Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

An important theme of the last movement of the Ninth occurs already in the "trio"-like contrasting section of the "Rondo Burleske"
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Maestro267

Quote from: Jo498 on August 22, 2015, 11:22:37 AM
An important theme of the last movement of the Ninth occurs already in the "trio"-like contrasting section of the "Rondo Burleske"

Is it? I haven't spotted that myself. Unless it's really obvious (like in the same key or at least the same rhythm), I struggle to spot recurrences of themes. For instance, it took me years to work out exactly which theme the idée fixe in Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique was.

Jo498

I think it is fairly obvious (more so than anything in the 7th or 3rd I could think of, but I do not know these pieces so well). The passage in the Rondo-Burleske sticks out very strongly because it is the first/main lyrical episode in that hectic and angry piece. The correspondence is the second main theme of the last movement. Both are characterized by a "turn".
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Maestro267

Quote from: Jo498 on August 23, 2015, 11:31:01 PM
I think it is fairly obvious (more so than anything in the 7th or 3rd I could think of, but I do not know these pieces so well). The passage in the Rondo-Burleske sticks out very strongly because it is the first/main lyrical episode in that hectic and angry piece. The correspondence is the second main theme of the last movement. Both are characterized by a "turn".

I just had a quick listen to that section in the Rondo-Burleske and I can hear it now. The theme that appears as a counterpoint in fortissimo horns at the recapitulation of the finale's first theme.

vandermolen

Went to a concert featuring Symphony 3 in London tonight (BBC SO, Oramo). What an extraordinary work. I have never heard it in concert before and for some reason am largely unfamiliar with it  :o. I very much enjoyed it and you can see how this influenced Shostakovich for example. The symphony is a bit mad but my attention was gripped throughout. Is Horenstein the best CD version? The only one I have is Boult conducting the BBC SO with Kathleen Ferrier (1947).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jay F

Quote from: vandermolen on September 24, 2015, 03:33:04 PM
Went to a concert featuring Symphony 3 in London tonight (BBC SO, Oramo). What an extraordinary work. I have never heard it in concert before and for some reason am largely unfamiliar with it  :o. I very much enjoyed it and you can see how this influenced Shostakovich for example. The symphony is a bit mad but my attention was gripped throughout. Is Horenstein the best CD version? The only one I have is Boult conducting the BBC SO with Kathleen Ferrier (1947).

I only had his version on LP, and the sound was awful. I never bought it on CD.

My favorites are Bernstein's first version, Michael Tilson-Thomas', and Esa-Pekka Salonen's M3. But it's one of those pieces that works no matter who does it. Some also like Solti, but I had the bad fortune of having a visually perfect, sonically horrendous version of the LP, and I could never listen to it again. It got me to stop buying classical records, actually.

Hope this helps.

vandermolen

Quote from: Jay F on September 24, 2015, 03:52:17 PM
I only had his version on LP, and the sound was awful. I never bought it on CD.

My favorites are Bernstein's first version, Michael Tilson-Thomas', and Esa-Pekka Salonen's M3. But it's one of those pieces that works no matter who does it. Some also like Solti, but I had the bad fortune of having a visually perfect, sonically horrendous version of the LP, and I could never listen to it again. It got me to stop buying classical records, actually.

Hope this helps.
That is really helpful - thank you. I have ordered the Bernstein Sony boxed set of the complete Mahler symphonies for £14 on Amazon which is incredibly inexpensive. At the moment I'm enjoying Boult's 1947 performance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Wieland

Quote from: vandermolen on September 24, 2015, 04:05:15 PM
That is really helpful - thank you. I have ordered the Bernstein Sony boxed set of the complete Mahler symphonies for £14 on Amazon which is incredibly inexpensive. At the moment I'm enjoying Boult's 1947 performance.
That's a good choice, with Lennys first cycle (on vinyl) I became familiar with Mahler. That actually was my starting point of becoming seriously involved with classical music. I had the great fortune to have been in the audience of Avery Fisher Hall when Lenny conducted Mahler 2 and 3 for the DGG cycle. Two of my most thrilling concert experiences.
The above mentioned Esa-Pekka Salonen is also one of my favourites. Of MTT I know only the LSO recording which I did not find that special, probably his SFSO remake is preferable at least from what I have of that cycle. I still have a soft spot for the Horenstein and also for the 1960 Mitropoulos in Cologne, but that is in mono.

