Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 2107784 times)

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #15800 on: June 17, 2020, 06:12:02 AM »
Is anyone, by some small chance, familiar with this album? I'm intrigued by the programming.

The French seem to have been seriously into these collective compositions at a certain point.
I've had it since it was first released. The most successful collection of homages in it is, IMHO, the first such venture, dedicated to Haydn. It's good to have the famous pieces of this collection (the Debussy and Ravel--the latter being the best of the lot, I'd say), along with the lesser-known ones (Hahn's delightful pastiche, d'Indy's Menuet, the Dukas plaintive Prélude...). As the basic melodic material is the same (as prescribed by the commission), it's actually quite fascinating to hear how each composer treats it.

The Fauré and Roussel homages left a weaker impression on me (but the Ravel Berceuse for violin and piano--in the former--is quite enchanting). IIRC, since both these sets have pieces with different instrumental combination--including, in some cases, singing--(as opposed as the Haydn collection, which is for piano solo in its entirety), they also appear less unified (not that this is good or bad per se). Still, I should revisit them soon.

Margaret Fingerhut's playing is first rate. Here's a very positive review from Gramophone.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 07:13:55 AM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
„ Kein’ Musik ist ja nicht auf Erden, die unsrer verglichen kann werden“.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #15801 on: June 17, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
Thanks! Much appreciated including the Gramophone link.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #15802 on: June 20, 2020, 05:29:34 AM »

I want to 1.) hear how the younger Fouchenneret sounds in Beethoven, and 2.) know why he and his brother didn't record the violin sonatas.

Hmm.

Hmm, indeed.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #15803 on: June 21, 2020, 01:22:02 PM »

I can't believe I missed this before, Herbert Schuch teaming up with Reinhard Goebel and Mirijam Contzen to play some Hummel.  I'm thinking I need to buy.

He also recently teamed with Sarah Christian and Maximilian Hornung (!) to perform some Mozart Piano Trios for Bavarian Radio.  Man, I hope that gets released. 

And Ms Christian has paired up with Ragna Schirmer, too.  So many things to look forward to hearing.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen