What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Papy Oli

Quote from: George on December 04, 2009, 11:57:45 AM
His Mahler 6 is off the hook! You heard that one, papy?

yep, quite a good'un  :D

edit

thread duty :

Handel - Water Music
Norrington - London Classical Players
Olivier

val

MAHLER:   Symphony n. 3              / Norma Procter, LSO, Horenstein

A powerful version, with great moments: the beginning of the first movement, the 3rd movement and, in special, the final Adagio.

But I still prefer the natural and the poetry of Adler's version. Besides, Procter cannot be compared with Rossl-Majdan.

The version of Haitink with Forrester would be my third choice.

Que

Great ensemble, very fine cellist, nice music.  :)

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: erato on December 05, 2009, 12:35:14 AM

I have slowly been putting together a collection of Handel oratorioes (his operas are the main thing with me) and got this very cheaply at hmv.com thanks to a tip here.

I only have Ezio by Alan Curtis left to buy.  I picked up all the Handel operas by the King's Consort over the summer ...

Coopmv

Quote from: papy on December 05, 2009, 01:08:32 AM
yep, quite a good'un  :D

edit

thread duty :

Handel - Water Music
Norrington - London Classical Players

Are you playing this set by any chance?  I bought mine about 2 months ago ...

Coopmv

Now playing CD4 from this set ...

Papy Oli

Quote from: Coopmv on December 05, 2009, 04:11:18 AM
Are you playing this set by any chance?  I bought mine about 2 months ago ...

it is an HMV Classics CD, but containing works from EMI/virgin Classics, so most likely the same versions....
Olivier

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on December 04, 2009, 08:04:30 PM
Prokofiev's sixth piano sonata. Richter plays with such extraordinary passion and precision...pulsating energy and swirling colors blasted from the keyboard yet never - never - overindulging for theatrical effect. What ability, too, to croon over the tiniest of details for maximum...tenderness...when called for. All this of course courtesy of Prokofiev but WOW how this pianist can soak it all up and present it. Total visionaries, both.

Believe it or not, that is one Richter CD that I have yet to get. I forget why, but I think it has to do with a few people not recommending it. How's the rest of the set?

Coopmv

Quote from: papy on December 05, 2009, 04:33:36 AM
it is an HMV Classics CD, but containing works from EMI/virgin Classics, so most likely the same versions....

I hope to pick up this Berlioz Requiem by Norrington, which has garnered some excellent reviews ...

George

I recently did a rough comparison of the first 5 sonatas from this set and the earlier one from Music and Arts. I found the Sony/Columbia one to be a bit more relaxed with much better sound. The earlier one is in mono, the later one in stereo. The Music and Arts set sounds more Schnabelian, as her teacher was Schnabel at one time. Perhaps as I listen on, I will find sonatas where the Sony is inferior, but so far that hasn't been the case for me.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on December 05, 2009, 05:31:50 AM

I recently did a rough comparison of the first 5 sonatas from this set and the earlier one from Music and Arts. I found the Sony/Columbia one to be a bit more relaxed with much better sound. The earlier one is in mono, the later one in stereo. The Music and Arts set sounds more Schnabelian, as her teacher was Schnabel at one time. Perhaps as I listen on, I will find sonatas where the Sony is inferior, but so far that hasn't been the case for me.

I have read many positive reviews of Lili Kraus' piano virtuosity.  Unfortunately, this twofer is her only recordings I currently have in my collection ...

George

Quote from: Coopmv on December 05, 2009, 05:39:53 AM
I have read many positive reviews of Lili Kraus' piano virtuosity.  Unfortunately, this twofer is her only recordings I currently have in my collection ...

How do you like it? That one looks interesting.

Coopmv

Now playing CD3 - which includes Pathetique - one of my favorite LvB PS's - from this set ...

George

I forget who it was that posted her Rameau was gorgeous, but they were most definitely correct.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on December 05, 2009, 05:43:18 AM
How do you like it? That one looks interesting.

My memory is somewhat hazy since I have not listened to the set in a long time.  A while ago, I heard the owner of Vanguard ran into some financial trouble.  I bought a bunch of SACD's that were remastered from some original Vanguard's recordings from the 60's and 70's, including this very lovely Chopin recording by Brendel back in 02 or 03 ...

Coopmv

Quote from: George on December 05, 2009, 05:49:53 AM

I forget who it was that posted her Rameau was gorgeous, but they were most definitely correct.

Yeah, I remember you have this set.  IIRC, this set was quite cheap.  Not sure if this is still the case ...

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on December 05, 2009, 05:46:09 AM
Now playing CD3 - which includes Pathetique - one of my favorite LvB PS's - from this set ...

You very often post about what you are listening to, but more interesting for me and other members here would be your reactions and thoughts about these recordings - actually this should be the only purpose of posting the music one is listening to, or what??
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on December 05, 2009, 06:28:31 AM
You very often post about what you are listening to, but more interesting for me and other members here would be your reactions and thoughts about these recordings - actually this should be the only purpose of posting the music one is listening to, or what??

IMO, this was an excellent performance of the Pathetique and the SQ is not too shabby either with excellent piano tone given the age of the recording.  I would put it in the same league with those I am already familiar with - those by Gulda, Fischer, Gilels, Kempff and Schnabel since I already own all the other sets. 

As to how much details each post should provide about the recording in question, it really is up to the individuals, is it?  There are other forum members who do not care about posting a thesis on what they are listening either ...

Harry

Quote from: premont on December 05, 2009, 06:28:31 AM

Agreed wholeheartedly.