Author Topic: Elgar's Hillside  (Read 236542 times)

Offline Irons

Re: Elgar's Hillside
« Reply #3140 on: May 19, 2019, 11:04:40 PM »
I would not like to choose. The violin concerto has enjoyed greater advocacy down the years. From the premiere recording with boy Menuhin and Elgar himself and the first performance, again with the composer and Kreisler. Also international "stars" for example Heifetz  made recordings. The lineage of the Cello Concerto until du Pré is not up to that level, Casals did record the work but I have not heard it.

Rostropovich was asked why he never played the Elgar, he replied "My pupil Jacqueline du Pré, played it much better then I".   
And behind the slime and the croaking there was , sure enough, like an old master beneath a layer of dirt, the noble outline of that divine music. - Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf.

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #3141 on: May 20, 2019, 12:48:54 AM »
I would not like to choose. The violin concerto has enjoyed greater advocacy down the years. From the premiere recording with boy Menuhin and Elgar himself and the first performance, again with the composer and Kreisler. Also international "stars" for example Heifetz  made recordings. The lineage of the Cello Concerto until du Pré is not up to that level, Casals did record the work but I have not heard it.

Rostropovich was asked why he never played the Elgar, he replied "My pupil Jacqueline du Pré, played it much better then I".

According to Wiki this is the pre-Du Pre discography......

Beatrice Harrison   London Symphony Orchestra   Sir Edward Elgar   HMV   1928
W H Squire   Hallé Orchestra   Sir Hamilton Harty   Columbia   1930
Pablo Casals   BBC Symphony Orchestra   Sir Adrian Boult   EMI   1945
Anthony Pini   London Philharmonic Orchestra   Eduard van Beinum   Decca   1950
Paul Tortelier   BBC Symphony Orchestra   Sir Malcolm Sargent   EMI   1954
André Navarra   Hallé Orchestra   Sir John Barbirolli   Pye   1957
Mstislav Rostropovich   Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra   Natan Rakhlin   Revelation   1958[2]
Mstislav Rostropovich   Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra   Gennadi Rozhdestvensky   Russiandisc   1964[3]

which includes 2 (non studio) by Rostropovitch.... I assume he meant he didn't play it after Du Pre recorded it.  The Casals is technically pretty ropey........

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #3142 on: May 20, 2019, 01:24:05 AM »

Mstislav Rostropovich   Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra   Natan Rakhlin   Revelation   1958[2]
Mstislav Rostropovich   Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra   Gennadi Rozhdestvensky   Russiandisc   1964[3]

Navarra/Barbirolli is my favourite though I have it on the Testament label

which includes 2 (non studio) by Rostropovitch.... I assume he meant he didn't play it after Du Pre recorded it.  The Casals is technically pretty ropey........

Offline Irons

« Reply #3143 on: May 20, 2019, 06:00:40 AM »

I was going to mention the Pini recording as it is very good. Tortelier recorded it again with Boult which was I think around the same time, or just after du Pré.

And behind the slime and the croaking there was , sure enough, like an old master beneath a layer of dirt, the noble outline of that divine music. - Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf.

Offline Irons

« Reply #3144 on: May 20, 2019, 06:24:48 AM »
not really...... the Du Pre recording was made in the mid 60's.... the Elgar Cello concerto's status was firmly established in the nearly 50 years prior to that.

Walton is one of my most favourite composers... of the 3 string concerti the cello concerto is often cited (I think rightly) as the weakest.  I like it but the Elgar is without a shadow of doubt the finer work.  The Finzi runs neither close.  The disdain mentioned here is as much bound up with its popularity as its quality.

A good reason as any to journey through British cello concertos. I commenced last night with the Walton, a bit like comparing apples with oranges but yes, the Elgar without a doubt the finer concerto. Piatigorsky, the dedicatee, gives a committed account and the recording from the "golden age" RCA is superb. I intend to follow up with Moeran and Finzi.