Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 678196 times)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy - “Tragédie, Comédie”
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #9060 on: December 08, 2018, 09:40:34 AM »

I have this strong feeling that Bergounioux is the real McCoy, I mean genuinely poetic and original with important things to say. But it’s very difficult for me to read, I’m being challenged in a conceptual and literary way, and I’m really posting this to see if anyone here has thought about the book, who might have some ideas about it.
I must confess I had never heard of Bergounioux.  : :-[. Some information on him on the web looks interesting. Thanks for bringing him to my attention.

THREAD DUTY:

After finishing Pierre Assouline’s biography of legendary art dealer D.H. Kahnweiler (which was illuminating and fun to read), embarking on Michel Leiris’s autobioraphical L’Age d’homme. So far, Leiris’s clinical and detached self-presentation appears strangely fascinating.

In Assouline’s book (from 1988), Leiris is still referred to as Kahnweiler’s brother-in-law. It turns out he was actually Kahnweiler wife’s son-in-law, as Leiris’s wife (the Louise Leiris who gave her name to the famed art gallery from the German occupation onwards) was a child Lucie Gordon had had out of wedlock years before meeting Kahnweiler (and presented to the world as her sister).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:43:55 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Auch deine Träne ward zum Segenstaue: du weinest - sieh! es lacht die Aue”.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
« Reply #9061 on: Today at 09:49:04 AM »
I'm not 100% certain Klingons actually get the concept of political correctness :-\.

An astute observation, as we in the Empire most assuredly do not indulge in the societal frailties of the human species.

Qa'pla,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #9062 on: Today at 02:51:13 PM »
Well, still reading a couple of books from my last posting - usually have 4-5 books going at once, both on my iPad and also as hard copies (still enjoy the feel and smell of a real book and them donate then to a local charity for their book sale) - at the moment:

How the Internet Happened - From Netscape to the iPhone (2018) by Brian McCullough - about a third done w/ a lot on the phenomenal early events in the mid to later 1990s which I remember well - for those interested in this history, a strong recommendation.

The Earth is Weeping (2016) by Peter Cozzens - a comprehensive history of the Indian wars for the American West and winner of several book awards - have as a paperback - I've been reading this history for decades so always a topic of interest to me - again, if this history excites you, then another recommendation.

Sword and Scimitar (2018) by Raymond Ibrahim - subtitled "Fourteen Centuries of War Between Islam and the West", yet another expansive coverage of many of the major conflicts between Islam and the European & Byzantine world, starting shortly after the death of Muhammad with the 'Battle of Yarmouk' in 636 CE - the final siege of Constantinople in 1453 and Vienna in 1683 were highlights for me.  Dave :)