Author Topic: The Corelli (1653-1713) Corral  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
The Corelli (1653-1713) Corral
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:07:34 AM »
No thread yet on Arcangelo Corelli? Well, there is now. It even has an alliterative title!

I don't have much biographical information beyond what's on wikipedia. I'll add that he reputedly helped popularized unison bowing -- though I have since heard the same thing about Lully who was a bit older.

I have op. 6 by I Musici and Philharmonia Baroque/McGegan, plus the half that Tafelmusik recorded for DHM. One of the dangers with this set is that the different pieces can sound awfully similar. To me that is a real problem with I Musici. Also, despite some referring to I Musici as HIP, they sound rather lush to me. McGegan seems more successful in differentiating the pieces, but he takes No. 8's famous Pastorale very fast.

I also have the "La Folia and other Sonatas" disc by the Purcell Quartet. That has Catherine Mackintosh and Elizabeth Wallfisch on violin, who were big names on the period-instrument scene in the 80s. I need to pull it out for a listen.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:27:53 PM by Pat B »

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
Re: The Corelli Corral
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
Hi Pat - YES, an Arcangelo Corelli (1653-1713) thread is well deserved! :)  In fact, if you check our Composer's Index, a lot of Italians are 'missing in action' - SO, you've added an important one -  I think most famous for his Op. 6 Concerto Grossi which are well recorded w/ plenty of excellent offerings, i.e. a good start!

For myself, I own quite a bit - will just 'show & tell' for those who may be just getting interested in this composer - NOW, for a 'one place shopping' selection, the 10 CD set on Brilliant w/ Pieter-Jan Belder pretty much covers the guy!  Now a couple of Hyperion Dyads of the Op. 5 & Op. 6 works are recommended (if still available?); another more recent Op. 6 offering is w/ the Avison Ensemble (love them); and finally, some Op, 5 (last half of 12) 'transcriptions' w/ recorder & harpsichord - Stefan Temmingh on recorder superb (YES, goofy face!) - Dave :)

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:11:51 PM »
Hi Pat - YES, an Arcangelo Corelli (1653-1713) thread is well deserved! :)  In fact, if you check our Composer's Index, a lot of Italians are 'missing in action' - SO, you've added an important one -  I think most famous for his Op. 6 Concerto Grossi which are well recorded w/ plenty of excellent offerings, i.e. a good start!
Yes, those are the only pieces I have of his - the Op. 6. While I wasn't so crazy with this group's performance of Locatelli, I really enjoy their Corelli! I should mention that they use modern instruments.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

Yes, there are lots of choices for op. 6. Others I'm aware of are led by Pinnock, Kuijken, and Marriner. I bought McGegan having heard several of them on my local station. I'm completely satisfied by it, with the caveat of that speedy Pastorale.

I listened to that Purcell Quartet disc of sonatas. It's okay, but anybody who doesn't like the '80s style of HIP should steer clear. I think I'll keep an eye out for newer recording(s) of sonatas -- there now seems to be a decent selection for op. 5, at least.

Offline neoshredder

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »
Big fan of Corelli. Here are the recordings I own.

DavidW

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 01:36:33 PM »
Welcome Neoshredder.  I've heard both of those recordings, pretty darned good.

Offline neoshredder

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:34:42 PM »
Welcome Neoshredder.  I've heard both of those recordings, pretty darned good.
Thanks. Glad someone also enjoys Corelli. :) Do you have a preference for his first 4 opuses? A favorite recording?

DavidW

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 05:29:37 AM »
Thanks. Glad someone also enjoys Corelli. :) Do you have a preference for his first 4 opuses? A favorite recording?

Oh the Trio Sonatas?  I haven't heard them, you've posted the extent of my Corelli listening!

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 06:45:12 AM »

Well, for those who like 'one stop shopping', the Brilliant box shown in my post above w/ Belder & his period instrument group is hard to top, i.e. about $30 on the Amazon MP (i.e. $3 a disc) - plus, 9 5* reviews there - Dave :)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 03:33:23 AM »
When I've been wrong, I hope I am always man enough to admit it. Thanks to the Avison Ensemble recording of the Opus 6 Concerti grossi, I now appreciate Corelli's greatness.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot