Author Topic: I'm a Bassoon!!!,... Thread  (Read 6066 times)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: I'm a Bassoon!!!,... Thread
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 07:07:32 AM »
Tchaikovsky's Sixth Symphony for anyone who thinks the bassoon cannot be dramatic.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »
And many, many great bassoon licks in the Shostakovich symphonies!  Starting with the marcia funebre which opens the third movement of the Fourth Symphony.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »
I am the Bassoon
by Gurn Blanston

I am the bassoon, I stand straight and tall.
My voice is from the greatest deep
The bass line is what I keep
From straying off the chosen beat
Without me they will doubtless fall,
I am the bassoon.

I am the bassoon, I have been here all the while.
When viols and lutes carried the tune
They did it on top of the bassoon.
When oboes were still called shawm
When flutes were made of hollow sticks
When it was chitarra that played hot licks
I was there, I am the bassoon.

I am the bassoon, I can be a clown.
I can bark and fart and belch in time
With all the others on the melody line
I carry the basses, cellos and brass
No one can replace me so kiss my ass.
I am the bassoon. Blow me.

8)

That is totally hilarious...  8)

(PS, the bassoon is one of my favorite instruments, too.)

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

MN Dave

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 12:46:37 PM »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
:D  Of course, that's totally true of ALL great literature. In fact, the longer and more roundabout, the greater the odds of success. The shortest, easiest thing would have been to say "Bassoons blow". But it wouldn't have had the same impact. ;)

You're darn right, Gurn. That's a genius poem.  8)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 02:27:33 PM »
You're darn right, Gurn. That's a genius poem.  8)

0:)

An impromptu tribute to the King of Continuo... :)

Thanks.

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

PaulSC

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 03:00:24 PM »
Bonus points for resisting the the obvious temptation to rhyme "bassoon" with "buffoon"!

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »
In  my post above re the AMON RA cd, I omitted SCHUBERT's The Trout played on a copy of a c.1800 Tauber contra-bassoon.  I don't remember any songs about fishing for bass,
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

PaulSC

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
If you're going to roll your pants up that high, it is indeed important to match your socks with your sweater!

snyprrr

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 01:57:43 PM »
BUMP

Offline Est.1965

• Veteran member
  • Havergal Brian wrote two symphonies in 1965
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcl0Hg0b2fA&feature=player_detailpage

This has been posted elsewhere on the forum.  Azzolini really switched me on to Bassoons through his antics in masterclass playing.

I certainly am a Bassoon.   :-\
Dear Hans Rott
In the 1980s there was a creative punk group called "Big Audio Dynamite".  I have decided to apply the term to you, my man.  And I still haven't properly finished your Screenplay yet.  Too bad.  Take care anyway old chum, I'm off to listen to Brahms!
Kind regards, John

snyprrr

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcl0Hg0b2fA&feature=player_detailpage

This has been posted elsewhere on the forum.  Azzolini really switched me on to Bassoons through his antics in masterclass playing.

I certainly am a Bassoon.   :-\

That is quite a perky and fruity tone! ;)

Have I noticed that the bassoon seems alone (along with the tuba), in that I've never heard it 'growl'? The bassoon, and horn perhaps, ever seems,...mmm,... polite? Can it make rude sounds, like the oboe or trombone?

Offline jochanaan

• Veteran member
    • Musician, Music Instructor and Piano Tuner
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
That is quite a perky and fruity tone! ;)

Have I noticed that the bassoon seems alone (along with the tuba), in that I've never heard it 'growl'? The bassoon, and horn perhaps, ever seems,...mmm,... polite? Can it make rude sounds, like the oboe or trombone?
You've obviously never sat in front of one in an orchestra! ;D Yep, they growl, they squeak, they squawk... I suspect that most bassoonists, like most oboists, have worked so hard NOT to squawk or growl that they feel that to do so is beneath their hard-earned dignity.  I, on the other hand, get tired of dignity and have no objection to playing a P.D.Q. Bach part for "double reed without benefit of oboe or bassoon." :D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

snyprrr

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 10:51:50 PM »
As I mentioned in the Horn Thread, Anaktoria (1969), by Xenakis, contains great avant-garde workouts for clarinet, horn, and bassoon. Finally, I was able to put together that it is the bassoon (and, I suppose, the contrabassoon family) that is making the very low, fluttering, almost burbling sound that frequents many Xenakis scores. This sound is usually heard by itself, but I never knew until I heard a single bassoon make it which instrument was responsible.

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 10:42:14 AM »
I hate to start a new thread when there could be one that already exists.  So I looked for a bassoon thread and found this one.

I am an amateur bassoonist.

I am having to sell my contra. I am seventy-two with a disability. The contra is a big heavy instrument and I am having problems with the logistics. I can still play it but getting it to and from rehearsals and concerts is a extremely difficult for me. I have found a good home for her. A young player that I have loaned the horn to on several occasions. She calls my bassoon "Sacha". I have had the instrument for over thirty years and I have had a lot of fun playing it. Time to move on  :(

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 03:29:44 PM »
DSCH's 4th Symphony has some amazing bassoon parts.
I also like from Scheherazade's The Kalendar Prince (is there another instance where the bassoon has such a melodic extended solo?
and March from the Scaffold from the Symphonie Fantastique.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2019, 03:43:13 PM »
I hate to start a new thread when there could be one that already exists.  So I looked for a bassoon thread and found this one.

I am having to sell my contra. I am seventy-two with a disability. The contra is a big heavy instrument and I am having problems with the logistics. I can still play it but getting it to and from rehearsals and concerts is a extremely difficult for me. I have found a good home for her. A young player that I have loaned the horn to on several occasions. She calls my bassoon "Sacha". I have had the instrument for over thirty years and I have had a lot of fun playing it. Time to move on  :(

Very sad news for you, although there is certainly an upside to Sacha finding a loving home. I'm a big fan of the bassoon, one of my favorite instruments in the orchestra, not to mention some killer concerti from Vivaldi and the Classicists. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2019, 03:47:19 PM »

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully the gift will cement the bond of friendship with the young player.

Sometimes you will hear people say "one door closes another door opens." It's not that simple. One door closes, then you have to try a lot of doors until you find one that has been left unlocked.

Time to take up the oboe?
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
Sorry to hear it. Hopefully the gift will cement the bond of friendship with the young player.

Sometimes you will hear people say "one door closes another door opens." It's not that simple. One door closes, then you have to try a lot of doors until you find one that has been left unlocked.

Time to take up the oboe?

I have.