Author Topic: Speakers for Computer  (Read 7864 times)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
Re: Speakers for Computer
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 05:04:30 PM »

Since this is for your computer and not your main stereo I wouldn't pay more for the amp unless you want a receiver with digital input. That would be worth paying more for. NAD does make a more powerful integrated (Nad C326BEE 50w) if you need to play louder. I just don't see it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.0 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.0.3

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Papageno

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 06:17:58 PM »
NAD C315BEE 40W - for almost half the price of the C326BEE?

So NAD is better than Cambridge Audio?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:20:11 PM by Papageno »

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 08:09:47 PM »

It depends on how much power you need for desktop speakers. Are you going to play them loud? If not 25w just might be enough.

So NAD is better than Cambridge Audio?

They're both good. Have you decided that you don't need digital out from your computer because the sound can't be improved on? My experience is that computer sound is very often seriously flawed and digital output OTOH is as good as any source once it's properly set up. But if you really think your computer is the exception than go ahead and get one of these amps (the 40w NAD looks good). The brand isn't important once you've filtered out the unsuitable ones.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.0 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.0.3

Offline Tomo

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »
Well, this thread had to get me going and thinking about new speakers for my computer.  I've been to many local guitar shops these last few days listening to brands like M-Audio and Alesis.  Some like, M-Audio were too bright for my tastes and I felt I would get listening fatigue after a short while which isn't the purpose.  The only Alesis I heard were the low priced ones that really didn't let me know how the better models might sound.  Then, I found many complaints about the design of the model I was considering, the M1 Active 620, that led to problems with internal circuitry giving out due to heat.

So, now I felt stuck, wanting new powered and musical speakers for my computer.  Finally, I ended up purchasing online speakers I haven't even heard, Audioengine A5's.  I did this based on what seemed to be universal acclaim for the product.  They're relatively inexpensive compared to the others and there is a thirty day return policy.  

I'll let you know if I like them.  I want darker sounding speakers to avoid fatigue and, to me, sound less digitalized.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:11:01 PM by Tomo »

MN Dave

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2010, 06:03:47 AM »
I do all my listening on an iPod or at computer speakers. It's just the way it is. At least I don't have to worry about superior sound.  ;D

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2017, 04:11:46 PM »
Wow, hard to believe this thread is 7 years old.

Anyway, my old Harmon Kardon computer speakers died--well, at least one of them did, so I'm only getting sound out of one channel. Yes, I checked my settings, rebooted, all that. There is also a crackling sound in the dead one.

Time for something new. I think the Audioengine A2+ look like really hot stuff. http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A2-plus-Powered-Desktop-Speakers

However, I do very little serious listening at the computer--mostly just streaming KCSM ("The Bay Area's Jazz Station!") and such. I do most serious listening through my Sennheisers and/or the Vandersteen speakers in the other room. Hence, I am on the fence about whether it is worth spending $250 for this. I think I'd be happier in the $100 range. Any suggestions? (I prefer not to deal with a separate "subwoofer")
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »
However, I do very little serious listening at the computer--mostly just streaming KCSM ("The Bay Area's Jazz Station!") and such. I do most serious listening through my Sennheisers and/or the Vandersteen speakers in the other room. Hence, I am on the fence about whether it is worth spending $250 for this. I think I'd be happier in the $100 range. Any suggestions? (I prefer not to deal with a separate "subwoofer")

Audioengine aside, I've never personally heard any speakers marketed as computer speakers that sound worthwhile.  The Audioengine is at least reasonably good.  At the same price, I'd be more tempted to try some Emotiva powered speakers.  They have a ribbon tweeter and a more powerful class AB amp (50 Wpc vs Audioengine's 15).  If $250 is too much to envision, headphones may be the better option.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
Also, if you have an amp you can use, there's Philharmonic Audio's Affordable Accuracy Monitor for $210.  I have not heard them, but they are a modified Parts Express kit with a Dennis Murphy designed crossover.  I can vouch for Mr Murphy's crossover designs, having four pairs of speakers with crossovers he designed.

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »
Interesting. What speakers do you have with his crossovers?

I may bite the bullet and get the A2+. I am likely to buy their top-of-the-line powered speaker, the HD6, for another room soon anyway. I just think there has to be something decent in the 100$ price range--not "high end/audiophile", but a notch or two above "crap".

EDIT: The Emotiva 4S indeed looks good--anyone compare them to the Audioengine A2+?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:12:53 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2017, 06:43:44 AM »
Wow, hard to believe this thread is 7 years old.

Anyway, my old Harmon Kardon computer speakers died--well, at least one of them did, so I'm only getting sound out of one channel. Yes, I checked my settings, rebooted, all that. There is also a crackling sound in the dead one.

Time for something new. I think the Audioengine A2+ look like really hot stuff. http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A2-plus-Powered-Desktop-Speakers

Computer speaker sound is overwhelmingly functional v. aesthetic. It might not be that way, but for you it is or you wouldn't muse about being happier spending $100.

This is what I use these days, now $29. When I need to, I whip out my Sennheiser's for the serious stuff.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2017, 07:03:16 AM »
Interesting. What speakers do you have with his crossovers?

Salk Sound SongTowers, Supercharged SongTowers, and Veracity STs (designed at my request), and a one-of-a-kind pair of modified ACI Sapphire III monitors where he redesigned the crossover and popped in a new tweeter.

Emotivas are primarily internet sold, so I've not heard them.  The 5 inch driver model has received some good reviews, and I suspect the basic design approach works well.  Online reviews of Emotiva products, mostly electronics, have generally been very good, and they fall into the big bang for the buck category.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »
I guess they are similar to the ones you are looking at but I have been quite happy with smallish active "monitors" as desktop speakers for a laptop.  I think that the ones I have used for almost 10 years or so (not always in use) probably were the predecessor of the model linked below. I think I paid around or a little less than EUR 200 (around 2007). In any case, I'd rather pay around $250 and be happy with them for years than $100 and not happy with the sound.

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/aktiv05/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:39:20 AM by Jo498 »
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2017, 08:32:01 AM »
I did make a substantial investment a year ago in Neuman KH 120 A monitor speakers for my home office.  They are amplified so I just feed them with the DAC output.
One of the advantage is that they are optimized for nearfield acoustics which is appropriate for my small office study room where my computer sits.
Except for the piano where my main system is definitively superior, these speakers are amazing considering their small size. And they have bass (50-20 kHz)

A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK