Author Topic: Turina  (Read 2033 times)

abidoful

Turina
« on: September 12, 2010, 12:06:53 PM »
I heard Turina's Piano Trio (op.67) today in a concert-first piece i've heard from him-- and i really didn't like it at all; no coherence! And he seemed to miss a distintive musical personality; reminiscences of Franck and Debussy--even of Grieg...! Any recommendations? What should i listen from him?

Offline val

• Veteran member
Re: Turina
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »
Listen to "Canto a Sevilla", a masterpiece for soprano and orchestra. It is perhaps Turina's best work. There are two splendid versions, old but remarkable: Victoria de Los Angeles/Fistoulari and Lola de Aragon/Freitas Branco.

I also suggest that you listen his piano music, by Alicia de Larrocha: two beautiful works, Danzas Fantasticas and Sanlucar de Barrameda.
The Sonata for guitar is another beautiful masterpiece.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:49:13 AM »
Anybody know his string quartet - Oracion de Torero or something like that? With my interest in this medium I've always wondered whether I have actually missed something there.

Offline val

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 03:07:28 AM »
"Oration del Torero" is a work for string orchestra. It is a very beautiful piece. It seems that Turina wrote it, at first, for luth, but I never heard that version.

The version for string orchestra has some great interpretations:  Freitas Branco, Stokowski and Argenta, among others.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 07:21:27 AM »
I've heard only some of his piano music, and then Turina seemed less distinctive than Albeniz, Granados, or Falla.  Still, it's not too bad at all.  Esteban Sanchez's recording brings out enough to listen to on occasion.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »
There's a beautifully done Telarc disc of the Danzas Fantasticas, Sinfonia Sevillana, and La Procesion del Rocio.

I guess I like the Piano Trio more than you do, and it is recognizably Turina.

abidoful

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 03:30:29 AM »
Thanks guys---ill give' em a try