Mehta 2, which I think hasn't aged as well as its supporters think, but that's me). The Kremer and friends take on the quintet movement was a surprising gem for me.

not edward

Being somewhat behind the times, I noticed that the Gewandhaus/Neumann Mahler 5 has been reissued on Brilliant Classics. Is this the one that keeps cropping up in people's "best 5ths" lists, or is it a different Neumann recording which does?
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Drasko

Quote from: edward on June 09, 2011, 05:05:34 AM
Being somewhat behind the times, I noticed that the Gewandhaus/Neumann Mahler 5 has been reissued on Brilliant Classics. Is this the one that keeps cropping up in people's "best 5ths" lists, or is it a different Neumann recording which does?

That's the one, also had brief appearance on Regis (that's where I have it) and multiple ones on Edel/Berlin Classics (currently very cheap in Germany).

TheGSMoeller

Hi everyone,

Mahler's 3, 4, 7 and 9 are ones that at some point have been considered my favorite, although the 3rd will always have the edge, still nothing like it in music, truly a one of a kind.

Funny Mahler story...was at a Dallas Symphony performance of Mahler's 2nd symphony, and about two-thirds through the first movement after the great climax, when it repeats back to the beginning of the movement, the crowd started clapping as if the piece was over!!! Poor Andrew Litten was waving his non-baton hand at the crowd as if to yell, "Stop!Stop! We are still playing!!" Very awkward moment.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on June 06, 2011, 11:01:57 PM
DG did an excellent job at picking actual- and consensus-favorites for this box... the only limitation perhaps being that they insisted on having a different conductor for each symphony -- when here or there one conductor might arguably have offered a "best solution" not just in one but two cases. (I'd like to think Sarge, one of our biggest Mahler-addicts of temperate and sound disposition, will more or less agree with this assessment.)

I agree with you (and everyone else who's commented with the exception of eyeresist who is resisting the consensus  ;D ) although DG's edge over EMI is not overwhelming (remember the EMI has the Szell Wunderhorn, Klemperer 2 and DLVDE, Barbirolli 6, the DF-D/Furtwängler Wayfarer, the Baker/Barbirolli Rückert). Still, if I were in Karl's place I'd go for the DG: includes some of my favorites: Karajan 9. Solti 8, Boulez 4, Haitink 3, Kubelik 1.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 09, 2011, 06:29:50 AM
(remember the EMI has the Szell Wunderhorn, Klemperer 2 and DLVDE, Barbirolli 6, the DF-D/Furtwängler Wayfarer, the Baker/Barbirolli Rückert).
Sarge

But all of those are available as invidual recordings in the GROC series, as well as Barbirolli's 5 and 9, except possibly the DF-D Furtwangler, which I think I've seen on the GAOC series.  In fact,  I have all those individual recordings except for the DF-D Furtwangler and the Ferrier-Walter Kindertotenlieder which is also in the EMI box, and is I think also available in the GAOC series.   Never underestimate EMI's devotion to re-releasing older recordings in as many versions as possible :)  And I think the Hampson recording of the song cycles, which is in the DG box, is equal to those in the EMI box.

Scarpia

Clearly they have the sales numbers to look at and know what sells, but I would have thought Universal would have done better with a box of oddball recordings.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 09, 2011, 07:12:31 AM
Clearly they have the sales numbers to look at and know what sells, but I would have thought Universal would have done better with a box of oddball recordings.

Many of us thought that. We were hoping the "People's Choice" set would have included hard-to-get "oddballs." Alas, most people just voted for the usual suspects. Sad, and a needless reissue.

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: edward on June 09, 2011, 05:05:34 AM

The same. Very good stuff, indeed. As is his Seventh with the Gewandhaus.
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=1230

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 09, 2011, 06:29:50 AM
I agree with you ... I'd go for the DG [too]: includes some of my favorites: Karajan 9. Solti 8, Boulez 4, Haitink 3, Kubelik 1.

I don't want to miss this opportunity to dump on Solti's 8th as one of the most overrated, least idiomatic Mahler records of all time.   ;)
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=1375

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 09, 2011, 07:12:31 AM

This box was the right one to make, methinks. But to allow the "Mahler of the People" box to be a mere copy of this one... that's where they failed. They should just have issued a 'Great Rarities' box.

[Edit: I see, Sergeant was there first.]

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on June 09, 2011, 07:17:08 AM
I don't want to miss this opportunity to dump on Solti's 8th as one of the most overrated, least idiomatic Mahler records of all time.   ;)

I was expecting your backlash   :D

Sarge

Scarpia

Quote from: jlaurson on June 09, 2011, 07:17:08 AMThis box was the right one to make, methinks. But to allow the "Mahler of the People" box to be a mere copy of this one... that's where they failed. They should just have issued a 'Great Rarities' box.

The people's choice was a good gimmick, but it has the same problem as in our democracy, "the people" tend to be idiots.   :P   Universal should have taken a page from the banana republics, held the election then tampered with the results to make the set they wanted.   Why not, there is no legal mandate for record companies to follow their own polls.   But I can picture Jimmy Carter on CNN, "we have discovered voting irregularities, certainly in the 6th and probably in the 7th and Das Lied von der Erde as well.  Everyone who tried to vote for Karajan was apparently told the server is busy."

karlhenning

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 09, 2011, 07:26:16 AM
The people's choice was a good gimmick, but it has the same problem as in our democracy, "the people" tend to be idiots.   :P

Don't be hatin' on American Idol!

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 09, 2011, 07:27:40 AM
Don't be hatin' on American Idol!

(Never watch that bilge, myself . . . .)

DavidW

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 09, 2011, 07:26:16 AM
The people's choice was a good gimmick, but it has the same problem as in our democracy, "the people" tend to be idiots.   :P   

This was an amusing reply to Jens because he is one of "the people", his name is on the list! :D  Well I'll admit that I screwed up buying the people's edition, the big box that Karl got is better.  I'll order it and sell the people's edition.

jlaurson

Quote from: DavidW on June 09, 2011, 08:52:34 AM
This was an amusing reply to Jens because he is one of "the people", his name is on the list! :D  Well I'll admit that I screwed up buying the people's edition, the big box that Karl got is better.  I'll order it and sell the people's edition.

These bastards put my name on the list... and I didn't vote for any (well, one -- Chailly's 10th, I think) of the symphonies in the box. In fact, I tried my bit to influence the voting... but my radio station didn't play ball by picking the topic up on the air. :-(

Scarpia

Well, only "the people" are only idiots in a statistical sense.  Sort of like, "I want to live in San Francisco,"  "I want to live in New York" so lets buy a house in Shawnee Oklahoma. 

DavidW

Ah well you tried Jens. :)  Still I think the concept of a fan choice is interesting... the only problem is since when do classical music listeners represent a uniform front?  If we tried that with say Bach's vocal (non-cantata) works we would end up with a mish-mash of MI, HIP and everything inbetween!  Actually that would be fun... :)

Scarpia

Quote from: DavidW on June 09, 2011, 09:12:45 AM
Ah well you tried Jens. :)  Still I think the concept of a fan choice is interesting... the only problem is since when do classical music listeners represent a uniform front?  If we tried that with say Bach's vocal (non-cantata) works we would end up with a mish-mash of MI, HIP and everything inbetween!  Actually that would be fun... :)

I remember a story on NPR about a person who circulated a poll about what people like and don't like in a song.  Then they hired composers to write songs which matched for most favorite and least favorite elements.    The song with least favorite elements featured rapping by a soprano opera singer over a polka band and cowboy guitar, or something along those lines.  The most favorite was more boring, something like an Aretha Franklin tune.

MishaK

Where is that list of names? I voted for a few and was asked whether I wanted my name included and I explicitly told them 'no' and asked to be removed.