the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

eyeresist

Quote from: jlaurson on January 16, 2012, 03:23:29 AM
Why, composers have:

DSCH-4th. Berio. Rott (a prequel, actually)... others will think of more, ottotheads.

Bits of Schnittke
Liszt's Heroide Funebre

DavidW

If we're done counting cds/lps/wax cylinders who here also likes the live Klemperer Mahler 2nd? :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: DavidW on January 20, 2012, 04:48:59 AM
If we're done counting cds/lps/wax cylinders who here also likes the live Klemperer Mahler 2nd? :)

I almost ordered that the other day but the reviews were confusing--all over the map with no consensus: either its much better than the studio recording or its vastly inferior with sloppy execution compared to the studio or it doesn't matter which you own because the performances are so similiar.  ???

The only thing everyone seems to agree on is that Janet Baker is wonderful.

Sarge

DavidW

I think that it's slightly more emotional than the studio.  I wouldn't throw either one in the dust bin, but I do like it better than the studio.  And yes Janet Baker as always is stunning! :)

Those amazonians always have to go over the top with their reviews! >:D

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on January 20, 2012, 09:38:33 AM
Those amazonians always have to go over the top with their reviews! >:D

GO BUY THIS NOW! NOW!!!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Heard a little of Jansons' Mahler today and was very impressed... so wonderful whether to get these:
[asin]B00005UVXB[/asin]
[asin]B002UO73YU[/asin]
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

jlaurson

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 21, 2012, 01:54:02 PM
Heard a little of Jansons' Mahler today and was very impressed... so wonderful [wondering?] whether to get these:

Which of Jansons' Mahler did you hear that you found impressive/wonderful?

ibanezmonster

And no one is counting Das Klagende Lied?...  ::)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Greg on January 22, 2012, 04:45:08 AM
And no one is counting Das Klagende Lied?...  ::)

We did count it:

Quote from: jlaurson on January 16, 2012, 01:05:11 PM
Oh boy... "amateur" my rear! Looks like you got me. I know I'm missing a few records (with my collection split between continents and some collections not considered), but not many and probably not enough to meaningfully tilt the balance. :-)

DKL:  Rattle I, Chailly / DSO, Haitink / RCO, MTT

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 16, 2012, 01:30:45 PM
If my calculations are correct, you have 273 symphonies and I have 269. So you are slightly ahead of me.

But I can make up the difference if we add our DKLs. I have seven to your three...

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 17, 2012, 10:37:18 PM
That looks like this :

Das Klagende Lied         1

Sarge

madaboutmahler

Quote from: jlaurson on January 22, 2012, 04:25:31 AM
Which of Jansons' Mahler did you hear that you found impressive/wonderful?

Thanks for correcting me!
It was the funeral march from his recording of no.1 with the Oslo Philharmonic. To my delight, it was what our 'General Musicianship class' teacher at the Academy decided to spend the lesson studying. :D The performance sounded so great, I enjoyed it so much that I just had to ask the teacher who the performers were! Sounded excellently recorded as well!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

jlaurson

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 22, 2012, 05:07:27 AM
Thanks for correcting me!
It was the funeral march from his recording of no.1 with the Oslo Philharmonic. To my delight, it was what our 'General Musicianship class' teacher at the Academy decided to spend the lesson studying. :D The performance sounded so great, I enjoyed it so much that I just had to ask the teacher who the performers were! Sounded excellently recorded as well!

I must have every Jansons-Mahler recording there is, official and unofficial... but I've not yet heard the Simax recordings.
Perhaps early Jansons with an excited Oslo orchestra makes for good Mahler; I've found in every other instance, live or recorded, that Mahler and Jansons are not really an ideal match. Too much micromanaging going on... with impressive, perfectly bland results.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: jlaurson on January 22, 2012, 05:29:26 AM
I must have every Jansons-Mahler recording there is, official and unofficial... but I've not yet heard the Simax recordings.
Perhaps early Jansons with an excited Oslo orchestra makes for good Mahler; I've found in every other instance, live or recorded, that Mahler and Jansons are not really an ideal match. Too much micromanaging going on... with impressive, perfectly bland results.

Thank you for the feedback, Jens. What I heard certainly did not sound bland, it sounded so detailed, perfectly balanced, exciting etc. I have not heard any of Jansons' recent Mahler recordings with the RCO, but could completely understand your suggestion that earlier Jansons could be better.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

jlaurson

Quote from: jlaurson on January 22, 2012, 05:29:26 AM

I must retract the "every other instance" remark: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/05/ionarts-at-large-jansons-mahler-six.html

Lisztianwagner

About Jansons' Mahler No.1, I particularly like the 2nd movement Kräftig Bewegt,Doch Nicht Zu Schnell: incredibly enjoyable and passionate, very beautiful, perfect rythm, great brilliance.
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

ibanezmonster

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 22, 2012, 06:00:27 AM
About Jansons' Mahler No.1, I particularly like the 2nd movement Kräftig Bewegt,Doch Nicht Zu Schnell: incredibly enjoyable and passionate, very beautiful, perfect rythm, great brilliance.

Thank you for the feedback, Ilaria. I love that movement! :D
— Ludwig van Beethoven

kishnevi

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 22, 2012, 05:39:24 AM
Thank you for the feedback, Jens. What I heard certainly did not sound bland, it sounded so detailed, perfectly balanced, exciting etc. I have not heard any of Jansons' recent Mahler recordings with the RCO, but could completely understand your suggestion that earlier Jansons could be better.

I have the Jansons/RCO M1 and found it very unimpressive.   It's probably been about three years at least since I've played it, which should give you an idea of how little I like it.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image