Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

I was not saying anything against the Fischer (I have only two discs and the older EMI stuff - certainly prefer her to what I have heard of e.g. Brendel, Kempff, Backhaus), just pointing out that it cannot be considered an age-long standard in the way some others can for several "external" reasons.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

NJ Joe

In case anyone is interested, this is part one of a series devoted to Beethoven's piano sonatas on WQXR, NY.
There's a rebroadcast of Thursday's initial program tonight at 10PM eastern.  The regular program is each Thursday 8PM.

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/beethoven-and-sonata-idea-part-1/

"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Todd

[asin]B01NBJF92V[/asin]

Another Japanese market cycle is progressing.  I wonder if it will be done for 2020.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

The newest complete cycle to be released is out.  It was issued in box form on March 1st.

Bogey

Quote from: Todd on March 26, 2017, 12:28:55 PM

The newest complete cycle to be released is out.  It was issued in box form on March 1st.

Always like a number for how many complete cycles you own Todd, especially when you dig into each and every one. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Todd

Quote from: Bogey on March 27, 2017, 04:35:01 AM
Always like a number for how many complete cycles you own Todd, especially when you dig into each and every one.

This will be set 95, if you count Gilels and Gieseking, or 93 of you don't.  (This includes only sets where I own physical copies.)

prémont

Quote from: Todd on March 27, 2017, 06:40:52 AM

This will be set 95, if you count Gilels and Gieseking, or 93 of you don't.  (This includes only sets where I own physical copies.)

Do you include the Backhaus stereo set and the Arrau digital set in the complete sets?
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Todd

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 27, 2017, 08:56:59 AM
Do you include the Backhaus stereo set and the Arrau digital set in the complete sets?

Backhaus yes since I own a physical copy, Arrau digital no since I do not own a physical copy.

Bogey

Quote from: Todd on March 27, 2017, 09:12:16 AM

Backhaus yes since I own a physical copy, Arrau digital no since I do not own a physical copy.

That is stinkin' cool, Todd, as we know those sets are not window dressings at your end, but get used at a connoisseur's level. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on March 27, 2017, 12:58:19 PM
That is stinkin' cool, Todd, as we know those sets are not window dressings at your end, but get used at a connoisseur's level.

If Todd used them as window dressings, he wouldn't be able to see out of them.  8)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

amw

I just noticed Martin Roscoe has a Beethoven cycle apparently in progress on the Deux-Elles label. Not someone I would ordinarily associate with Beethoven to be honest, but, hey.

Spineur

A 91 year old youngster plays the Op. 110

[asin]B00EW5NCM2[/asin]

Music keeps you in shape

Brian

He recorded the CD at age 88, but otherwise, yes! It is an excellent disc.

Todd

My Masi set arrived today.  The packaging is cheap.  It's a multi-DVD/CD case with cheap plastic rings that hold safety sleeves that hold the discs.  The set was executive produced (?) by actor David Strathairn, which Brian had pointed out previously.  There's also something of a boo-boo by the producer in the liner note essay called "Eighty Nine" where he states, obviously incorrectly, that as of the time of writing (November 2016), there were 89 cycles that had been completed or were pending completion.  How hard is it for someone in the industry to do their homework?  Listening shall commence today.

Bogey

Quote from: Todd on March 29, 2017, 02:02:42 PM
My Masi set arrived today.  The packaging is cheap.  It's a multi-DVD/CD case with cheap plastic rings that hold safety sleeves that hold the discs.  The set was executive produced (?) by actor David Strathairn, which Brian had pointed out previously.  There's also something of a boo-boo by the producer in the liner note essay called "Eighty Nine" where he states, obviously incorrectly, that as of the time of writing (November 2016), there were 89 cycles that had been completed or were pending completion. How hard is it for someone in the industry to do their homework?  Listening shall commence today.

Deluxe 247, Todd.

(Google it and play it until it ends. My all time favorite commercial.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLI-nLPiaJA

Todd

Claudio Records will reissue the final volume in Sequeira Costa's cycle next month.

Oldnslow

Todd---did you notice the new Giovanni Bellucci set forthcoming on Brilliant Classics?

Todd

Yes, I saw the three disc set labeled volume one.  As far as I can tell, that's all he has recorded. 

Todd

One of the unavailable sonata cycles is now available as an MP3 download from Amazon for $0.99. 

Oldnslow

Bellucci recorded the Hammerklavier a few years ago, to fine reviews by Bryce Morrison of grammaphone, for what that is worth. The coming recordings are all new apparantly