Author Topic: Adding Pictures to Posts - a comprehensive How-to  (Read 11562 times)

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
Adding Pictures to Posts - a comprehensive How-to
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:12:28 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words - here is how to insert a picture into your post on this forum.

There are 3 ways to do it:

1. If your picture is a CD cover (or any other item on Amazon)

Go to the Amazon page for that CD or item, and find its ASIN number. Every item on Amazon has a unique ASIN number, located in the "Product Details" section. For most items it is a 10 digit number starting with B. for books it is the ISBN-10 number. Copy the ASIN number.

For an example, we're going to use a recent recording of the Bach Brandenberg Concertos by the Academy of Ancient Music. If you look at the Amazon page for this item, you will see its ASIN number is B001LJL52Q. (its down the page in the "PRoduct Details" section).

Back on the forum posting page, click the Amazon ASIN button (it looks like this ). This will insert a short bit of code on your page that looks like this:

[asin][/asin].

Click in the middle of this code, between the square brackets and paste the copied ASIN number. For our above example, it should look like this:

[asin]B001LJL52Q[/asin]

Now, when you Post your message, the forum automatically takes that section of code, grabs the image from Amazon, and plonks it into your post, with a little formatting, and a "Buy it" sticker for those that want to purchase. It ends up looking like this:

This works for any item on Amazon - CDs, books, and everything else. This technique has the advantage that images are automatically formatted to 400 pixels wide, so that it fits easily on everyone's screen without scrollbars. It also includes a convenient link to buy the item, and GMG gets a small (5%) commission for every item sold this way.

2. Other images

If the image you want to post is not an Amazon item, you can insert it using the [img] tag. First you need to find the image on the internet, and copy its URL (its internet address). How to do this varies according to what computer and browser you are using:

-On a PC and Internet Explorer:
  Click on the desired picture with the right mouse button.
  Select Properties from the menu.
  Highlight the address appearing under Address (URL):.
  Press Ctrl-C to copy the URL (that's the Ctrl and C keys pressed together)

-On Macs, Firefox, Safari or Opera
  Click on the image with the right mouse button.
  Choose Copy Image Location or Copy Image Address from the menu.

Now go back to your post and click on the Insert Image button (it looks like this ). This will insert a small bit of code into your post that looks like this:

[img][/img]

Click in the middle of this, between the square brackets, and paste the URL you copied in the previous step.

When you post the message, the forum will automatically convert this code, grab the image and paste it into your message.

As an example, we will put the New York Times logo on this page. I go to the New York Times page, right click on the logo and copy the URL.

Now I click the Insert Image button to get this: [img][/img]

Then I paste the copied URL in between the tags to get this: [img]http://i1.nyt.com/images/misc/nytlogo379x64.gif[/img]

When I post my message, that code gets converted to this:

If you want to get creative, you can add some parameters to increase or decrease the displayed size of the image - useful if the image is too large to fit on a page. By adding width or height values, you can alter the width or height, keeping the overall dimensions proportional. See these examples:

[img width=100]http://i1.nyt.com/images/misc/nytlogo379x64.gif[/img]  gives this     

[img height=200]http://i1.nyt.com/images/misc/nytlogo379x64.gif[/img]  gives this     

You can also set independent values for width and height to alter the images dimension ratios:

[img width=100 height=80]http://i1.nyt.com/images/misc/nytlogo379x64.gif[/img]  gives this     

3. Attaching images

The third technique for adding images has been disabled for non-subscribers, as it was the cause of a recent security breach on the forum. If you are a subscriber, below your post, you will see a link saying "Additional Options". When you expand this, you will see an option to attach a file. This can be an image, text, pdf or many other filetypes. This option actually uploads the selected file to the forum server and stores it there for others to see or download.

feel free to add comments if you have anything to add, or need clarification.

cheers
Rob

 Macs are better. They just are.

Harry

Re: Adding Pictures to Posts - a comprehensive How-to
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 03:18:18 AM »
Since I buy most of my Classical CD'S with JPC de, it is not possible to attach this fine label that are on Amazon buys.

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:22:36 AM »
Hi Harry. It doesn't really matter where you buy the CD. This is simply a quick way of adding the CD image. Find the same CD on Amazon, and copy its ASIN, and insert between the tags. Others can use the link to buy the same CD from Amazon.

Of course, if you already have the CD image on your computer from JPC, then it may be easier for you to use the img tag instead.

cheers
Rob

 Macs are better. They just are.

Harry

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 03:29:24 AM »
Hi Harry. It doesn't really matter where you buy the CD. This is simply a quick way of adding the CD image. Find the same CD on Amazon, and copy its ASIN, and insert between the tags. Others can use the link to buy the same CD from Amazon.

Of course, if you already have the CD image on your computer from JPC, then it may be easier for you to use the img tag instead.

cheers
Rob

Very good idea, will do that. And it works fine, so if I can find the image on Amazon I will post it like this.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:42:09 AM by Harry »

Offline King Karajan

• THERE IS ONLY ONE KING!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:05:38 PM »
It's been 2 hours now and I can't figure out how to post a photo to my new topic! I hit the image icon and it just puts img in here. HELP!! I have an apple.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
It's been 2 hours now and I can't figure out how to post a photo to my new topic! I hit the image icon and it just puts img in here. HELP!! I have an apple.

