Selected Music Magazine Subscriptions - Click to see details on Amazon. All sales from these links support your forum.

Author Topic: Forum members who have actually met face-to-face  (Read 42963 times)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Forum members who have actually met face-to-face
« Reply #640 on: November 24, 2011, 10:19:06 AM »
It's official: Cato and I have met, and more than once!

Yes!  Karl is somewhat taller than I thought.  For some reason, I had pictured him around 5' 8" or so, but he is closer to 6' even.  (I am 6' 3", but will probably start shrinking as age 70 approaches.  I intend on resisting that!  (Shrinking, that is!  Resisting the onslaught of 70 is futile!) )

"You just killed a helicopter...WITH A CAR!!!"

- Justin Long to Bruce Willis in the incredible Live Free or DIE HARD

Offline Toccata&Fugue

« Reply #641 on: November 24, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »
I've met David Ross...a very nice person. (And his son is a very fine classical guitarist.)

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #642 on: November 25, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »
I've met David Ross...a very nice person. (And his son is a very fine classical guitarist.)

There's a couple of folks I must make a point of meeting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

« Reply #643 on: November 25, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
There's a couple of folks I must make a point of meeting.

---------->ChamberNut

8)

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #644 on: November 25, 2011, 10:29:15 AM »
Aye!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #645 on: November 25, 2011, 11:08:50 AM »
Applause in between and even during movements has become endemic throught the world, including New York, London, Paris and Berlin.

This is your own experience, in these places?

I havenever heard applause during the music, and maybe once or twice the inevitable applause after the scherzo in Tchaikovsky 6, but that's all.

I've also noted people who come to Concert Halls to do as others do in museums, i.e., harass music lovers (as they harass art lovers in the Museums), not enjoy the music:

in what way do people go to museums to harass art lovers?
[/quote]

Online EigenUser

• Veteran member
    Bartok, Ligeti, Ravel, Gershwin, Debussy, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Feldman, Messiaen, Haydn, Ockeghem, Adès, Mahler, Ohana, Webern, Boulez, Varese, Beethoven, Berg, Scriabin, Scarlatti, Takemitsu
« Reply #646 on: January 10, 2016, 11:41:35 AM »
So far I've met Bruce (a few times) and sforzando (in the Juilliard Music Store on the way to the Ligeti concert).

Brian -- it turns out that we'll be meeting at Mahler 6 w/NYPhil next month! Bruce mentioned to me that you'll be traveling for the Saturday performance which is the one my friend and I were planning on going to. See you there!
"The audience expected the ocean. Something big, something colossal, but they were served instead some agitated water in a saucer."
-Critic Louis Schneider on Debussy's "La Mer"

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #647 on: January 11, 2016, 12:50:59 PM »
So far I've met Bruce (a few times) and sforzando (in the Juilliard Music Store on the way to the Ligeti concert).

Brian -- it turns out that we'll be meeting at Mahler 6 w/NYPhil next month! Bruce mentioned to me that you'll be traveling for the Saturday performance which is the one my friend and I were planning on going to. See you there!

Oddly enough, I distinctly remember meeting EigenUser and Bruce in the Juilliard store on the way to the Messiaen-Ligeti-George Benjamin concert too. It was a completely accidental unplanned encounter, as I had time to kill, stopped in the store, and EU was looking through all the overpriced scores finding something to buy.

Looking back on my many years (perhaps 20 at this point) of posting to classical music boards, I have somehow managed to meet many users face-to-face. This may well be because sooner or later a lot of people find themselves gravitating to New York for a visit. But I've also hooked up with several users on my own travels, a number of whom have remained close friends.

I can't remember all the people I've met, and some have stopped participating on music boards of any type. (I don't think because of me, but ya never know.) Of the people most active here, I've met Bruce Hodges quite a few times, and Karl Henning as well (both in Boston and NY). Scott Spires too, who I think now calls himself Archaic Torso of something or other, and Joe Barron.

Other names may not be as familiar to the newer posters here, but veterans will surely remember the great late Ralph Stein, law professor and bon vivant extraordinaire. Ralph always bought two subscriptions to the NY Philharmonic and invited guests to each concert, so I met him this way many times. I would pay for dinner and Ralph for the performance. I visited Ralph in the hospital after his heart attack, but just a year or two later he passed away from complications of diabetes. I still miss him.

Some more names: Steve Molino, with whom I still e-mail frequently. On a few occasions he, Ralph, Barry Zuckerman, and I got together at fine NY restaurants for an extravagant lunch. Joe Henry, who wrote beautifully about Boulez; we have met in NY and DC quite a few times. Catison (Brett Stewart), who was once quite roly-poly but dropped a lot of weight and married a beautiful girl. Nigil Wilkinson, whom I visited in Paris. Ellie Edwards, the voice teacher from Boston. Owlice (Alice Ryan). Ellie Kett, who visited once from Israel. Wilma Monlouis. Guy Fairstein, the lawyer whose primary interests were Mahler and Bruckner. Yasser Yeman. Joshua Lilly, lover of Mozart and chess, who came up to NY from Virginia. Karl Henzy, a great Carter fan. Al Moritz, the great lover of Bruckner and Stockhausen. Utah Bill, with whom I spent a great afternoon in the SF area. Niki (Emmanuel) Beer and I have had dinner together both in NY and SF.

And several others from That Other Board. Ralph invited me to a couple of their get-togethers, so I have met John Brousseau, Lenny Goran, John Francis, The Horn, and I'm pretty sure "some guy," even though I didn't know most of these people well. I used to see Frank Berglas a lot when he was living in NY and attending the Met; we often met for Chinese dinner at an excellent little-known hole in the wall near Lincoln Center, since then torn down. John Bleau, Ralph Stein, and I had dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant right next to the Chinese hole in the wall; John had some odd ideas about AIDS, but he also self-published a wonderful memoir about traveling in India. And yes, I've also met the notorious Randall Wetmore, but perhaps before he became so entrenched in his political views, or perhaps I just didn't see it then.

Also David Gable, who was very active at RMCR and some other boards, but not I think here. David is a true scholar, a trained musicologist who wrote his dissertation under Charles Rosen and who has published on Boulez and Verdi, among others. And his friend Pradyut Shah, who also studied at the University of Chicago.

There may have been others. There must have been. The first time I met Ralph Stein, he organized a big lunch in NY's Chinatown for a dozen people. I think Larry Rinkel was there too, but like most sensible people I instantly realized he was a boor and a nuisance, and so I always ignored his PMs and emails. (Somehow he's too dense to ever get the point and he still continues attaching himself to me.) I think Brian and I may be meeting next month besides, and I certainly would be happy to get together with anyone else who comes to NY.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK