Author Topic: Bach's Violin Sonatas & Partitas (solo)  (Read 62393 times)

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
Re: Bach's Violin Sonatas & Partitas (solo)
« Reply #260 on: February 23, 2019, 02:57:05 AM »
The other thing about Letzbor's recordings is he split up the works: a recording of just the partitas and another recording of just the sonatas.  I like to hear them alternated, as is done by most violinists.  But in looking at Giuliano Carmignola's, they are not alternated (but at least they are all on one recording). 

I started listening to Letzbor's sonata record and the sound eventually got to me and I switched to Carmignola.  But I switched again to Monica Huggett, who alternates the sonatas and partitias.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:11:51 AM by San Antone »

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2019, 03:34:31 AM »
The other thing about Letzbor's recordings is he split up the works: a recording of just the partitas and another recording of just the sonatas

yes it would be interesting to know why he does that. They're in the usual order I think, but it seems that there are some manuscripts (Kellner) which put them in something more like Letzbor's order.  I just found this

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3126976?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:39:03 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2019, 08:00:58 PM »
My first recording of the S&Ps was the one by Heifetz, with sonatas in CD1 and partitas on CD2.  So the idea is not very strange to me.
There is a certain sense to it since it allows one to focus on each of the types,  bringing the similarities and differences among the sonatas and among the partitas to the fore.

and of course if you prefer the alternating arrangement, you can program or rip/burn the sequence you prefer.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #263 on: February 24, 2019, 03:37:20 AM »
Much as I love tbe music, I'm unlikely to listen to more than two of the suites in one session.  I also happen to generally prefer the Sonatas to the Partitas, so if I were buying physical media** I would welcome a 1-disc set of the Sonatas.  I also generally prefer the minor key to the major so a 1-disc set of S1P1S2 works for me too.  Assuming of course there's a price advantage to the single disc.  Obviously if the recording/performance turns out to really catch my fancy I'll add the rest.

** I don't actually have a CD player any more but if a (used) CD is the cheapest or only way to get hold of the music, then I'll buy it and rip it, I do still prefer that to streaming.

Talking of streaming, I greatly surprised myself this morning by listening to the Hilary Hahn recording of the 2nd sonata - quite splendid, especially the Andante which is just spellbinding.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:29:07 AM by aukhawk »

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #264 on: March 05, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »

There's a sense of balance here, the structure of each movement is gently laid bare. He's almost innocent sounding, self effacing, and not forceful. The rhythm and phrasing is fluid -- I mean it transcends the the bar lines, but not in an ostentatious way. I like it very much.  Szeryng recorded the music twice I think, I think this is the first. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:46:10 AM by Mandryka »

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #265 on: Today at 10:22:19 AM »

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #266 on: Today at 10:37:51 AM »

There's a sense of balance here, the structure of each movement is gently laid bare. He's almost innocent sounding, self effacing, and not forceful. The rhythm and phrasing is fluid -- I mean it transcends the the bar lines, but not in an ostentatious way. I like it very much.  Szeryng recorded the music twice I think, I think this is the first.

I'm tempted to get that, until I think "can it possibly be better than his DG recording?" I always answer "no," to myself. Maybe I'm wrong.
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #267 on: Today at 11:24:18 AM »
I'm tempted to get that, until I think "can it possibly be better than his DG recording?" I always answer "no," to myself. Maybe I'm wrong.

I was planning on exploring the different recordings. Maybe tomorrow .