To post an image, it needs to look like this . An example:

This is Kate Beckinsale. One of most beautiful women I've ever seen.
“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »
To post an image, it needs to look like this [ img ]http://__web address here___[ /img ]. An example:

And remove the spaces.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Szykneij

• Veteran member
  • Tony from Massachusetts
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:17:08 PM »
If you want to show an image that's on line, right click on the picture to get the URL under "properties":

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=15576;type=avatar

Then enclose the URL inside the image brackets from the "insert image" icon -- 

and you get

If you want to post a picture from your hard drive, click on the blue  "Attachments and other options" line under the text box. Then you can browse and select your file.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 08:19:02 PM »
If you want to show an image that's on line, right click on the picture to get the URL under "properties":

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=15576;type=avatar

Then enclose the URL inside the image brackets from the "insert image" icon -- 

and you get

If you want to post a picture from your hard drive, click on the blue  "Attachments and other options" line under the text box. Then you can browse and select your file.

Doesn't he have to be a subscriber to post something on a thread from his hard drive?

Offline King Karajan

• THERE IS ONLY ONE KING!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »
It's not an on line photo. I've customized an Ikea book shelf to store all my music and want to post a photo. I can't get a ULR from properties..???

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 08:29:42 PM »
It's not an on line photo. I've customized an Ikea book shelf to store all my music and want to post a photo. I can't get a ULR from properties..???

You have to be a GMG "S" subscriber to post images on a thread from your own hard drive.

Offline PaulR

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »
there are free image hosting sites where you can get the url

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »
How do you post an image which is not an Amazon CD cover please?

I can't find anything in the Help section about this although I may be looking in the wrong place.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
How do you post an image which is not an Amazon CD cover please?

I can't find anything in the Help section about this although I may be looking in the wrong place.

Two ways to post images (see the screen shot attached):  1) As an attachment - simply browse your computer's HD, find the image, and attach as in the bottom of the dialog box (size limit applies); also on the 'preview' option, the image is not shown; 2) use the 'image tag' (next to & left of the 'world' icon above the smileys) - between the [][], insert the URL of an image that is stored on the web, e.g. at a 'photo sharing' site (I use SmugMug, a paid service, but free ones are available) - you can either upload your own images to the site(s) or you can right-click on an image (assume a PC user?) and select 'copy image location - simply paste the URL between the image brackets - see below where I've added 2 images to this reply.  Hope this helps - Dave :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »
sanantonio and Dave,

Very many thanks - I'll see if I can make it work.

Happy New Year

Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 01:00:42 PM »
Still no luck I'm afraid  :(

I can find the 'Insert Image' symbol no problem but what is the image's 'URL' and can I post from 'My pictures' on my laptop?

Sorry for hassle.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 01:36:28 PM »
Still no luck I'm afraid  :(

I can find the 'Insert Image' symbol no problem but what is the image's 'URL' and can I post from 'My pictures' on my laptop?

Sorry for hassle.

Hi, Jeffrey,
Well, in order for the image feature to work, it is vitally important that the image resides in a permanent place on the Internet, and that this place has link locations that don't change. For that reason, images from a place like Amazon (even without the [asin ][ /asin] feature) work well, because they are always in the same place. This is the reason that Dave recommended SmugMug. I use photobucket (www.photobucket.com) for the same purpose. It's free, and all you do is upload the pictures you want into it. They are there for keeps! I still have pictures there from 7 or 8 years ago!  Anyway, then when I want to post a picture, I go to photobucket, browse for the picture or upload it from my computer, click on the "IMG code" line. It copies the link to my clipboard and then I come back here to my message and simply press "Ctrl + V" and it pastes the link in where the cursor is, with the IMG code already in place. Couldn't be easier. All it takes to join is a valid email address.  :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 01:50:11 PM »
Gurn and sanantonio,

Very many thanks.

I'll get there in the end.

Best wishes

Jeffrey ('vandermolen')

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 02:05:04 PM »
Hi, Jeffrey,
Well, in order for the image feature to work, it is vitally important that the image resides in a permanent place on the Internet, and that this place has link locations that don't change. For that reason, images from a place like Amazon (even without the [asin ][ /asin] feature) work well, because they are always in the same place. This is the reason that Dave recommended SmugMug. I use photobucket (www.photobucket.com) for the same purpose. It's free, and all you do is upload the pictures you want into it. They are there for keeps! I still have pictures there from 7 or 8 years ago!  Anyway, then when I want to post a picture, I go to photobucket, browse for the picture or upload it from my computer, click on the "IMG code" line. It copies the link to my clipboard and then I come back here to my message and simply press "Ctrl + V" and it pastes the link in where the cursor is, with the IMG code already in place. Couldn't be easier. All it takes to join is a valid email address.  :)

8)

Thanks for this Gurn. I have got the same problems as Vandermolen, but your recipe is the most clear I have seen so far. I suppose, that one also can insert the picture, which one have uploaded at photobucket, by rightclicking the mouse and leftclicking "insert".
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »
Hi, Jeffrey,

8)

Thanks very much Gurn and sanantonio - I finally cracked it, having created a photobucket account and followed Gurn's suggested procedure. I posted a photo of myself to the 'What do you look like?' section in celebration of this technological breakthrough  ;D.

Thanks again.