Author Topic: The Hyper-Spectral Haven  (Read 1879 times)

Offline nathanb

The Hyper-Spectral Haven
« on: September 27, 2016, 06:37:48 PM »
I have held my tongue in regards to composers with no threads for quite some time, but come on now.

Iancu Dumitrescu (1944-)
Ana-Maria Avram (1961-)
The Hyperion Ensemble

And all associated efforts.

Discuss.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Re: The Hyper-Spectral Haven
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 06:57:12 PM »
Well, no tongue-holding needed: feel free to start threads on any of these (all new to me).

Or, discussion here is fine, too.

8)

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 07:36:10 PM »
I'm fairly sure I've heard something by Dumitrescu at some point when looking around for things in YouTube, but I have no clue what it was! :o

Offline GioCar

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 10:27:34 PM »
I think I've never heard anything by Dumitrescu or Avram. Any works you recommend?

Re The Hyperion Ensemble, the only ensemble I know with that name is the jazzy one playing tango music http://www.ensemblehyperion.com/
They are very good actually, but they have nothing to do with Spectralism...

Offline nathanb

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 04:52:21 AM »
I think I've never heard anything by Dumitrescu or Avram. Any works you recommend?

Re The Hyperion Ensemble, the only ensemble I know with that name is the jazzy one playing tango music http://www.ensemblehyperion.com/
They are very good actually, but they have nothing to do with Spectralism...

Any Dumitrescu for solo double bass(es) (or cello will suffice) is a good place to start. Medium III fits the bill. Origo will do. The things he does with bass harmonics are unbelievable. Some guy has mentioned loving his electronic music before. I want to say it was Meteors & Pulsars.

Avram is very similar, with perhaps a slightly different balance of spectral experimentation versus traditional musicality. Some works, off the top of my head, that I've always seemed to immediately connect with include: Zodiaque III, Orbit Of Eternal Grace, and Incantatio.

And obviously everybody loves string quartets, and both Dumitrescu and Avram have a handful of them.

And this is The Hyperion Ensemble in question http://www.spectralmusic.org/Hyperion/Welcome.html

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 05:06:42 AM »
I have held my tongue in regards to composers with no threads for quite some time, but come on now.

Iancu Dumitrescu (1944-)
Ana-Maria Avram (1961-)
The Hyperion Ensemble

And all associated efforts.

Discuss.

I have listened to much of their (Dumittrescu and Avram) work but remain unconvinced.  Something of a P.T. Barnum impression.

:(

Offline nathanb

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 03:41:32 PM »
I have listened to much of their (Dumittrescu and Avram) work but remain unconvinced.  Something of a P.T. Barnum impression.

:(

Do you generally enjoy spectralism?

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 03:56:55 PM »
Do you generally enjoy spectralism?

Yes.  I've listened to and like music by Grisey, Murail, Claude Vivier, Peter Eötvös, also composers who have incorporated aspects of spectralism in their work, e.g,  Georg Friedrich Haas and Jonathan Harvey. 

Offline nathanb

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 05:28:28 PM »
Yes.  I've listened to and like music by Grisey, Murail, Claude Vivier, Peter Eötvös, also composers who have incorporated aspects of spectralism in their work, e.g,  Georg Friedrich Haas and Jonathan Harvey.

Cool. Just checking. I tend to see this "hyper-spectral" movement as sort of comparable to, say, Milton Babbitt with serialism, Cage Variations with chance, etc. Just really pushing the idiom to it's extreme limits with generally less regard for musical elements that don't directly serve "spectralism".

Offline GioCar

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 10:13:20 PM »
Any Dumitrescu for solo double bass(es) (or cello will suffice) is a good place to start. Medium III fits the bill. Origo will do. The things he does with bass harmonics are unbelievable. Some guy has mentioned loving his electronic music before. I want to say it was Meteors & Pulsars.

Avram is very similar, with perhaps a slightly different balance of spectral experimentation versus traditional musicality. Some works, off the top of my head, that I've always seemed to immediately connect with include: Zodiaque III, Orbit Of Eternal Grace, and Incantatio.

And obviously everybody loves string quartets, and both Dumitrescu and Avram have a handful of them.

And this is The Hyperion Ensemble in question http://www.spectralmusic.org/Hyperion/Welcome.html

Nathan, thanks for your recommendations.
Looking for some commercially available recordings to listen to... I saw they have their own label - Edition Modern - having quite a niche distribution.

Offline nathanb

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 05:35:07 AM »
I've been listening to several works from both composers throughout the day and to be honest, I really like them. Iancu un particular has a really strong, dense, fullness to his style. Some of the sounds I've heard from them both are really mindblowing. I think I like them both more than Haas now!   :D

This chick asked me last night for an example of what I was listening to because I was feeling painfully pretentious trying to describe it at all. So I linked her a youtube performance of Gnosis.

I have so many regrets.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 06:12:12 AM »
This chick asked me last night for an example of what I was listening to because I was feeling painfully pretentious trying to describe it at all. So I linked her a youtube performance of Gnosis.

I have so many regrets.

It was the YouTube clips that turned me off to them.  If I just heard the music with out the arm waving, I might have had a different first impression.

;)

Offline nathanb

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 02:33:23 PM »
Is this girl romantically involved? Because if she would negatively judge you as a person over that, she isn't worth pursuing

Thankfully, I believe she's spoken for.