Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: eyeresist on December 18, 2011, 04:40:41 PM
Thanks to those who responded regarding the 8th. BTW, after blowing out on this work over the weekend, I am now absolutely sick of it and do not want to hear it again for at least a year!

Is it true that Mahler wrote it in 10 weeks?

:o  ;)

Well, in a years time, make sure to listen to the Sinopoli!

Maybe you should move on to Mahler 6 now! :D

And I think 10 weeks sounds about right.... he wrote it within the summer of 1906.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 19, 2011, 03:02:51 AM
.... he wrote it within the summer of 1906.

Yes, from mid-June to mid-August during his annual vacation. "On the first morning morning of vacation I went up to my Häuschen in Maiernigg, firmly resolved to be lazy (I needed it so badly) and gather my strength. As soon as I entered my old, familiar workroom, the Spiritus creator took hold of me, shaking me and scourging me for eight weeks, until the main part was finished."

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2011, 03:49:19 AM
Yes, from mid-June to mid-August during his annual vacation. "On the first morning morning of vacation I went up to my Häuschen in Maiernigg, firmly resolved to be lazy (I needed it so badly) and gather my strength. As soon as I entered my old, familiar workroom, the Spiritus creator took hold of me, shaking me and scourging me for eight weeks, until the main part was finished."

Sarge

Amazing how such a masterpiece with such powerful forces in size and duration could be completed in such a short time.... I really must visit Mahler's working hut one day, and make it a pilgrimage!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mc ukrneal

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 19, 2011, 05:38:47 AM
Amazing how such a masterpiece with such powerful forces in size and duration could be completed in such a short time.... I really must visit Mahler's working hut one day, and make it a pilgrimage!
You mean you haven't been there? And you call yourself a Mahler fan!!!  :-* :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Amazing how such a masterpiece with such powerful forces in size and duration could be completed in such a short time....

What are you talking about?! Two months' uninterrupted composing? Luxury! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 19, 2011, 05:44:42 AM
You mean you haven't been there? And you call yourself a Mahler fan!!!  :-* :)

I have been hoping to for a while - the problem is that I live in England - persuading my parents to take me to Vienna is rather difficult, considering my mum is not too keen on music, plus we would have to drag my sister who would moan the whole time and ruin the experience as she is one of those people who claims classical music is boring when she spends her time listening to the likes of Justin Bieber and so on.....
I was told though that they may take me there as a present after graduation. ;)

Quote from: karlhenning on December 19, 2011, 05:48:57 AM
What are you talking about?! Two months' uninterrupted composing? Luxury! : )
not often do us composers get it....
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mc ukrneal

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 19, 2011, 05:58:01 AM
I have been hoping to for a while - the problem is that I live in England - persuading my parents to take me to Vienna is rather difficult, considering my mum is not too keen on music, plus we would have to drag my sister who would moan the whole time and ruin the experience as she is one of those people who claims classical music is boring when she spends her time listening to the likes of Justin Bieber and so on.....
I was told though that they may take me there as a present after graduation. ;)
Oops. I was just ribbing you. It is not exactly free either. Does Bieber ever perform in Vienna? Two birds, one stone... :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

madaboutmahler

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 19, 2011, 06:02:33 AM
Oops. I was just ribbing you. It is not exactly free either.
Ah  :P
Does Bieber ever perform in Vienna? Two birds, one stone... :)

I hope he doesn't....
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

QuoteYou mean you haven't been there? And you call yourself a Mahler fan!!!

:)

You've already been in Italy, but I don't think you've already visited Dobbiaco (Toblach): there Mahler spent his summer holidays from 1908 to 1910 and composed the 9th symphony, the unfinished 10th symphony and Das Lied von Der Erde, and there are several places commemorating the great austrian composer.
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 19, 2011, 07:07:03 AM
:)

You've already been in Italy, but I don't think you've already visited Dobbiaco (Toblach): there Mahler spent his summer holidays from 1908 to 1910 and composed the 9th symphony, the unfinished 10th symphony and Das Lied von Der Erde, and there are several place commemorating the great austrian composer.

Thank you for telling me of this, Ilaria. I shall try and persuade my parents to take me there as well! ;) I have sent your card by the way, Ilaria. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 19, 2011, 07:11:18 AM
Thank you for telling me of this, Ilaria. I shall try and persuade my parents to take me there as well! ;) I have sent your card by the way, Ilaria. :)

Thank you so much Daniel, I will send mine tomorrow (when I came back from school today, the post office has still been closed :( ).
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 19, 2011, 07:16:43 AM
Thank you so much Daniel, I will send mine tomorrow (when I came back from school today, the post office has still been closed :( ).

Pleasure! :) Thank you! :) I hope our cards arrive in time!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

J.Z. Herrenberg

Oops. I was just ribbing you. It is not exactly free either. Does Bieber ever perform in Vienna? Two birds, one stone... :)

Bieber in Wien. Has a nice ring. Don't forget your camera for your Bieber shot.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

ibanezmonster

Does Bieber ever perform in Vienna? Two birds, one stone... :)
More like two stones, one dead lesbian...

eyeresist

All that way, just to look at a shed.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: eyeresist on December 19, 2011, 03:45:41 PM

I once drove 1250 miles just to look at poet Conrad Aiken's gravestone. Well, more than look: it's shaped like a bench. He wanted people to come and sit with him   8)  There are some pilgrimages one simply has to make.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

madaboutmahler

Quote from: eyeresist on December 19, 2011, 03:45:41 PM

I would be honoured and excited to just stand on the same ground as Mahler did.... to see the place where some of the world's greatest creations (his works) were written would be amazing.... 
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Opus106

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 20, 2011, 03:47:49 AM
I would be honoured and excited to just stand on the same ground as Mahler did....

Mahler visited London in 1892. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

madaboutmahler

— Ludwig van Beethoven

knight66

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 20, 2011, 03:47:49 AM
I would be honoured and excited to just stand on the same ground as Mahler did.... to see the place where some of the world's greatest creations (his works) were written would be amazing....

It is a reconstruction: Ken Russell firebombed it for the opening sequence of his 'Mahler' film.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.