Author Topic: Box Blather  (Read 90853 times)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Bach 333 anniversary from Universal Music
« Reply #880 on: October 09, 2018, 10:30:18 PM »
plus 3 hours of NEW RECORDINGS by Justin Taylor
This is intersting
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Ras

Re: Bach 333 anniversary from Universal Music
« Reply #881 on: October 10, 2018, 02:57:35 AM »
This is intersting

You need the damn box, Mandryka!
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Offline Ras

Re: Box Blather
« Reply #882 on: October 10, 2018, 02:59:44 AM »
Nej, det er ikke et problem.

So everybody here speaks Danish??  ::)
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #883 on: October 10, 2018, 03:18:00 AM »
So everybody here speaks Danish??  ::)

Just me and the Danes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #884 on: October 10, 2018, 05:51:29 AM »
Just me and the Danes.
Nej da, oss fjeldaber også!

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #885 on: November 26, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »
I think it might be a good idea to document some notes on the Big Boxes to force myself to listen more...and also to aid my aging brain in remembering what is worth hearing again...

SALONEN/SONY

Here's what I've heard so far:

1. CD Bach-Transkriptionen - Stokowski: Toccata & Fuge BWV 565; Elgar: Fantasie & Fuge BWV 537; Webern: Ricercare aus "Das musikalische Opfer" BWV 1079; Schönberg: Präludium & Fuge BWV 552; Mahler: Suite für Orgel, Cembalo & Orchester nach den Orchestersuiten Nr. 2 & 3. Gross. I hated every minute of this. To be fair, I think I skipped a couple, but the Stokowski and Elgar are just nauseating. Not my thing at all. Never again.

2. CD Bartok: Konzert für Orchester; Musik für Saiteninstrumente, Schlagzeug, Celesta. Only listened to the Concerto here. Very dry, droll, technically correct but not much fun.

7. CD Debussy: Images pour Orchestre Nr. 1-3; La Mer; Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune. This disc is really quite wonderful. Excellent all the way through.

9. CD Grieg: Peer Gynt op. 23 (Auszüge). Terrific. Really the only complaint could be that Solveig's Song is here in both the instrumental, solo, and a cappella reprise versions, which is pretty repetitive. But Barbara Hendricks kills it and the orchestra, unsurprisingly, plays this piece to the hilt. I love having a version that cuts out all the scenes of dudes talking. The Naxos version has the divine Inger Dam-Jensen and a real Hardanger fiddler playing a real folk fiddle, but it also has a whole bunch of boring bits where Norwegian dudes just blab and blab. (EDIT: It has come to my attention that Inger Dam-Jensen is not in the complete Peer Gynt on Naxos - she sings Solveig's songs on a separate "orchestral songs" CD coupled with the Peer Gynt concert suites.)

10. CD Haydn: Symphonien Nr. 22, 78, 82. I had low expectations for this but it's really wonderful. Salonen has a great ear for Haydn's sense of humor, especially. Would it be too late to ask him to record a few more of the symphonies? Especially Il distratto?

13. CD Hindemith: Symphonie "Mathis der Maler"; Die vier Temperamente für Klavier & Streichorchester; Symphonische Metamorphosen. I didn't enjoy the Four Temperaments but the other two pieces are really powerfully, boldly played and in spectacular sound.

14. CD Larsson: Gott in Verkleidung op. 24; Violinkonzert op. 42; Pastoral-Suite op. 19. God in Disguise is a super cool late romantic hidden gem! Loved the voyage of discovery that work is, with some really luminous passages that make me want to learn more about Lars-Erik. The Violin Concerto is drier, more modern, and more academic in a way that I don't much enjoy.

32. CD Nielsen: Symphonie Nr. 1; Petite Suite für Streicher op. 1. Background music while writing a few weekends ago. Seemed plenty good.

36. CD Nielsen: Symphonie Nr. 5; Tänze aus Maskerade. Maskarade isn't as wild and crazy as some readings and Symphony No. 5 comes across quite grim and dry.

40. CD Prokofieff: Violinkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2; Strawinsky: Violinkonzert D-Dur. Only listened to Prok No. 2 but it's with Cho-Liang Lin so of course it is fabulous.

44. CD Salonen: LA Variations; 5 Images after Sappho; Giro; Mania für Cello & Orchester; Gambit. I like some of the pieces more than others (my fave is probably Gambit), but this is of course a must-have.

46. CD Schostakowitsch: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2; Klavierquintett op. 57. With Yefim Bronfman. Excellent and essential.

48. CD Sibelius: Lemminkäinen-Legenden op. 22 Nr. 1-4; En Saga op. 9. Generally would rather spin the Mikko Franck disc with this program.

51. CD Strauss: Duett-Concertino für Klarinette & Fagott; Metamorphosen; Capriccio-Prelude. Excellent Richard Strauss album - another big surprise for me. Didn't realize Salonen had such a good Metamorphosen, but he and the Stockholm CO (see also: CD 10/Haydn) are intensely expressive.

