Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2012, 08:00:37 AM
I can't say Chailly's 5th has impressed me all that much. People seem to think highly of this performance but I don't remember anything remarkable about it really. My favorite 5ths, right now, are Barshai and Abbado (live CSO performance).

Well, it's not my favourite version either, it's the Bernstein; but the Chailly is very beautiful and intense too though, incredibly powerful.
I have never listened to Barshai in Mahler, how is his 5th symphony?
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 17, 2012, 08:31:31 AM
Well, it's not my favourite version either, it's the Bernstein; but the Chailly is very beautiful and intense too though, incredibly powerful.
I have never listened to Barshai in Mahler, how is his 5th symphony?

I'm too fond of Bernstein's 5th performances either. I'm very particular in this symphony as it's one of my favorites and like I've mentioned in another post that I've probably heard more performances of the 5th than any other of Mahler's symphonies. The Barshai is excellent. He handles every movement with enthusiasm and a freshness that I don't always hear in other Mahler conductors. Another aspect of Barshai's performance that I find interesting is his choice of orchestra: the Junge Deutsche Philharmonie which is made up of top conservatory students. This orchestra sounds as good as any professional orchestra performing today. Incredible orchestra. Barshai also turned in a great performance of the 10th with his completed version of the symphony. He employs the same orchestra, the Junge Deutsche Philharmonie, as he did in the 5th and the results are no less satisfying. Both of these recordings can be bought very cheaply as they've been reissued on Brilliant Classics.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 16, 2012, 02:32:40 PM
I need to hear Sinopoli's then.

You must! :)

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 16, 2012, 02:42:31 PM
Another 3rd performance that I remember enjoying was Salonen's. Fantastic!

Have not heard that performance yet... instantly interested to!

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 16, 2012, 06:57:32 PM
I've been keeping a Mahler listening log in a journal and so far today I have listened to:

Symphony No. 7 - Simon Rattle, CBSO, EMI
Symphony No. 3 - Bernard Haitink, RCO, Philips
Symphony No. 6 - Georg Solti, CSO, Decca
Symphony No. 4 - Claudio Abbado, Vienna Philharmonic, DG
Symphony No. 9 - Gary Bertini, Cologne Radio Symphony, EMI

Tomorrow I might take a little break and resume back on Friday.

Great, John! Looking forward to seeing more from this journal!

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 16, 2012, 07:53:48 PM
I've really always admired Mahler's music. I just like to give our friend, Daniel (madaboutmahler), a hard time about him. :D I went through a huge Mahler phase a couple of years ago. I think he deserves all the compliments and recordings he can get! His music is of another world, but there's something so earthbound about this music that I feel a strong connection to it. It seems to me that a lot of his music is about human suffering and I relate to this because I've been an outcast my entire life and it certainly wasn't by choice, but now it certainly is and I'm loving every minute of it. :D But seriously, I relate to Mahler's music for it's poetic expression and it's heartfelt honesty. Every note that came from him was important and crucial. There's nothing misplaced in a Mahler symphony IMHO.

Anyway, I'm not too concerned with what's the best of this or that, because we'll all have our favorites. I've never met two Mahler fans that could agree on anything anyway, so there you have it. 8)

haha - thanks, John! ;) Very glad to hear this! :)

Quote from: eyeresist on May 16, 2012, 08:17:30 PM
Yes, I think Mahler came closer than anyone to including the whole world in his symphonies, as he said he wanted to do. There's something for everyone there, if they're prepared to listen.

Excellent statement! :)

So glad that you are enjoying all the Mahler, John, and I am very excited to continue hearing about your Mahler journey! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2012, 08:40:18 AM
I'm too fond of Bernstein's 5th performances either. I'm very particular in this symphony as it's one of my favorites and like I've mentioned in another post that I've probably heard more performances of the 5th than any other of Mahler's symphonies. The Barshai is excellent. He handles every movement with enthusiasm and a freshness that I don't always hear in other Mahler conductors. Another aspect of Barshai's performance that I find interesting is his choice of orchestra: the Junge Deutsche Philharmonie which is made up of top conservatory students. This orchestra sounds as good as any professional orchestra performing today. Incredible orchestra. Barshai also turned in a great performance of the 10th with his completed version of the symphony. He employs the same orchestra, the Junge Deutsche Philharmonie, as he did in the 5th and the results are no less satisfying. Both of these recordings can be bought very cheaply as they've been reissued on Brilliant Classics.

I extremely love it too, such haunting and passionate music; its powerful finale always makes me hold my breath. The 5th was the first symphony I've ever listened to (Karajan/BPO) and it was my absolute favourite for a long time before I improved my knowledge of Mahler's music.
Great, that's quite impressive that Barshai has obtained a so excellent result with a non-professional orchestra, I would be really interested in hearing his performance; thank you for the feedback, John. :)
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Lisztianwagner

Seeing pictures of Mahler with the moustache is rather strange....... ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 17, 2012, 10:05:08 AM
Great, that's quite impressive that Barshai has obtained a so excellent result with a non-professional orchestra, I would be really interested in hearing his performance; thank you for the feedback, John. :)

My pleasure, Ilaria.

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 17, 2012, 09:57:37 AM
You must! :)

Have not heard that performance yet... instantly interested to!

Great, John! Looking forward to seeing more from this journal!

haha - thanks, John! ;) Very glad to hear this! :)

So glad that you are enjoying all the Mahler, John, and I am very excited to continue hearing about your Mahler journey! :)

And thank you, Daniel, for you enthusiasm for Mahler's music. I owe you much thanks for getting me to listen to Mahler again. I've been pretty busy today (I washed my truck, did some chores around the house), but I was able to finish Mahler's 2nd with Tennstedt and this is a good performance, but my favorite 2nd comes from Bernstein and the NYPO on Sony. I also think very highly of Rattle's with the CBSO.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 16, 2012, 02:12:36 PM
Just for clarification, here's what I put on my iPod:

Hatink set
Kubelik set
Boulez recordings
Rattle set

Bertini set
Chailly set
Tennstedt set

Abbado set
Solti set

Sets I didn't put on (yet): Inbal (Brilliant Classics), Gielen (Hanssler), Bernstein (Sony, DG), Zinman (RCA), Levine (partial set), Maazel (Sony), Neumann (Supraphon), Svetlanov (Warner), Sinopoli (DG)

My Dad also owns a ton of individual recordings, which most of them he hasn't ripped to iTunes yet, so there's a lot there to choose from as well. :)

The current conjunction of avatars makes conversations between John and Daniel not a little like a Monty Python skit or a theater of the absurd, with visions of Mahler talking with himself across the years.

Back to actual topic:
In John's original post,  I bolded the sets which I own as complete sets or complete series (as Zinman), italicized the ones from which I own at least a couple but not the complete series (with Rattle and Boulez being the most complete), and struck through the ones from which I have not a single recording.  Haitink doesn't fall into any of these categories, because I have only one recording (the Fourth) from his Philips set, but have the recordings of 1-3 he did on the CSO Resound label and the 4 he did on the RCO Live label.

Of the complete sets you listed, my favorites at the moment would be Chailly and Inbal, considered as all around cycles--meaning that while any of the individual recordings might be bettered by other individual recordings of the same work from the other cycles,  the quality across the series is high enough to make them good choices as a set. Bernstein on DG is a favorite but not as much as these first two.  Bertini and Tennstedt I'm not sure about yet--complicated in Tennstedt's case by the fact that I have the set which includes both the studio cycle and the live performances of 5-7--the cycle plus, so to speak.   A cycle I like as much as the Chailly and Inbal, but you didn't list there, is the MTT you just got for your father,   and then there's Gergiev, which is a very mixed bag (like Zinman's, in fact, but in different ways).

