Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 907143 times)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #16800 on: September 14, 2019, 12:56:49 PM »
Trump explains his distinctive orange hue: it's the lightbulbs

"Talking before an audience of Republican legislators in Baltimore on Thursday night, Trump gave a rambling speech in which he tackled criticism of his recent plans to weaken regulations on environmentally friendly bulbs.

“The lightbulb,” the president began. “People said: what’s with the lightbulb? I said: here’s the story. And I looked at it. The bulb that we’re being forced to use! No 1, to me, most importantly, the light’s no good. I always look orange. And so do you! The light is the worst.”

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #16801 on: September 14, 2019, 01:20:00 PM »
Trump uttered what many supporters consider blasphemy. Here’s why most will probably forgive him.

"President Trump has had trouble with a number of the Ten Commandments.

There’s the adultery. There’s the prohibition against giving false witness, for a man who has made more than 12,000 false or misleading claims during his presidency.

And then there’s this commandment: Thou shalt not take the Lord’s name in vain.

That’s the one the president violated again on Thursday night, when he joked about “goddamn windmills” while talking with House Republicans in Baltimore about energy policy.

For some of the president’s evangelical supporters, Trump’s occasional use of the word “goddamn” is a bridge too far, even for a president whose behavior they’ve grown accustomed to excusing as they fervently support his policies.

“I certainly do not condone taking the Lord’s name in vain. There is a whole commandment dedicated to prohibiting that,” said the Rev. Robert Jeffress, a Texas megachurch leader who is one of Trump’s most outspoken evangelical advisers and supporters. “I think it’s very offensive to use the Lord’s name in vain. I can take just about everything else, except that,” when it comes to off-color language.

Trump has been urged in the past to cease using this particular word. A state senator from West Virginia, Paul Hardesty, told Politico in August that he got calls from three constituents after one Trump rally alone. He wrote a letter to the White House: “Never utter those words again.”

At that rally, the president had told a North Carolina crowd about the Islamic State, “They’ll be hit so goddamn hard,” and had recalled warning a businessman, “If you don’t support me, you’re going to be so goddamn poor.”

This was the same Greenville rally at which Trump’s supporters chanted “send her back” about Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), a chant Democrats decried as racist. But it was the blasphemy that spurred some West Virginians to call their Trump-supporting state senator to ask him to do something about the president’s language."

(they forgot to mention the coveting and the stealing - and that he sees himself as god)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 01:27:39 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #16802 on: September 14, 2019, 02:57:13 PM »
The hypocrisy is monumental.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #16803 on: September 14, 2019, 03:07:38 PM »
He's probably got the not working on the Sabbath thing down solid, though.

Online JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #16804 on: September 14, 2019, 06:08:46 PM »
So evangelicals are upset about him breaking a commandment? The irony is that the commandment to not take the Name in vain has nothing to  do with cursewords.  Other verses in the Bible forbid cussing and obscenity in general terms, of course, but "d*mn" is as bad as "g*dd*mn".  The extra syllable does not increase its sinfulness. There is little to no evidence of what words the ancient Israelites used as equivalents to our obscenities, but references to the Divine Being don't seem to have played a part.

What this commandment does is ban oaths, vows and swearing ("I swear to  God it's true! I swear I'll pay you back next week") that are not needed. False oaths, meaning perjury, are forbidden, but so is a true oath that did not need to be made. So all Trump's broken promises can be categorized under this commandment, but his use of cusswords is not.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
So evangelicals are upset about him breaking a commandment? The irony is that the commandment to not take the Name in vain has nothing to  do with cursewords.  Other verses in the Bible forbid cussing and obscenity in general terms, of course, but "d*mn" is as bad as "g*dd*mn".  The extra syllable does not increase its sinfulness. There is little to no evidence of what words the ancient Israelites used as equivalents to our obscenities, but references to the Divine Being don't seem to have played a part.

What this commandment does is ban oaths, vows and swearing ("I swear to  God it's true! I swear I'll pay you back next week") that are not needed. False oaths, meaning perjury, are forbidden, but so is a true oath that did not need to be made. So all Trump's broken promises can be categorized under this commandment, but his use of cusswords is not.

Verily.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
Indeed, when he uses cuss words, he is being truest to himself....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
Vanity fair:

IVANKA TRUMP, UNIRONICALLY: I GOT MY MORAL COMPASS FROM MY DAD
This is an actual thing the first daughter said, out loud, in front of people.

"Like many of the most terrible people in history, Donald Trump should never have been allowed to reproduce. Nevertheless, he has famously spawned numerous children, each of whom has inherited some of his specific traits. Don Jr. got his dad’s IQ. Eric got his head for numbers. Tiffany got use of his last name. Barron got tacit acknowledgement that they’re related. And what gift did he bestow upon Ivanka? The answer may surprise you:

At a mid-August fundraiser in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Ivanka Trump was asked to name the personality traits she inherited most from her parents. Without much of a pause, Trump told the crowd of roughly 120 high-end donors that her mother gave her an example of how to be a powerful, successful woman. And her father? He passed onto her his moral compass, she said, according to two event attendees."

(princess...what your mother taught you was The Stockholm Syndrome)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Not Trump himself, but one of his boys: Kavanaugh accused of more unwanted sexual contact by former classmate: report

Maybe tough guy Dems can try to impeach Kavanaugh once they retake the Senate.  Hopeful mush-brained lefties ought to read up on ol' Sammy boy first.  Ah, fuck it, go get him.

This will certainly offer fresh opportunity for virtue signaling.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline BasilValentine

Not Trump himself, but one of his boys: Kavanaugh accused of more unwanted sexual contact by former classmate: report

Maybe tough guy Dems can try to impeach Kavanaugh once they retake the Senate.  Hopeful mush-brained lefties ought to read up on ol' Sammy boy first.  Ah, fuck it, go get him.

This will certainly offer fresh opportunity for virtue signaling.

Yeah, virtue signalers! As if anyone could really be outraged about serial sexual assault. Who are they kidding? I mean we've all done it, right?  ::)

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
Virtue signaling works nicely when all you care about is your own (political) career.  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page