Glazunov's glass of vodka

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2008, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Informative and sounds right. Thank you.

Listening to the recording by K. Ivanov today.

kyjo

Hurwitz just released a video on the BEST and WORST Glazunov symphony cycles: https://youtu.be/IJa_0EyNcmA

Unlike I imagine some members here will, I generally agree with him in preferring the more recent cycles by non-Russian conductors (Järvi, Serebrier) to the older ones by Soviet-era conductors.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Daverz

Quote from: kyjo on June 15, 2021, 08:34:17 AM
Hurwitz just released a video on the BEST and WORST Glazunov symphony cycles: https://youtu.be/IJa_0EyNcmA

Unlike I imagine some members here will, I generally agree with him in preferring the more recent cycles by non-Russian conductors (Järvi, Serebrier) to the older ones by Soviet-era conductors.

Presto still lists both the Serebrier and Jarvi CD sets as in stock:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8468583--glazunov-the-complete-symphonies-concertos
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8519976--glazunov-the-symphonies

The Serebrier set is a great bargain.

I don't think DH mentioned Rozhdestvensky, probably because it's long OOP.  You can find the Olympia incarnations streaming and for download (though I can't find 8 or 9).  I assume DH's comments about Russian conductors also apply to Gennady.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Thank you for the post.  Personally, not a big fan of the Otaka/BBC cycle lauded by him, while I like the Jarvi cycle. My favorite would be the Fedoseyev set followed by the Svetlanov.

Mirror Image

I watched the Hurwitz video (mainly out of curiosity) and I disagree with his picks (of course). My favorite cycles are Rozhdestvensky and Svetlanov. I think Järvi is quite good, though. I'm rather ambivalent about Serebrier as I don't think he has the 'Glazuov sound' or, at least, the kind of sounds I associate with this composer. I believe that Glazunov's music does need a bit more dramatic bite to it, but this doesn't mean one has to loose the lyricism or melodic nature of these works and I think Svetlanov and Rozhdestvensky understand this better than most.

Roasted Swan

As ever - some sensible insights balanced with some absurd generalisations - Glazunov is as good a symphonist as Bruckner springs to mind in the latter category.  Not debating the statement just the comparison - a bit like saying a fish is better than a horse.  He's right that Fedoseyev is a remarkably dull conductor most of the time but odd he didn't mention Rohzdestvensky or Polyansky (perhaps both are OOP?) - but then Serebrier which he said IS OOP is still available on Amazon Prime very cheaply indeed.  Svetlanov is the best of the Soviet-style cycles

Mirror Image

What does everyone think of Glazunov's chamber music? I love his orchestral music, but I'd like to branch out. Any suggestions?

Brian

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 15, 2021, 03:02:54 PM
but then Serebrier which he said IS OOP is still available on Amazon Prime very cheaply indeed.  Svetlanov is the best of the Soviet-style cycles
I ordered the Serebrier from ArkivMusic two months ago, they never shipped it, and they never canceled the order. :-X I suspect what that means is, (a) it is out of print in the sense that they aren't making more of them, but some retailers still have a bunch sitting around (and I ordered from one that doesn't), and (b) I should write to ArkivMusic and complain.

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 15, 2021, 03:13:23 PM
What does everyone think of Glazunov's chamber music? I love his orchestral music, but I'd like to branch out. Any suggestions?
Big, big fan of the string quintet. My favorite piece of his. It has two cellos and has a very similar romantic warmth and melodic sweep to Borodin's Second Quartet. (Structurally similar too, with the slow movement third.) Instantly likeable. Nothing profound, but like the Borodin piece, absolutely gorgeous. I own three recordings (Naxos, BIS, MDG), and they are all very good. The couplings might decide it for you; MDG has another Glazunov piece, which I've heard only once and don't remember too well (it is part of a complete quartet series); BIS has a Taneyev quintet; and Naxos has the teenage Novelettes, which are little cutesy miniatures in various styles (Spanish, Gypsy, medieval, etc.). The imitations per se are pretty bad  ;D , you won't listen to the medieval one and go, "Wow! Just like Chant!", but the music is again fun and easy on the ear. I do think the Naxos performers could be about 10% faster in the Gypsy one, but otherwise they (like the other two groups) are well-suited to the music.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 15, 2021, 10:20:23 AM
Thank you for the post.  Personally, not a big fan of the Otaka/BBC cycle lauded by him, while I like the Jarvi cycle. My favorite would be the Fedoseyev set followed by the Svetlanov.

Interesting, thanks.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on June 15, 2021, 03:45:00 PM
Big, big fan of the string quintet. My favorite piece of his. It has two cellos and has a very similar romantic warmth and melodic sweep to Borodin's Second Quartet. (Structurally similar too, with the slow movement third.) Instantly likeable. Nothing profound, but like the Borodin piece, absolutely gorgeous. I own three recordings (Naxos, BIS, MDG), and they are all very good. The couplings might decide it for you; MDG has another Glazunov piece, which I've heard only once and don't remember too well (it is part of a complete quartet series); BIS has a Taneyev quintet; and Naxos has the teenage Novelettes, which are little cutesy miniatures in various styles (Spanish, Gypsy, medieval, etc.). The imitations per se are pretty bad  ;D , you won't listen to the medieval one and go, "Wow! Just like Chant!", but the music is again fun and easy on the ear. I do think the Naxos performers could be about 10% faster in the Gypsy one, but otherwise they (like the other two groups) are well-suited to the music.

Thanks a lot, Brian. This is quite helpful. I've been eyeing that BIS recording (coupled with Taneyev).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 15, 2021, 03:13:23 PM

Definitely his Suite for string quartet in C major that can be found on this CD, and curiosly is coupled with the String Quintet:

The Suite is a winning work full of personality and memorable material. IIRC his first two or three SQs contain fine music, but I found the next ones somewhat down-watered, nothing particularly special.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

Oh cool, that is one of the CDs I was referring to. Maybe I'll relisten tomorrow. :)

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 15, 2021, 06:27:54 PM
Definitely his Suite for string quartet in C major that can be found on this CD, and curiosly is coupled with the String Quintet:

The Suite is a winning work full of personality and memorable material. IIRC his first two or three SQs contain fine music, but I found the next ones somewhat down-watered, nothing particularly special.

The two works on that disc, along with the Five Novelettes for string quartet, are the highlights of his chamber output IMO. The SQs of his that I've heard proved to be rather disappointing.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 15, 2021, 06:27:54 PM

Looks like I'll just stick with the Suite and String Quintet. Thanks.

Mirror Image

I downloaded the String Quintet on BIS (Gringolts Quartet + Poltera) via iTunes as I didn't want to pay full price to get one work --- if I was interested in Taneyev, I would've bought the physical product. Anyway, for $3, I'm not complaining. I'll be listening to this work momentarily.

Mirror Image

I finished the String Quintet about 20 minutes ago and I have to say I found quite impressive. As with so much of this composer's music, the melodic invention is through the roof as he spins one web after of another of lyrical beauty. I personally don't think this Gringolts Quartet/Poltera performance could be bettered. If there's such a thing as musical perfection, this is performance is it without a doubt in my mind.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 09, 2021, 07:38:31 AM
Informative and sounds right. Thank you.

Listening to the recording by K. Ivanov today.

As far as I remember, very good (= symphony no.5). I just have the LP.

Though I do own some of the chamber music, I haven't listened that much to it & can't really try to judge, except a moderate appreciation of the quite good Novelettes for string quartet, including the Spanish piece there.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 15, 2021, 09:27:17 PM
I finished the String Quintet about 20 minutes ago and I have to say I found quite impressive. As with so much of this composer's music, the melodic invention is through the roof as he spins one web after of another of lyrical beauty. I personally don't think this Gringolts Quartet/Poltera performance could be bettered. If there's such a thing as musical perfection, this is performance is it without a doubt in my mind.
Hooray!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 16, 2021, 04:25:31 AM
As far as I remember, very good (= symphony no.5). I just have the LP.

Yes, No. 5 and others by Konstantin Ivanov sound very good to me. Also, the recordings by Golovanov are wild and unique. I like them, but listeners maybe divided on these recordings.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on June 16, 2021, 04:30:09 AM
Hooray!

And a thank you Brian for giving me that push to finally give this work a listen. It seems our tastes are more similar than I initially thought.