Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 01, 2019, 05:23:06 AM
To be clear, the original thesis was that Schoenberg was incapable of writing restful music, and my suggestion was the first counterexample which occurred to me.

The demand for a heart-melting melody is both a repositioning of the goal posts, and sufficiently subjective that no response I offer will satisfy.
Well, no Schoenberg you offer will satisfy!  ;) :laugh:

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on December 31, 2018, 11:08:38 PM
Anyway thanks to you I had an idea for Karl, I think he should write a setting of Gerard Manley Hopkins's God's Grandeur . It's crying out to be set to music and as far as I know no one's done it yet.

That's an excellent idea. Karl, looks like you have a new commission.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

To be clear, the original thesis was that Schoenberg was incapable of writing restful music

That's not my thesis, I never said that.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Cato on December 31, 2018, 05:21:59 PM
Oh my, so many choices!

Let me recommend off the top of my head: Verklaerte Nacht, the love songs in Part I of Gurrelieder, especially Tove's final song, along with Part II Lied der Waldtaube, Pelleas und Melisande, the two Chamber Symphonies, Friede auf Erden, Die Nacht from Pierrot Lunaire, the Recognition scene toward the end of Erwartung, and for heart-melting Sprechstimme try the cantata Die Jakobsleiter with the song Herr, mein ganzes Leben lang and the final scene of the opera Moses und Aron.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

(poco) Sforzando

We must distinguish "heart-melting" from "heart-warming." There is a difference of degree.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Karl Henning

The choir of St Paul's Episcopal Church in Delray Beach Florida will sing my arrangement of "the Epiphany hymn Brightest and Best from The Southern Harmony during the service Sunday January the service will live stream on YouTube. Paul tells me they will likely sing my anthem ca. 11am Chowder Time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2LV8_5Agtn601scI5BWHuQ
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

To be clear, the original thesis was that Schoenberg was incapable of writing restful music, and my suggestion was the first counterexample which occurred to me.

The demand for a heart-melting melody is both a repositioning of the goal posts, and sufficiently subjective that no response I offer will satisfy.

Ah yes, I can see you're finding your old form!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on January 01, 2019, 09:48:26 PM
Ah yes, I can see you're finding your old form!

Hip, hip, hurrah! Three cheers for our Karl8)

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 01, 2019, 02:12:28 PM
The choir of St Paul's Episcopal Church in Delray Beach Florida will sing my arrangement of "the Epiphany hymn Brightest and Best from The Southern Harmony during the service Sunday January the service will live stream on YouTube. Paul tells me they will likely sing my anthem ca. 11am Chowder Time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2LV8_5Agtn601scI5BWHuQ

Excellent!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on January 01, 2019, 08:51:31 AM
That's not my thesis, I never said that.  :)

In so many words, no.

Quote from: Florestan on December 25, 2018, 06:50:33 AM
A few monents of rest and refreshment???

JS Bach said as much:

Can you imagine Berlioz, Wagner, Schoenberg or Boulez subscribing to that? Only if one substituted "restive" for "rest" and "torment" for "refreshment".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

But, I take the point, you are at liberty to deride Schoenberg in what thread soever, and there is no point in my seeking to respond. I acknowledge the foolishness of the attempt.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 02, 2019, 03:57:54 AM
In so many words, no.

Oh, gosh! Hah!  :laugh:

Well, I did forget about it, because it's really forgettable.  :)

You know you should not take ad litteram whatever I write, especially when it's formulated in absolute terms.  :D

Anyway, mea culpa then --- and I really enjoyed Weihnachtmusik.

We're still friends, right?   :-*

pjme

Quote from: Mandryka on December 31, 2018, 11:08:38 PM
Anyway thanks to you I had an idea for Karl, I think he should write a setting of Gerard Manley Hopkins's God's Grandeur . It's crying out to be set to music and as far as I know no one's done it yet.

Sir Arthur Bliss did :

https://www.youtube.com/v/N9C61nyJTeo

"The visionary quality, and the colourful and dramatic imagery stirred Bliss in his setting of the verses of Gerald Manley Hopkins. The World is charged With the Grandeur of God, the other major work on the album, was commissioned for the 1969 Aldeburgh Festival. [The Maltings fire of that year dictated that the premiere was held in a local church instead.] Bliss was now 78 but anybody expecting something autumnal would have been disappointed for this is a work of virility and wonder. It is in the form of a triptych - its outer movements for SATB and brass (three trumpets with two tenor and two bass trombones) and the central panel for two flutes and upper voices. It presents three aspects of man's ideal of God - reverentially awe-struck, caringly reflective and mystically exultant. The first movement presents the Bliss of ceremonial, brass fanfares open it and the choir proclaims exultantly. The sonorities "flame out" and the music is bright and rugged suggestive, as Giles aptly says, "of Charles Ives recapturing the faith of his puritan settler forbears." The central movement is poised purity, the voices supported by a beautiful interplay of the flutes' lines. The final movement is once more on a heroic scale, bold and challenging. Easterbrook rates The World is charged with the Grandeur of God as "one of Bliss's very great works."
Source: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/dec99/bliss.htm

I knew of the existence of this work, but am hearing it now for the first time...mixed feelings though.  A second hearing may change that.
P.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on December 31, 2018, 06:44:15 PM
Your definition of heart warming is apparently not mine.
Of pain. >:D

I find AS's music icy and unemotional. The only exceptions being Verklarte Nacht and one other thing, the precise identity of which I can't recall.

I know you've given the music a fair shake, Leo's mentioned the Wood Dove Song from Gurrelieder, I think that may be a good fit
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Via "instant message," Karl indicated that the new facility is quite fine and that his progress continues.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Cato on January 03, 2019, 05:54:04 AM
Via "instant message," Karl indicated that the new facility is quite fine and that his progress continues.

1+ for Karl - keep up the good work into the New Year!  Dave :)

ritter

Happy new year, Karl! I wish you continue to improve steadily...

Warm regards from Madrid,

Rafael

Karl Henning

Getting some more grip in my left hand
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).