And I join my voice to those that like Barshai's recordings.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2012, 10:32:53 AM
And thank you, Daniel, for you enthusiasm for Mahler's music. I owe you much thanks for getting me to listen to Mahler again. I've been pretty busy today (I washed my truck, did some chores around the house), but I was able to finish Mahler's 2nd with Tennstedt and this is a good performance, but my favorite 2nd comes from Bernstein and the NYPO on Sony. I also think very highly of Rattle's with the CBSO.

Oh, it's a pleasure, John! It really is so incredibly pleasing to see your rise in enthusiasm for Mahler! I hope you continue to enjoy his music, by the sounds of it, you will! Well, your 5 Mahler symphonies in a day yesterday, was highly impressive, and makes me rather jealous! ;) Glad to hear you enjoyed the Tennstedt performance of no.2. The Bernstein performance you mention is excellent, the Rattle too.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Solti 6 too, John! Have you any favourite recordings of this symphony? As I have probably mentioned, Solti's is mine overall. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 17, 2012, 10:51:59 AM
The current conjunction of avatars makes conversations between John and Daniel not a little like a Monty Python skit or a theater of the absurd, with visions of Mahler talking with himself across the years.

Back to actual topic:
In John's original post,  I bolded the sets which I own as complete sets or complete series (as Zinman), italicized the ones from which I own at least a couple but not the complete series (with Rattle and Boulez being the most complete), and struck through the ones from which I have not a single recording.  Haitink doesn't fall into any of these categories, because I have only one recording (the Fourth) from his Philips set, but have the recordings of 1-3 he did on the CSO Resound label and the 4 he did on the RCO Live label.

Of the complete sets you listed, my favorites at the moment would be Chailly and Inbal, considered as all around cycles--meaning that while any of the individual recordings might be bettered by other individual recordings of the same work from the other cycles,  the quality across the series is high enough to make them good choices as a set. Bernstein on DG is a favorite but not as much as these first two.  Bertini and Tennstedt I'm not sure about yet--complicated in Tennstedt's case by the fact that I have the set which includes both the studio cycle and the live performances of 5-7--the cycle plus, so to speak.   A cycle I like as much as the Chailly and Inbal, but you didn't list there, is the MTT you just got for your father,   and then there's Gergiev, which is a very mixed bag (like Zinman's, in fact, but in different ways).

And I join my voice to those that like Barshai's recordings.

Well, as we all know, every cycle will have weak and strong points. Chailly's cycle is good, I haven't listened to any of Inbal's performances in quite some time. Bertini, like Chailly, is probably one of the more consistent cycles I've heard. Everything is extremely well played. Ilaria comments that Chailly's 6th has slow tempi, but if I recall correctly so did Boulez's 6th, which I'm keen on listening to very soon. Yes, I haven't heard a note of the MTT cycle. I'm actually still waiting for it to be delivered. I don't recall thinking much of Zinman's cycle, but do think the audio quality was noteworthy. I really enjoyed Haitink's 3rd with the RCO on Philips. A great performance. I'll be interested to hear how he fares in the rest of the symphonies.

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 17, 2012, 11:27:52 AM
Oh, it's a pleasure, John! It really is so incredibly pleasing to see your rise in enthusiasm for Mahler! I hope you continue to enjoy his music, by the sounds of it, you will! Well, your 5 Mahler symphonies in a day yesterday, was highly impressive, and makes me rather jealous! ;) Glad to hear you enjoyed the Tennstedt performance of no.2. The Bernstein performance you mention is excellent, the Rattle too.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Solti 6 too, John! Have you any favourite recordings of this symphony? As I have probably mentioned, Solti's is mine overall. :)

Thank you, Daniel. 8)

Yes, the Solti 6th was excellent. You were spot on with your description of this performance. Favorite 6th performances? I like Bernstein (DG), Abbado (BPO live DG) and Tennstedt but I'm really still getting my feet wet in regards to this symphony. I've never listened to it as much as you or many have, but I'm going to hopefully change this soon.

kishnevi

Chailly's 6th is about the same length,  as Haitink's with the CSO on CSO Resound--for both the final movement lasts right around 30 minutes.  Don't have the Boulez recording to compare.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2012, 11:39:24 AM
Thank you, Daniel. 8)

Yes, the Solti 6th was excellent. You were spot on with your description of this performance. Favorite 6th performances? I like Bernstein (DG), Abbado (BPO live DG) and Tennstedt but I'm really still getting my feet wet in regards to this symphony. I've never listened to it as much as you or many have, but I'm going to hopefully change this soon.

:)

Thanks, John! Oh, Bernstein DG is absolutely amazing! Particularly the finale, which is surely the most outstanding M6 finale on record! I am very excited to hear the Tennstedt cycle... I have heard nothing but good things about it. Glad to hear it, John! If pushed, I would have to say that no.6 is my favourite Mahler symphony. along with the 9th ;)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 17, 2012, 11:52:53 AMThanks, John! Oh, Bernstein DG is absolutely amazing! Particularly the finale, which is surely the most outstanding M6 finale on record! I am very excited to hear the Tennstedt cycle... I have heard nothing but good things about it. Glad to hear it, John! If pushed, I would have to say that no.6 is my favourite Mahler symphony...along with the 9th. ;)

No need to be quiet about the 9th, Daniel. It is one of the most engrossing, deeply felt symphonies I've ever heard. I've said this many years ago though. I've always loved the 9th. I can understand how some can't listen to it very often because of it's almost overwhelming sense of despair, but this is the kind of music that I've always gravitated towards. I mean after all Pettersson's 7th remains a favorite of mine. ;)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 17, 2012, 11:52:53 AM
Particularly the finale, which is surely the most outstanding M6 finale on record! I am very excited to hear the Tennstedt cycle... I have heard nothing but good things about it.
Funny to read this... I'll be interested in what you think of Tennstedt's 6th. Let's just say that Tennstedt is the only guy I need to go to for the 6th symphony now; the last movement I was actually quite unsure of what to think, even after hearing many different versions. Then I listened to Tennstedt and was blown away, feeling like I finally completely understood the music. I don't think this is a very common opinion, but he performs that last movement unlike anyone else, and still is the only satisfactory version for me.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2012, 11:59:36 AM
No need to be quiet about the 9th, Daniel. It is one of the most engrossing, deeply felt symphonies I've ever heard. I've said this many years ago though. I've always loved the 9th. I can understand how some can't listen to it very often because of it's almost overwhelming sense of despair, but this is the kind of music that I've always gravitated towards. I mean after all Pettersson's 7th remains a favorite of mine. ;)

Don't worry, John, I just meant that I can't really decide which I love more, the 6th or the 9th. :) I absolutely agree, to me, it is some of the most incredibly powerful, beautiful, heavenly music ever written. The finale moves me to tears, real tears, every single time. I always say of the finale that in it, Mahler writes himself to heaven, and for the duration of the piece, takes us with him.  0:)
I cannot listen to the 9th too often, I don't want to lose those feelings of how special it is to me. A very spiritual, beautiful experience for me when I do listen to it though. For the 9th, I tend to turn to Karajan's second recording, or the Rattle BPO for a more modern reading. Both outstanding. :)

Quote from: Greg on May 17, 2012, 12:00:29 PM
Funny to read this... I'll be interested in what you think of Tennstedt's 6th. Let's just say that Tennstedt is the only guy I need to go to for the 6th symphony now; the last movement I was actually quite unsure of what to think, even after hearing many different versions. Then I listened to Tennstedt and was blown away, feeling like I finally completely understood the music. I don't think this is a very common opinion, but he performs that last movement unlike anyone else, and still is the only satisfactory version for me.

