Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 03:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Scarpia

One that I have which I can't really comment on since I haven't had time to listen to any substantial part of it is Oppitz.

[asin]B0009A1ALO[/asin]

Just mentioning that it exists.

You didn't ask me, but I would say the most satisfying sets of Schumann Symphonies I have listened to are Bernstein, Wiener Philharmoniker (surprisingly straight and energetic) and Harnoncourt (idiosyncratic, and gorgeous, in my view).

[asin]B000001GY9[/asin]
[asin]B000009KT6[/asin]
[asin]B000000SQW[/asin]

amw

You didn't ask me either but my favourite Schumann set is from Heinz Holliger and the WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln.
https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00ELVVC6U + https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works/dp/B00KIA1DXA + https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00MQ8Y4FQ/

As for Brahms piano music, it's not complete and not boxed up in a set, but Hardy Rittner is doing an integral on MDG that is very high quality. Do not know the Oppitz & Barenboim integrals. There is yet another integral from Andreas Boyde, which is also pretty good, on a similar level to Couteau.

Kovacevich, Ax and Angelich have recorded most of Brahms's piano music but I don't know if they did all of it or if it's available anywhere.

NikF

Quote from: amw on April 13, 2018, 08:11:06 PM
You didn't ask me either but my favourite Schumann set is from Heinz Holliger and the WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln.
https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00ELVVC6U + https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works/dp/B00KIA1DXA + https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00MQ8Y4FQ/

As for Brahms piano music, it's not complete and not boxed up in a set, but Hardy Rittner is doing an integral on MDG that is very high quality. Do not know the Oppitz & Barenboim integrals. There is yet another integral from Andreas Boyde, which is also pretty good, on a similar level to Couteau.

Kovacevich, Ax and Angelich have recorded most of Brahms's piano music but I don't know if they did all of it or if it's available anywhere.
Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 13, 2018, 01:35:10 PM
One that I have which I can't really comment on since I haven't had time to listen to any substantial part of it is Oppitz.

[asin]B0009A1ALO[/asin]

Just mentioning that it exists.

You didn't ask me, but I would say the most satisfying sets of Schumann Symphonies I have listened to are Bernstein, Wiener Philharmoniker (surprisingly straight and energetic) and Harnoncourt (idiosyncratic, and gorgeous, in my view).

[asin]B000001GY9[/asin]
[asin]B000009KT6[/asin]
[asin]B000000SQW[/asin]

Thank you both.  :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mandryka

Quote from: NikF on April 13, 2018, 12:12:35 PM
I only have the 'Works for Solo Piano' box featuring Katchen. I'd like another box to contrast that one. Any suggestions?

Andreas Boyde, it's very lovingly played and he has a modern piano sound that I can tolerate. Though be aware that I only listen to the late music and big sets of variations really - I don't know anything about sonatas, ballades . . .
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

amw

If you want the real nerd bullshit:

Sonata No.1 Op.1 - François-Frédéric Guy
Sonata No.2 Op.2 - Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
Schumann Variations Op.9 - Sheila Arnold
Ballades Op.10 - Nicholas Angelich, Valery Afanassiev (if you're insane)
Handel Variations Op.24 - Jorge Bolet, Claudio Arrau (Ermitage), Benno Moiseiwitsch
Paganini Variations Op.35 - Yuja Wang
7 Fantasien Op.116 - Evgenia Rubinova
3 Intermezzi Op.117 - Andreas Boyde, Arcadi Volodos
6 Klavierstücke Op.118 - Julius Katchen, Arcadi Volodos, Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
4 Klavierstücke Op.119 - Rudolf Firkušny (BBC Legends), Maurizio Pollini

Add/subtract your own favourites/unfavourites or key works

Jo498

Of the "incomplete" Brahms piano recordings, I'd recommend Rubinstein for the 3rd sonata, Rhapsodies op.79 and about half or so of opp. 116-119. He also did the Ballades op.10 but it's been too long that I listened to them.

The first two sonatas are rather uneven pieces; there is a very enthusiastic live Richter (who did not play the 3rd!) recording on Decca.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on April 14, 2018, 10:39:40 PM
If you want the real nerd bullshit:

Sonata No.1 Op.1 - François-Frédéric Guy
Sonata No.2 Op.2 - Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
Schumann Variations Op.9 - Sheila Arnold
Ballades Op.10 - Nicholas Angelich, Valery Afanassiev (if you're insane)
Handel Variations Op.24 - Jorge Bolet, Claudio Arrau (Ermitage), Benno Moiseiwitsch
Paganini Variations Op.35 - Yuja Wang
7 Fantasien Op.116 - Evgenia Rubinova
3 Intermezzi Op.117 - Andreas Boyde, Arcadi Volodos
6 Klavierstücke Op.118 - Julius Katchen, Arcadi Volodos, Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
4 Klavierstücke Op.119 - Rudolf Firkušny (BBC Legends), Maurizio Pollini

Add/subtract your own favourites/unfavourites or key works

yes I think there are some interesting ideas here, Rubinova and Volodos.

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on April 14, 2018, 11:22:29 PM
Of the "incomplete" Brahms piano recordings, I'd recommend Rubinstein for the 3rd sonata, Rhapsodies op.79 and about half or so of opp. 116-119. He also did the Ballades op.10 but it's been too long that I listened to them.

The first two sonatas are rather uneven pieces; there is a very enthusiastic live Richter (who did not play the 3rd!) recording on Decca.

Yes distinctive and noble in the 116-119 -- there's a recording on Vol 10 of the Rubinstein Collection which I like.

NikF

I just noticed all these replies and suggestions. Thank you, everyone.

Other Brahms stuff - it's a fair time away, but I've reached the end of the SSO brochure for the coming season and the final concert is Elisabeth Leonskaja playing the Brahms D minor PC. I know her name but have never heard her play anything. I see there's at least one recorded performance of it by her, so I could order the CD and have a listen. Ah, that's me just being a skinflint as usual - I should just buy tickets right now.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Parenthetically . . . possibly the last time I heard Brahms at Symphony Hall, was on the concert when Peter Serkin premièred Wuorinen's Fourth Concerto.  I ran into Charles during the intermission, to congratulate him, and I enjoyed a very pleasant chat with him.  The time nearly got away from us, and the lights dimmed to alert us that the second half was about to begin, and Charles playfully observed, "Now, to give the people the Brahms they came for."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

SymphonicAddict

Happy birthday for one of the greatest composers ever!

Now playing the Violin concerto (Ferras, Karajan, BPO). Possibly my favorite performance.

Biffo

After my posting in the Sibelius 4 thread, something more positive.

Mention of Bernstein prompted me to check on his NYPO Brahms cycle. Remastered versions Nos 2, 3 & 4 from Sony Japan are now available from Amazon UK marketplace sellers at a sensible price. Now on order. Remastered release of No 1 has been available for a while and I was prepared to pay a premium price as it is something special.

PerfectWagnerite

Just want to say: Happy birthday Johannes !

vers la flamme

Bump for a great composer.

Just writing to signify that I've joined the club; after years of being totally mystified and totally bored by his music (outside of the great late piano pieces, which I have long loved)... I'm a "Brahms guy" now. It was Otto Klemperer's cycle of the symphonies with the Philharmonia, along with a few great recordings from Wilhelm Furtwängler, which finally opened my eyes to the music of this famous composer.

Anyway, I can't get enough of it now. My favorites are symphonies 1 and 3, the Piano Quintet in F minor, the aforementioned piano pieces. His chamber music is still largely uncharted territory for me, but I'm entranced by the symphonies at present and will get to the chamber music when I get to it.

Has anyone else been listening to any Brahms lately? I'm excited to have "discovered" this great composer.

Que

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 25, 2019, 05:17:40 AM
Bump for a great composer.

Just writing to signify that I've joined the club; after years of being totally mystified and totally bored by his music (outside of the great late piano pieces, which I have long loved)... I'm a "Brahms guy" now. It was Otto Klemperer's cycle of the symphonies with the Philharmonia, along with a few great recordings from Wilhelm Furtwängler, which finally opened my eyes to the music of this famous composer.

Anyway, I can't get enough of it now. My favorites are symphonies 1 and 3, the Piano Quintet in F minor, the aforementioned piano pieces. His chamber music is still largely uncharted territory for me, but I'm entranced by the symphonies at present and will get to the chamber music when I get to it.

Has anyone else been listening to any Brahms lately? I'm excited to have "discovered" this great composer.

His chamber music, do explore that. It doesn't get more echt Brahms than that....
And, if you're to that kind of thing, his Lieder and choral music - Brahms was very knowledgeable on the great examples from the Renaissance & Baroque.

Q

North Star

Yes indeed, do get to the rest of the chamber music as soon as possible.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vers la flamme

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good, cheap box set which includes a big chunk of his chamber music? That might be helpful  ;D

Jo498

There was a Brilliant chamber music box that supposedly was pretty good. Not sure if it is still easily available (I can vouch for the trios and the clarinet pieces in that box) There is also one on Hyperion, probably not quite as cheap.

[asin]B000063W9Y[/asin]

This one with Rubinstein is cheap and very good but you get only about half of the chamber music; no strings only, no horn trio and no clarinet works
[asin]B0042U2HN2[/asin]

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 25, 2019, 12:12:32 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good, cheap box set which includes a big chunk of his chamber music? That might be helpful  ;D

Hyperion boxed them all together and there are lots of good performances in there.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!