60. CD Jolivet: Trompetenkonzert Nr. 2; Concertino für Trompete, Streicher & Klavier; Tomasi: Trompetenkonzert. Super fun. Between the Debussy and this, there should be more Salonen-Conducts-French.

61. CD A Nordic Festival - Alfven; Sibelius; Grieg; Leifs; Nielsen; Järnefelt. Entirely lovely and a charming encore. Well, okay, it was actually the first disc I popped in the player. But it's a nice little cherry on top of the box.

P.S. Compared to the usual snail's pace with which I get through Big Boxes, 16 CDs in just under 3 months feels like a really good effort!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:05:59 PM by Brian »

Offline JBS

• If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #886 on: November 26, 2018, 05:41:49 PM »
Oh dear! I love that Elgar transcription.
But I do have a soft spot for those "so wrong they are great" sort of things.

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #887 on: November 26, 2018, 06:11:45 PM »
44. CD Salonen: LA Variations; 5 Images after Sappho; Giro; Mania für Cello & Orchester; Gambit. I like some of the pieces more than others (my fave is probably Gambit), but this is of course a must-have.

Why is it of course a must-have?

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #888 on: November 27, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
Why is it of course a must-have?
Well, I guess I should clarify that it is a big deal for fans of contemporary music. A lot of the program is both "important" and actually good to hear. (Our own Senta is such a big fan of the LA Variations that once when she gave me a ride someplace she put it on blast in the car to make me listen...)

Personally my favorite Salonen compositions are on this DG CD -

But I do have a soft spot for those "so wrong they are great" sort of things.
For some reason I have a way bigger fondness for "so wrong it's great" in literature and movies than in music.

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #889 on: November 27, 2018, 03:09:34 PM »
Well, I guess I should clarify that it is a big deal for fans of contemporary music. A lot of the program is both "important" and actually good to hear. (Our own Senta is such a big fan of the LA Variations that once when she gave me a ride someplace she put it on blast in the car to make me listen...)

Personally my favorite Salonen compositions are on this DG CD -

For some reason I have a way bigger fondness for "so wrong it's great" in literature and movies than in music.

I have #44, and I think I even remember liking it. I also have your favorite DGG disc. I should listen to them again.
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #890 on: November 27, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »
SALONEN/SONY

Thanks for the report. 

I don't have much Salonen: some Lutoslawski (he's really good here), some Messiaen (ditto), and a Stravinsky disc (Pulcinella and the Octet, excellent).  I'm also fond of a pre-Sony disc of Berwald's Symphonies 3 & 4, which was my first encounter with these works.  I have to give that Haydn disc a listen.

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #891 on: November 27, 2018, 09:52:03 PM »
Well, I guess I should clarify that it is a big deal for fans of contemporary music. A lot of the program is both "important" and actually good to hear.

Thanks for the clarification. I heard the VC on the radio one time, and didn’t have the urge to go buy it. But I’m listening to some of the Sony disc on spotify.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #892 on: February 18, 2019, 06:58:47 AM »

This arrived last week and I've already gotten a head start with Barenboim's Liszt - first the CD with all the slow romantic stuff (Consolations, Liebesträume, Sonetti del Petrarca), and this morning on the drive to work I popped in the 23-minute "album" of the Dante Sonata and Rigoletto paraphrase. The romantic album is excellent, with Petrarca sonnets that are nearly as achingly poetic as Julian Gorus. It's a sleepy disc overall in terms of tempo/volume, just because of the works chosen, but it's wonderfully played and was perfect for a lazy Sunday morning. There are two live-in-concert "encores" added as bonuses, a repeat of the famous Consolation and a Valse oubliée.

The Dante Sonata is fast and precise, but Barenboim at the loudest, most Inferno-ish passages holds back a little bit, probably to show us that he is an artist rather than a banger of pianos. There's no shame in it, Daniel! It's the Dante Sonata! Still, there's overall a good bit to enjoy, and the Verdi paraphrase has even more goodness. This box and I will probably get along just fine - especially at $32 shipped. By the way, the set ships (at least from Amazon.de) inside another form-fitting cardboard box with a bar code, presumably to prevent damage to the box's lid, which protrudes just a little bit for grabbing with your fingers.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #893 on: February 18, 2019, 07:02:57 AM »
...and this morning on the drive to work I popped in the 23-minute "album" of the Dante Sonata and Rigoletto paraphrase.

That disc used to look like this:

The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #894 on: February 18, 2019, 07:09:02 AM »
Wait...what happened to the sonata? (I see the answer to my question is available behind a paywall at ClassicsToday...but I am on the wrong side of the wall.)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #895 on: February 18, 2019, 07:11:44 AM »
Wait...what happened to the sonata? (I see the answer to my question is available behind a paywall at ClassicsToday...but I am on the wrong side of the wall.)

Barenboim asked that it not be included.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #896 on: February 18, 2019, 07:30:39 AM »

Barenboim asked that it not be included.
Almost makes me curious to hear it...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/COV1W2Nh3Eo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/COV1W2Nh3Eo</a>
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr