Author Topic: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!  (Read 1520693 times)

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
Re: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!
« Reply #25500 on: January 10, 2019, 05:08:45 PM »
A great album that.

Indeed! Took awhile for it to click for me, but when it did, it clicked permanently.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #25501 on: January 10, 2019, 05:31:18 PM »
Indeed! Took awhile for it to click for me, but when it did, it clicked permanently.

I've always liked it but haven't listened to it in a while.  But I recently bought this book:

And decided to listen again.  From the mono box

Really enjoyed it.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:47:36 PM by San Antone »

Offline -abe-

• Veteran member
« Reply #25502 on: January 10, 2019, 06:47:09 PM »
The Rolling Stones self-titled album...their first...

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #25503 on: January 10, 2019, 08:14:45 PM »
I've always liked it but haven't listened to it in a while.  But I recently bought this book:

And decided to listen again.  From the mono box

Really enjoyed it.

If you want to dig deeper, this set is awesome! It covers outtakes, alternate versions of songs from Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #25504 on: January 11, 2019, 04:45:46 PM »

Jimmy and Mama Yancey - Pure Blues (1958)

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #25505 on: January 11, 2019, 05:07:04 PM »
If you want to dig deeper, this set is awesome! It covers outtakes, alternate versions of songs from Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde.

I haven't bought the Deluxe 6CD box but have been streaming the 2CD "Best of" collection.  Apparently there was a 19CD box on the Dylan website the "Collectors Edition" which included every snippet of tape.  Not sure if that is available anymore.

While I am interested in some of this material, it is also disappointing to listen to the mangled versions of some of the songs (Visions of Johanna) from the NYC sessions. 

However, the book is a good read and it is nice to be able to hear some of the sessions as the music developed.

I am of two minds about these bootlegs.  Most offer interesting material and some huge improvements over the albums as released, e.g. Another Portrait.  But in the case of Blond on Blonde, the final versions I think are vastly superior to anything that was done in NYC.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:11:58 PM by San Antone »

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #25506 on: January 11, 2019, 08:33:56 PM »
I haven't bought the Deluxe 6CD box but have been streaming the 2CD "Best of" collection.  Apparently there was a 19CD box on the Dylan website the "Collectors Edition" which included every snippet of tape.  Not sure if that is available anymore.

I am not sure either, but I have heard the 19CD set and think that they did a superb job of whittling the best of it down to 6CDs.

While I am interested in some of this material, it is also disappointing to listen to the mangled versions of some of the songs (Visions of Johanna) from the NYC sessions. 

However, the book is a good read and it is nice to be able to hear some of the sessions as the music developed.

I am of two minds about these bootlegs.  Most offer interesting material and some huge improvements over the albums as released, e.g. Another Portrait.  But in the case of Blond on Blonde, the final versions I think are vastly superior to anything that was done in NYC.

In many cases I agree, but I think in a number of other cases, the versions in the 6CD set are as good as or almost as good as the one on the original album. This version, for example, blows me away every time I hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG8Hi-fpyLI

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #25507 on: January 12, 2019, 12:44:20 AM »
I am not sure either, but I have heard the 19CD set and think that they did a superb job of whittling the best of it down to 6CDs.

In many cases I agree, but I think in a number of other cases, the versions in the 6CD set are as good as or almost as good as the one on the original album. This version, for example, blows me away every time I hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG8Hi-fpyLI

Since you enjoy spending other GMGers money, you convinced me.  I admit I was trying to convince myself not to get the 6CD, all the while knowing I'd probably buy it.  Now I'm told it is out of stock.  We'll see how long it takes.

Thanks for your comments.

;)

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #25508 on: January 12, 2019, 02:12:07 PM »
Since you enjoy spending other GMGers money, you convinced me.  I admit I was trying to convince myself not to get the 6CD, all the while knowing I'd probably buy it.  Now I'm told it is out of stock.  We'll see how long it takes.

Thanks for your comments.

;)

Glad to hear it! I have most of the volumes in the Dylan Bootleg series and that one is among my favorites.  8) Hope yours arrives soon! 

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #25509 on: January 12, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »

v/a - Voodoo Drums In Hi-Fi (1958)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #25510 on: January 15, 2019, 09:24:48 AM »
Donovan: 7-Tease

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #25511 on: January 15, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
Thoroughly enjoying this introduction/compilation, spanning his career with Housemartins, Beautiful South, solo songs, etc..

Stunning LP cover to boot, worthy of a wall frame methinks  8)

Olivier

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #25512 on: January 15, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »
A couple of great Doc Watson compilations:

Offline -abe-

• Veteran member
« Reply #25513 on: Today at 09:04:22 PM »