Author Topic: Franz Schubert  (Read 113136 times)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
Re: Franz Schubert - fav piano sonata set
« Reply #680 on: September 14, 2021, 04:41:01 AM »
Hi, Schubert fans, favorite piano works set?

I'm seeing a few names that I'm a little unfamiliar such as Leonskaja, Zacharias, and Dalberto. I do own several single discs from Uchida, Brendal, Wosner, and Richter, but there are some earlier sonatas I'd like to get and I'm always up for duplicates of some of my favorites.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated!
Some favorites:

This Uchida set:

PD

EDIT:  Whoopsie!  I just deleted a couple of postings as I see this thread is just about his sonatas.  Let me know whether or not you're interested in me reposting them.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:44:16 AM by Pohjolas Daughter »

Offline amw

• Veteran member
Re: Franz Schubert
« Reply #681 on: September 14, 2021, 06:18:28 AM »
I'd love to hear more recordings of the G major sonata, D894. I only have one, Marta Deyanova's gargantuan, Brucknerian reading on Nimbus (clocking in at 17 seconds short of an hour  :o) and I think I owe it to myself to hear a more "normal" take. It's a beautiful work.
D894 depends heavily on the soft and moderator pedals, which produced effects impossible to replicate on the modern piano. The best overall recordings are on period instruments: Yasuyo Yano, who is on the slow side, and Schiff (ECM) who is closer to average. Andreas Staier is also worth hearing, as are most of the other period instrument performances.

For modern instruments, Eduard Erdmann’s performance is necessary to hear, even though most people probably won’t like it; it offers a very different perspective on the music.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
Re: Franz Schubert
« Reply #682 on: September 14, 2021, 01:35:56 PM »
Thank you for all the recs, friends. I certainly have a lot of exploring to do now.

I did purchase the Elisabeth Leonskaja set (see pic below), 6 cds and very good reviews for $20 brand new was a no-brainer.

Offline mabuse

Re: Franz Schubert - fav piano sonata set
« Reply #683 on: September 14, 2021, 02:07:25 PM »
Hi, Schubert fans, favorite piano works set?

I'm seeing a few names that I'm a little unfamiliar such as Leonskaja, Zacharias, and Dalberto. I do own several single discs from Uchida, Brendal, Wosner, and Richter, but there are some earlier sonatas I'd like to get and I'm always up for duplicates of some of my favorites.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated!

I have a great love for Ingrid Haebler artistry :

(I am also glad to see that she is still with us ... 92 years old this year!)