André

The Third is the first Mahler symphony I heard in concert (Mehta, with Maureen Forrester). For my money the Horenstein is still the yardstick by which to judge others. But I also adore the old Haitink Concertgebouw (Forrester again). I have lstened to many, many performances and most don't match the frisson and elation I got from the studio Horenstein and Haitink performances.

The Third is often thought of as a complicated, garrulous, posturing, picturesque and overlong work. That is not true. Inasmuch as one is able to go through the 2nd and 5th symphonies and find one whistling as a bell while shaving the morning after, I don't see why the third should prove hard to digest. Actually I find Beethoven's Pastoral harder  to chew than this Mahler symphony, filled as it is with candy floss, guimauve and assorted bonbons.

The Horenstein versions boasts the impressive LSO horn section, the Haitink boasts the whole orchestra's impressive roaster and, going farther down the Wizard of Oz golden road, I find Bernstein's NYPO a superb alternative.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: André on September 28, 2015, 12:11:05 PM
The Third is the first Mahler symphony I heard in concert (Mehta, with Maureen Forrester). For my money the Horenstein is still the yardstick by which to judge others. But I also adore the old Haitink Concertgebouw (Forrester again).

Horenstein and Haitink are my top picks also (I've known the Horenstein since 1972). I'm also fond of Levine's M3 in which he brings out the dark undercurrents in the bimm bamm movement.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: André on September 28, 2015, 12:11:05 PM
The Third is the first Mahler symphony I heard in concert (Mehta, with Maureen Forrester). For my money the Horenstein is still the yardstick by which to judge others. But I also adore the old Haitink Concertgebouw (Forrester again). I have lstened to many, many performances and most don't match the frisson and elation I got from the studio Horenstein and Haitink performances.

The Third is often thought of as a complicated, garrulous, posturing, picturesque and overlong work. That is not true. Inasmuch as one is able to go through the 2nd and 5th symphonies and find one whistling as a bell while shaving the morning after, I don't see why the third should prove hard to digest. Actually I find Beethoven's Pastoral harder  to chew than this Mahler symphony, filled as it is with candy floss, guimauve and assorted bonbons.

The Horenstein versions boasts the impressive LSO horn section, the Haitink boasts the whole orchestra's impressive roaster and, going farther down the Wizard of Oz golden road, I find Bernstein's NYPO a superb alternative.
Thank you.  :)
The Horenstein Unicorn version is rather expensive so I gave ordered a Horenstein live recording which was well reviewed. I agree with your comments about Symphony 6 and it was wonderful to hear it live. Didn't Alma Mahler complain that he had written the whole thing for the drum? What struck me was the influence it must have had on Shostakovich.

Cato

" For those seven that survived."

Many thanks for the review, Jens!  Can you explain the last sentence of the review?  Is it a glitch of some sort?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

jlaurson

Quote from: Cato on November 09, 2015, 06:45:17 AM
" For those seven that survived."

Many thanks for the review, Jens!  Can you explain the last sentence of the review?  Is it a glitch of some sort?

Did you read the whole of it? It refers to the BANG-BANG game they played on tour.

Mandryka

I've been listening to Michael Finnissy's string trio, an old recording by The Gagliano Trio which someone sent me last week.

Anyway, according to Gramophone's review of the recording, the music is inspired by Mahler 9 in several ways. The review mentions Mahler's use of "melodic archetypes" in the symphony - "small melodic units which embrace a wide range of emotional states." Apparently Finnissy does the same.

I'd like to find out more about these melodic archetypes, not least because it reminds me of some concepts in early music. Has anyone explored the idea?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Wanderer

Jay F

knight66

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

ritter

Slipped Disc reports the sad news of Gilbert Kaplan's passing (http://slippedisc.com/2016/01/sad-news-gilbert-kaplan-has-died/). Kaplan devoted most of his life to Mahler, and the Second symphony in particular. RIP.