Thanks for your feedback on the Tennstedt, Greg, very interesting thoughts. I am very excited to hear it! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 17, 2012, 12:25:24 PM
Don't worry, John, I just meant that I can't really decide which I love more, the 6th or the 9th. :) I absolutely agree, to me, it is some of the most incredibly powerful, beautiful, heavenly music ever written. The finale moves me to tears, real tears, every single time. I always say of the finale that in it, Mahler writes himself to heaven, and for the duration of the piece, takes us with him.  0:)
I cannot listen to the 9th too often, I don't want to lose those feelings of how special it is to me. A very spiritual, beautiful experience for me when I do listen to it though. For the 9th, I tend to turn to Karajan's second recording, or the Rattle BPO for a more modern reading. Both outstanding. :)

I remember the first time I heard Pettersson's 7th (the Segerstam BIS recording), I actually had tears in my eyes, especially when those moments of light penetrate the darkness. I don't cry to music very often, but this symphony was especially moving for me. Also, the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th. That has had quite an effect on me and I'm sure many others have been moved by it. The slow movement to Casella's Sinfonia "Symphony No. 3" is also something that continues to haunt me.

Mirror Image

Mahler listening log: Day 2:
------------------------------------

-Symphony No. 2, Klaus Tennstedt, London Philharmonic, EMI
-Symphony No. 5, Rafael Kubelik, Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, DG
-Symphony No. 9, Simon Rattle, Berlin Philharmonic, EMI
-Symphony No. 7, Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony Orch., Decca

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't heard Solti's 7th performance yet, but it will be my Mahler listening for the day. Highlights for me today (so far) have been Kubelik's 5th and Rattle's 9th.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2012, 01:08:32 PM
I remember the first time I heard Pettersson's 7th (the Segerstam BIS recording), I actually had tears in my eyes, especially when those moments of light penetrate the darkness. I don't cry to music very often, but this symphony was especially moving for me. Also, the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th. That has had quite an effect on me and I'm sure many others have been moved by it. The slow movement to Casella's Sinfonia "Symphony No. 3" is also something that continues to haunt me.

I would be interested to hear that Pettersson symphony....
There are a few specific pieces that make me cry, quite a lot of Mahler, R.Strauss, Elgar. The ending of the Ring Cycle did, 'Juliet's Death' from Prokofiev's R+J always does, the climax of the Daybreak from Ravel D+C too. A few others also. Those are the ones that instantly come into mind.
Oh, the Adagietto from M5 certainly is beautiful. Such incredibly romantic, moving music!
We could start a whole new thread on pieces that have this kind of affect on us! :)

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2012, 01:19:30 PM
Mahler listening log: Day 2:
------------------------------------

-Symphony No. 2, Klaus Tennstedt, London Philharmonic, EMI
-Symphony No. 5, Rafael Kubelik, Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, DG
-Symphony No. 9, Simon Rattle, Berlin Philharmonic, EMI
-Symphony No. 7, Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony Orch., Decca

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't heard Solti's 7th performance yet, but it will be my Mahler listening for the day. Highlights for me today (so far) have been Kubelik's 5th and Rattle's 9th.

Great, John! Rattle's BPO M9 is truly outstanding. My favourite M9 along with Karajan II. Hope you enjoy Solti's M7, it's excellent! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 17, 2012, 01:34:52 PM
I would be interested to hear that Pettersson symphony....
There are a few specific pieces that make me cry, quite a lot of Mahler, R.Strauss, Elgar. The ending of the Ring Cycle did, 'Juliet's Death' from Prokofiev's R+J always does, the climax of the Daybreak from Ravel D+C too. A few others also. Those are the ones that instantly come into mind.
Oh, the Adagietto from M5 certainly is beautiful. Such incredibly romantic, moving music!
We could start a whole new thread on pieces that have this kind of affect on us! :)

Great, John! Rattle's BPO M9 is truly outstanding. My favourite M9 along with Karajan II. Hope you enjoy Solti's M7, it's excellent! :)

Wow, you must go through a box of tissues in a few days. ;) :D After Rattle's 9th finishes, Solti's 7th is up next. Can't wait to hear it.