Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahler10th

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 06, 2012, 01:00:40 PM
During your absence I recalled what you said about Inbal and the Fifth, and with, admittedly skeptical ears, I listened to it. Surprise! It's everything you say, one of the great M5s. It's been added to my list of favorites.
Sarge

Thank you Leo K and Sarge.  It is great when we all hear the same thing.   :D

not edward

Quote from: knight66 on January 06, 2012, 12:22:18 PM
I have never moved on from the Barbirolli 5th. In this instance it was an example of the first version I heard getting so into my blood stream that I have never truly moved on from it despite enjoying other versions. Exactly the same has happened with the 9th and Barbirolli, though I do think the live Karajan is marvellous.

Mike
I felt that about Barbirolli for a long time with both symphonies; while I still rate the Barbirolli highly, it wasn't till I found Chailly and the Leipzig Neumann (in the 5th) and Ancerl (in the 9th) that I found recordings that added something extra to my view of the works. (Well, maybe the Scherchen 5ths for sheer fury and a hugely distended Adagietto, but there's no way they're on the same planet as anything remotely canonical.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: knight66 on January 06, 2012, 12:22:18 PM
I have never moved on from the Barbirolli 5th. In this instance it was an example of the first version I heard getting so into my blood stream that I have never truly moved on from it despite enjoying other versions. Exactly the same has happened with the 9th and Barbirolli, though I do think the live Karajan is marvellous.

Mike

I can share the feeling about me and the Bernstein 5th (on DG); althought I also love other versions of that symphony (Karajan, Solti, Zinman, Chailly, Abbado), I couldn't move on from Bernstein's performance, IMHO it's certainly one of the best recordings of Mahler No.5 ever made, for the perfect tempo, the great intensity, the inner beauty and passion and the orchestral brilliance.

I totally agree about the Karajan 9th, what a sublime recording.
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

knight66

There are very few recordings of anything non vocal where my first recording ends as my highly personal definitive one, but I do respond to Barbirolli's way, with music, I like the warmth he engenders. With the Mahler 9' someone here suggested that I try the Ancerl. He is a conductor I like a great deal. But I found his version too unemotional. For some of course, that would be a selling point, but I could not see it as a valid way to approach the piece.

Other Mahler 9s that I recommend are the live Maderna. This sounds to my ears like the music is being pushed forward and being made to sound more like the world of Schoenberg. Maderna was a composer and it is always interesting to experience one composer's view of another.

I like the Klemperer, clear eyed and less overt than Barbirolli. It is dark and dramatic and a quality I value in Klemperer that I notice strongly in his 2nd is the feeling of inevitability about the interpretation, the architecture is so thoroughly thought through. With that 9th you also get an itinally delicate then dramatic rendering of the Wagner Siegfried Idyll. The sound on this oldish recording is very good.

Finally, one that Tony T got me on to and that I would otherwise have ignored, to my loss. James Judd with the Mahler Youth Orchestra. This is a surprising front runner and has excellent sound.
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: knight66 on January 08, 2012, 12:45:10 AM
Finally, one that Tony T got me on to and that I would otherwise have ignored, to my loss. James Judd with the Mahler Youth Orchestra. This is a surprising front runner and has excellent sound.

Sounds interesting.... shall go and search for it. Thank you Mike.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

not edward

Quote from: knight66 on January 08, 2012, 12:45:10 AM
Other Mahler 9s that I recommend are the live Maderna. This sounds to my ears like the music is being pushed forward and being made to sound more like the world of Schoenberg. Maderna was a composer and it is always interesting to experience one composer's view of another.

I like the Klemperer, clear eyed and less overt than Barbirolli. It is dark and dramatic and a quality I value in Klemperer that I notice strongly in his 2nd is the feeling of inevitability about the interpretation, the architecture is so thoroughly thought through. With that 9th you also get an itinally delicate then dramatic rendering of the Wagner Siegfried Idyll. The sound on this oldish recording is very good.
That Maderna version has been on my wishlist for years. I really should just go ahead and get it: composers' Mahler often seems interesting (Boulez, Gielen and Zender all being exceptional interpreters of Mahler's music, without even mentioning Bernstein)

Good to see a mention of Klemperer's 9th, which seems to have somewhat disappeared behind the wayside; I've been particularly impressed by the finale in his reading--for me it comes over as stoic rather than tragic, and very effective I find it too.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: edward on January 08, 2012, 07:45:13 AM
Good to see a mention of Klemperer's 9th, which seems to have somewhat disappeared behind the wayside; I've been particularly impressed by the finale in his reading--for me it comes over as stoic rather than tragic, and very effective I find it too.

The first and last mvts. are the Klemp/Philh. partnership at their best. I have trouble with the rather sluggish inner mvts., though.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

knight66

Quote from: edward on January 08, 2012, 07:45:13 AM
That Maderna version has been on my wishlist for years. I really should just go ahead and get it: composers' Mahler often seems interesting (Boulez, Gielen and Zender all being exceptional interpreters of Mahler's music, without even mentioning Bernstein)

Stoic is also the word I have used to describe the famous DLVDE recording with Wunderlich and Ludwig. He finds the balance between detachment and over emotionalism, if I have to choose one or other side of that line, I prefer too much to too little.

Mike

knight66

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 08, 2012, 06:53:50 AM
Sounds interesting.... shall go and search for it. Thank you Mike.

