Author Topic: Steven Mackey (b. 1956)  (Read 701 times)

Offline EigenUser

• Veteran member
  • Mahler's 9th - "Deadlifts in the midst of life"
    • Ligeti's Laboratory
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bartok, Ligeti, Ravel, Gershwin, Debussy, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Feldman, Messiaen, Haydn, Ockeghem, Ad├Ęs, Mahler, Ohana, Webern, Boulez, Varese, Beethoven, Berg, Scriabin, Tippett, Takemitsu, Vaughan-Williams
Steven Mackey (b. 1956)
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:41:58 AM »
I first discovered Mackey at a Borromeo String Quartet performance of his SQ "Ars Moriendi: Nine Tableaux on the Art of Dying Well". This was the first really "avant-garde" work I think that I've ever heard and it had a huge impact on me, both emotionally and musically (and this was at a time when my favorite composer was Felix Mendelssohn). Unfortunately, I haven't found too many other things of his that I like, but I figured that I'd start a thread anyway.

Also, alliterative thread title suggestions?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
Re: Steven Mackey (b. 1956)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:49:25 AM »
The Mackey Stew      /     Even Steven deserves a thread     /     The Mackey Lock
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 07:06:33 AM »
I first discovered Mackey at a Borromeo String Quartet performance of his SQ "Ars Moriendi: Nine Tableaux on the Art of Dying Well". This was the first really "avant-garde" work I think that I've ever heard and it had a huge impact on me, both emotionally and musically (and this was at a time when my favorite composer was Felix Mendelssohn). Unfortunately, I haven't found too many other things of his that I like, but I figured that I'd start a thread anyway.

Mackey's Malarkey is elegant but you might find it too dismissive.
Mackey's Makings

snyprrr

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:32:26 AM »
Isn't her the electric guitar oriented Composer? I've been curious about the evolution of the electric guitar in Composer Music- there still isn't much at all out there that's even remotely impressive to me- and let's be frank, shall we- we all know who's famous for guitar and who isn't. I would be more than happy to start the debate...

Still, I know he's written SQs, and he records with the local Bridge label,... he must have something to say... I'm sure I have an old Bridge cd around here somewhere... shuffle... squeak, shuffle,... I'll get back to ya...