Author Topic: What does your collection look like and how do you organize it?  (Read 129612 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: What does you collection look like and how do you organize it?
« Reply #640 on: December 17, 2019, 02:25:04 AM »
I can't talk for CDs but for LPs it is practically always a sub-label, so Decca - Ace of Diamonds - Ace of Clubs - World Of, and so on.
I know for example Ansermet recorded for Decca and releases on all the sub-labels so relatively simple to locate the recording I am looking for. Also, if I want an Ansermet binge, or anyone else, it is convenient to have them all in the same place.
I like the idea of an Ansermet binge Lol. I also regularly buy CDs that I already own  ::)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 12:33:37 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #641 on: December 17, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »
I like the idea of an Ansermet binge Lol. I also regularly by CDs that I already own  ::)

;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline MusicTurner

« Reply #642 on: May 09, 2020, 04:33:56 AM »
My collection is organized alphabetically after composer's names and secondarily after genre.

So for instance under Beethoven there are these genres:
1. Piano concertos 2. Violin and double concertos. 3. Symphonies 4. String Quartets 5. Other chamber music. 6. Missa Solemnis  7. Solo piano music.

I have ca. 2000 cds in IKEA's "Gnedby" shelves. On top of the Gnedby shelves I have fixed a long wooden board so that I can pile up box-sets all the way to the ceiling.

A much delayed "very nice" !

Offline Fëanor

• Veteran member
  • Shostie fan
Re: What does your collection look like and how do you organize it?
« Reply #643 on: May 26, 2020, 05:57:47 AM »
This how my collection is organized in practice ...

My entire collection is digitized to lossless FLAC or ALAC format and store (mainly) by performer and album on my Synology NAS where it can be accessed by any device with network access.

However the OS folder organization is fairly irrelevant because I methodically add or correct metadata which is what I use to find what I want via my Foobar2000 music player.

Offline accmacmus

« Reply #644 on: May 27, 2020, 11:04:13 PM »
A mess. I started with the usual «by period» which is fine when you have few recordings. The more the collection grows and the more I feel I should have done that alphabetically + some sort of paper index «by period».

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #645 on: May 28, 2020, 01:03:39 AM »
A mess. I started with the usual «by period» which is fine when you have few recordings. The more the collection grows and the more I feel I should have done that alphabetically + some sort of paper index «by period».

That's the way to go IMO.  :)

I started out alphabetically by composer + instrunental & vocal recitals by performer.
After the collection grew and I developed a taste for Early Music & Baroque, I subdivided into periods, and the latter categories also on region (English, Franco-Flemish, Austro-German, Italian, etc.)

Q

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #646 on: May 28, 2020, 01:08:57 AM »
That's the way to go IMO.  :)

I started out alphabetically by composer + instrunental & vocal recitals by performer.
After the collection grew and I developed a taste for Early Music & Baroque, I subdivided into periods, and the latter categories also on region (English, Franco-Flemish, Austro-German, Italian, etc.)

Q

This is the nearest to my rather ramshackle dis-organisation. At first I just arranged my LPs chronologically, I always thought having them in alphabetical order pretty useless, even when I had far fewer discs than now.

Perversely, my downloads are in alphabetical order only - for the moment