I hope you enjoy it, it ought to be available at bargain price. It is paired with the Mahler 10 Adagio.

Mike

madaboutmahler

Quote from: knight66 on January 08, 2012, 08:26:24 AM
I hope you enjoy it, it ought to be available at bargain price. It is paired with the Mahler 10 Adagio.

Mike

Thanks Mike! It seems to be rather rare though... only found a few Amazon MP sellers selling it for a rather high price... I'll keep on looking.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

knight66

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 08, 2012, 09:24:16 AM
Thanks Mike! It seems to be rather rare though... only found a few Amazon MP sellers selling it for a rather high price... I'll keep on looking.

It is here in good condition for just over £10. There are two discs in the set.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00004R8N2/ref=sr_1_cc_1_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1326047783&sr=1-1-catcorr&condition=used

Mike

madaboutmahler

Quote from: knight66 on January 08, 2012, 09:38:20 AM
It is here in good condition for just over £10. There are two discs in the set.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00004R8N2/ref=sr_1_cc_1_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1326047783&sr=1-1-catcorr&condition=used

Mike

Thanks for this Mike - shall add to the amazon wishlist and hopefully will purchase soon! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

brunumb

madaboutmahler

— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

My next Mahler cycle has arrived today! :)
Extremely excited to hear the rest of this cycle after Sinopoli's 8th became my favourite recording of the work a while ago.
Next cycle to get: MTT. :)
[asin]B003LQSHBO[/asin]
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Leo K.

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 11, 2012, 01:15:57 PM
My next Mahler cycle has arrived today! :)
Extremely excited to hear the rest of this cycle after Sinopoli's 8th became my favourite recording of the work a while ago.
Next cycle to get: MTT. :)
[asin]B003LQSHBO[/asin]

MTT's cycle has become my favorite cycle, with Bertini very near it. Its' the combination of sound, performance nuance, and overall beauty of the readings that bowl me over.

Enjoy the Sinopoli! I really love what he does with the M6, especially the slower tempo for the "Alma" theme in the 1st movement, that is a moment of absolute sublimity.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Leo K on January 12, 2012, 01:15:47 PM
MTT's cycle has become my favorite cycle, with Bertini very near it. Its' the combination of sound, performance nuance, and overall beauty of the readings that bowl me over.

Enjoy the Sinopoli! I really love what he does with the M6, especially the slower tempo for the "Alma" theme in the 1st movement, that is a moment of absolute sublimity.
It sounds great! There have been some criticisms of parts of it though, plus the price, which has put me off in the past. But after hearing some of no.2, I am more keen to get this cycle than ever before!
Thank you Leo! That sounds excellent - the Alma theme is possibly my favourite melody of all time, so I particularly look forward to hearing that. I am sure it will be a contrast to my current favourite M6 which is Solti. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

jlaurson

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 12, 2012, 01:19:32 PM
It sounds great! There have been some criticisms of parts of it though, plus the price, which has put me off in the past. But after hearing some of no.2, I am more keen to get this cycle than ever before!
Thank you Leo! That sounds excellent - the Alma theme is possibly my favourite melody of all time, so I particularly look forward to hearing that. I am sure it will be a contrast to my current favourite M6 which is Solti. :)

It's perhaps the cycle most the opposite of MTT... and very highly enjoyable. As has been pointed out: a tremendous 8th, a fabulous 9th (listen to the opening brass: it's like trees are being felled), powerful 6th et al.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: jlaurson on January 12, 2012, 02:44:49 PM
It's perhaps the cycle most the opposite of MTT... and very highly enjoyable. As has been pointed out: a tremendous 8th, a fabulous 9th (listen to the opening brass: it's like trees are being felled), powerful 6th et al.

Yes - the 8th is the only one I know from Sinopoli's cycle at this moment and I have to say that it is absolutely my favourite M8 that I have ever heard! :)
Thanks for the feedback, Jens.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 12, 2012, 09:41:44 AM
Please let me know what this is like, Sarge! I really want this cycle - and shall be asking for it for my birthday probably!

I need to listen again. I'm not sure I trust my initial judgment that, like most MTT Mahler I've heard, he tends to smooth things out, rendering the music too polite with insufficient emotional depth. That's perhaps less important in the Fourth, the lightest, most carefree of the symphonies, but still... It's an undeniably gorgeous, at times breathtaking performance, but it seldom moved me, least of all in the Finale. Part of the problem there is the soprano--not that she doesn't sing it well, she does--I just don't care for the sound of her voice. She certainly doesn't make me forget Donath (Inbal) or Battle (Maazel) or Schäfer (Haitink) or Raskin (Szell) or Bonney (Chailly) or Sunhae Im in the recent Honeck Fourth.

Damn...I think I'm being too harsh. With 32 versions in my collection maybe I'm jaded (ya think?  ;D ) It really is a very good performance (with spectacular sound; I particularly like his sleighbells). The fussy and constant stop and go phrasing that bothers me in his Second is not a problem here; everything seems natural, not mannered. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. And it does have one extraordinary feature which makes me glad I bought it, and to which I'll be returning often: the slowest (I believe) performance of the third movement (Ruhevoll). At almost 26 minutes, it's an example of the magic MTT and San Francisco can accomplish at an almost impossibly slow pace. I love it--even though I wish he had punched home the climax with a bit more power.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"