Author Topic: Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)  (Read 18812 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2018, 02:11:32 AM »

Is there a more epic and stunning first symphony than this one? Walton and Langaard are other superb examples, but at the moment I'm enjoying the thoroughly glorious Bloch, what a boisterous tour de force this is! And magical moments aplenty, music highly suggestive, lush and sumptuous, featuring some of the most cataclysmic climaxes in the music literature. I love this, the terrific blend between Strauss, Mahler and Respighi (mostly) and the Bloch's emergent voice is just astounding, a desert-island work for sure. I tend to prefer this version to that of Naxos, though.

The redemptive ending of that symphony is one of my favourites - I find it very moving. I wonder if you know Harold Truscott's Symphony Cesar? It ends in a similar way, although perhaps with a greater level of 'glowering darkness' rather than redemption. If you don't know it you might like it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
The redemptive ending of that symphony is one of my favourites - I find it very moving. I wonder if you know Harold Truscott's Symphony Cesar? It ends in a similar way, although perhaps with a greater level of 'glowering darkness' rather than redemption. If you don't know it you might like it.

Truscott's Symphony? Don't really, but I'll investigate it if you say that has a moving ending.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »
Truscott's Symphony? Don't really, but I'll investigate it if you say that has a moving ending.
I enjoy the whole Symphony Cesar. In some ways I think that it is not dissimilar to the Bloch symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).