Author Topic: WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!  (Read 94171 times)

Online Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
Re: WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!
« Reply #1000 on: November 22, 2016, 11:51:05 AM »
Beaujolais proper isn't available here either.
Sarge

A mere four days later, and cru Beaujolais shows up at my local Aldi  ;D  Not a great example of Saint-Amour but very enjoyable and went well with a one-pot supper of zucchini, red bell peppers, onions and meatballs in a tomato sauce.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1001 on: November 22, 2016, 12:25:23 PM »
Just got a case of the 2015 Gelber Muskateller from Peter Uhler's wines, straight out of Vienna (incidentally also the place where better half and I shall celebrate wedding; sorry Arabella :-)), and three of his 2015 Riesling and his 2014 Gruener Veltliner Reisenberg "Jubilee Edition". The latter for storing, the former for drinking/storage... as the mood takes me. The GM is particularly fine (as was the sensational 2014 Gemischter Satz), because it was able to sit on the vines forever, without having attained too much sugar. That way it became very mineral-y, rather than a fruit-bomb... and very complex. Another case of 2015 Gemischter Satz is for greeting guests with, at the apartment that I take care of via AirBnB... to make them feel extra lucky and appreciated.

Gelber Muskateller Reisenberg 2015
12,5°Alk. 2,5g Restzucker, 6,5g Säure

Der steinig-steile Weingarten am Grinzinger Reisenberg verleiht dieser Aromasorte eine spannende, individuelle Note. So bleiben am Gaumen der eindringliche Ausdruck von Holunderblüte, Litschi auch etwas Eibisch als auch der kreidig, und  fast prickelnde Nachhall der dort vorherrschenden Bodenstruktur lange anhaltend. (Biowein AT-BIO-301) 
STERN actually reported on him, a few years back. http://www.stern.de/reise/wein-aus-oesterreich-wiener-weinwunder-3435170.html

Riesling Reisenberg 2015
13,1° Alk.  15,7g Restzucker, 7,8 Säure

Der Reisenberg und der Riesling sind ein perfektes Gespann. Die eindringliche Mineralität von Granit , Quarz und etwas Schiefer, wie auch die kühlen Nächte des Wienerwaldes prägen seine zarten Reize! Weingartenpfirsich, Zitrus, rote Beeren, hohes Entwicklungsptential. (Biowein AT-BIO-301)

Grüner Veltliner Reisenberg 2014, "Der Jubilar" Reserve"
13,5° Alk. 6,3g Restzucker, 6,7g Säure

Dieser Weingarten wurde 1960 (!) gepflanzt; tief verwurzelt, zieht er alle notwendigen Ingredienzien aus dem Reisenberg. Wenig Ertrag, konzentrierte Kraft. Teilbarrique: Heuer wurde 1/3 des Weines im Akazienbarrique ausgebaut. Gelbfruchtige Anklänge, schöne Röstaromen, weich und vielschichtig, lang! (Biowein AT-BIO-301)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1002 on: November 22, 2016, 12:28:03 PM »
In NYC this past spring at a great restaurant (Bâtard) I had a beautiful, still-young '07 Nicole Chanrion Domaine de la Voûte-des-Crozes Côte-de-Brouilly - another KL import cru Beaujolais.
Just found the '06 of this at my local liquor store! Only question is, should I buy ALL of their stock, or let someone else try it?

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1003 on: November 22, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »
Just found the '06 of this at my local liquor store! Only question is, should I buy ALL of their stock, or let someone else try it?

By buying all, you give the proprietor a clear signal that he should now or in the future stock more of this wine, thereby giving OTHERS a greater (!) chance to get it. Buying only part of it would be very selfish, indeed.

Online Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #1004 on: November 22, 2016, 01:05:13 PM »
Vienna (incidentally also the place where better half and I shall celebrate wedding; sorry Arabella :-)

;D :D ;D   

...and congratulations on the upcoming wedding.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!
« Reply #1005 on: November 22, 2016, 01:12:21 PM »
Congratulations, Jens!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #1006 on: November 25, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »
Knoll Kreutles Gruner Veltliner Smaragd 2008:

A mature and peppery Gruner Veltiner, intense and fruity but still long and minerally.

My only bottle from Knoll in the cellar (a legend for his Gruner Veltliners); though happily I have fine stashes of Gobelsburg, Brundlmayer, Prager, Hirtzberger and Nikolaihof on the shelves!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 12:33:32 PM by The new erato »

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
  • Thanks for the great news, Brian!
« Reply #1007 on: November 26, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »
Had this with the 28 pound bird my mom cooked for the family.  It was a hit.  Huzzah!

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #1008 on: November 26, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »
No pix of the quail dinner, but I will muster pix of the wine we had:

(are the pictures showing?)

The GF of the French friend who brought the 2007 Château Grand Seuil Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence joked that he's got a spray to make wine labels look like the bottle is ancient. :-)

The Clos de los Siete is an excellent Argentinian Malbec (Cuvée?) that I like and try to pick up for storing whenever I can find bottles at a good price.

To the great Parsifal Poll This Way!

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1009 on: December 13, 2016, 07:58:16 PM »
My spring order from Bedrock Wine Co. - a California boutique winery specializing in old-style (ie not fruit bomb) zinfandel and "Heritage Wines" of mixed-grape vineyards - got delayed until fall due to Texas' hot weather, and my fall order got lumped in with it, so today I received...18 bottles! Yikes!

From '13 Alder Springs V'yard syrah to '16 "nouveau" (a purposely light and Beaujolais-evoking blend of zinfandel & cinsault), I will certainly not go thirsty any time soon.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #1010 on: December 18, 2016, 01:30:18 AM »
Another night of some good wine - and some disappointments.

Among the disappointments:

An oxydized Dauvissat Chablis Les Clos 2000
A distinctly odd Leon Beyer Riesling Vendange Tardive 1995
And biggest heartbreak of all a corked Allemand Cornas Reynard 2000! I consider Thierry Allemand perhaps the best and most interesting winemaker in the Rhone, and his wines are very rare.

Among the succesess:

A Duplessis Chablis Fourchaume 2000, fresh like a daisy and minerally and cleansing.
A fine Meursault-Blagny 2007 from Matrot. Superb acids with some underlying yellow fruit.
Two JJ Prums, a Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spætlese 1999, fresh and gracious as a ballet dancer, and a WS Auslese 2004, young and sweet, both brought out for the cheeses.

For the main meat course:

An incredibly fine Ch Talbot 89, sweet and succulent, perhaps the best Talbot I've had
A bruiser of a Grand-Puy-Lacoste 88, some dusty tannins characteristic of the vintage, a brute.
BTW; all wines were served blind and I guessed the vintage of both these, and also the appelation (St Julien) of the Talbot. But the Grand-Puy-Lacoste had more of a St Estephe character.

A sweet and elegant Barolo Monprivato 2001 from Giacome Mascarello, quite burgundian.
A Vajra Barolo Bricco Viole 96 hastily brought up by the host to substitute for the Allemand., should have been decanted for a day (like my Monprivato had been)
A slightly pruney and big Barolo Vigna Rionda 98 from Massolino, I have a few in my cellar, no haste
A very fine Pommard Rugiens 2002 from Jadot (not mine, but I have a few of this as well), pretty Pinot primary.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:48:26 AM by The new erato »

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #1011 on: December 18, 2016, 04:51:03 AM »
I've side-stepped to Rust on Lake Neusiedel, which is of course famous for its sweet wines, and found a vintner very much to my liking in Tremmel. http://www.weinbau-tremmel.at/

Got a few Ausbruch and Auslese varieties, including a terrific Rosé Auslese Merlot, Ruster Ausbruch 2013 (a game-changer for Ausbruch, as far as I care; very drinkable... not just sippable), and a 2006 Blaufraenkisch Auslese. Also a few reds and whites which, however, will have to undergo another round of tasting with friends to determine whether or not to stock.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #1012 on: December 30, 2016, 05:02:03 AM »
I've been lucky enough to get my hands upon some of the relatively scarce alottments of Døænnhoff GGs in the 2015 vintage.

So far I've received 12 bottles of the Felsenberg GG and 6 bottles of the Hermannshøhle GG. I'm not keeping them all for myself, they will be shared with wineloving friends eager for Dønnhoff 2015s, but I've kept 3 of each for myself.

Hope to get some of the remaning vineyards as well, particularly the Dellchen.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #1013 on: January 08, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »
Some good wines last night, this Bertheau Bonnes Mares 2006 was perhaps the star of the show, silky, powerful and earthy at the same time:

Otherwise a Colomier Hermitage 2004 and a Selvapiana Bucherciale Chianti Classico 2004.

Two fine Rheingaus amongst the whites, a Weill Græfenberg 2007 and a Breuer Sclossberg 2005, both very representative of the vintages, the 2005 richer and fuller, the 2007 very linear and finely wound. A Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Brand 2001 was suprisingly over the top.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK