What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlice

Hiya, Karl! Yes, the inspiration was the thread you started on the Beginners board! I'd like to participate if I can find the time to do so, and the Naxos subscription or whatever it is came with my symphony subscription, so I tried it out last night for the first time, not having a recording of Agon yet. :)

Today's listen is Songs of the Auvergne sung by Victoria de los Angeles. I have had these in mind for a listen for some time now, and this morning is the perfect opportunity.

It is cool this morning here; the cool feels lovely coming into the warm house -- I have all the doors open -- but was a bit too chilly for sitting on the patio for breakfast, even with flannel pajamas on. The sky is clear and October seems very close. To feel the cool air, hear the familiar and lovely Songs, have a good strong cup of coffee on which to sip and a very fuzzy cat to pet.... a perfect morning. And in a bit, I'll go off for a 22-mile bike ride and lunch with others on a great trail I've been meaning to ride again.

Life is good!

karlhenning

Molto bene!

And a Naxos perq riding on the symphony subscription: very nice!

What are you going to hear at symphony this season?

[ Should really take it here, of course ]

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on September 18, 2009, 11:21:57 PM

Good morning. :)

Q

Que,  This CD is on its way from MDT along with a few other Glossa recordings.  I have about a dozen of Glossa CD's on my latest shopping list.  How do you like the CD anyway?

Coopmv

Quote from: Harry on September 19, 2009, 03:29:42 AM
From this box, CD I.

Les Salons Precieux du Premier Baroque.

Antoine Boesset, Airs de Cour.
Robert Ballard, Pieces de Luth.
Anonyme, Pieces pour Luth.

Monique Zanetti, Soprano.
Claire Antonini, Lute.

Very fine Lute pieces, and Zanetti sings the stars from heaven. Well recorded.

Harry, good morning.

Nice to hear such positive review.  This set will be part of my collection very soon, though I will not be able to get it at a price you folks in the old world have paid.

Harry

J. S Bach.
Organ Works.
Leo Doeselaar on the Hagerbeer/Schnitger Organ of the Great or St Laurens Church, Alkmaar.
Recorded in 1987.

BWV: 548, 572, 590, 653, 684, 768.

This is a pretty impressive recording, not the least of its famous organ, with its unique sound. These big boned works from Bach, sound well spaced, and you can clearly detect the different lines in it.
Quite a experience on my primary system.
Thanks Que!

haydnguy

Tchaikovsky
Symphony No. 5
Riccardo Muti, conductor
Philharmonia Orchestra
Brilliant Classics

Harry

Quote from: Coopmv on September 19, 2009, 05:16:12 AM

Harry, good morning.

Nice to hear such positive review.  This set will be part of my collection very soon, though I will not be able to get it at a price you folks in the old world have paid.

Well its worth every penny you put in it, already in my second cd, and I cannot wait to play the other 18.

Harry

Quote from: haydnguy on September 19, 2009, 05:17:32 AM
Tchaikovsky
Symphony No. 5
Riccardo Muti, conductor
Philharmonia Orchestra
Brilliant Classics

This is in my ears a most excellent set, that can be put next to Karajan's famous set.

haydnguy

I am really enjoying it Harry. It appears to be out of print on Amazon (U.S.) so I'm glad I grabbed it when I did because it's a bit more now.  ;)

Coopmv

Quote from: Harry on September 19, 2009, 05:19:48 AM
This is in my ears a most excellent set, that can be put next to Karajan famous set.

But which Karajan set?  Please enlighten the somewhat less informed ...

Coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the last CD set received from BRO over a week ago ...

Harry

Quote from: Coopmv on September 19, 2009, 05:51:36 AM
But which Karajan set?  Please enlighten the somewhat less informed ...

Here's the light.

Harry

Quote from: haydnguy on September 19, 2009, 05:25:02 AM
I am really enjoying it Harry. It appears to be out of print on Amazon (U.S.) so I'm glad I grabbed it when I did because it's a bit more now.  ;)

Still available at JPC de, checked it.

karlhenning

Tallis
Lamentations of Jeremiah
The Tallis Scholars

Coopmv

Quote from: Harry on September 19, 2009, 06:03:21 AM
Here's the light.

Thank you, Harry.  I think I have most of the Tchaikovsky symphonies Karajan recorded - the DG sets and some EMI recordings.

Coopmv

Coopmv

Coopmv

Now playing CD11 from this set ...

haydnguy

Continuing on to Symphony No. 6

Tchaikovsky
Symphony No. 6
Riccardo Muti, conductor
Philharmonia Orchestra
Brilliant Classics