Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1245767 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #24700 on: September 24, 2016, 01:14:18 AM »
Gone Baby, Gone

Gets generally good reviews but I am not a fan. The story is contrived and script is weak. A lot of the scenes look staged, with forced acting. I think that's at least partly the script at fault but also the director. The accents come and go. Sometimes they return at the end of a speech! The minor characters were Central Casting On Stilts.

It's not dreadful, I am not wailing over my two lost hours, but thumbs down. 5/10

+1 here who did not like it.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #24701 on: September 24, 2016, 04:32:05 AM »
Last night:  Family Plot and Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

Early in the evening, I started Night of the Living Dead, but stopped it to save for another day.  It's not really my thing, and I am watching it mostly so that I have watched it  8)  That said, I don't mean to suggest that it is bad (I actually find it a fairly impressive accomplishment for such a shoestring production), only that I suppose I need to be in the right humor.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Ghost Sonata

« Reply #24702 on: September 24, 2016, 05:01:17 AM »
Gone Baby, Gone

Gets generally good reviews but I am not a fan. The story is contrived and script is weak. A lot of the scenes look staged, with forced acting. I think that's at least partly the script at fault but also the director. The accents come and go. Sometimes they return at the end of a speech! The minor characters were Central Casting On Stilts.

It's not dreadful, I am not wailing over my two lost hours, but thumbs down. 5/10

+1.  5/10, eh?  You liked it way more than I did! :o

Offline Ghost Sonata

« Reply #24703 on: September 24, 2016, 05:14:26 AM »
Wallace & Gromit in the Wrong Trousers.

I hadn't been much afeared of penguins, before seeing this film.  Glad they don't live here, the cartoon variety anyway; "Feathers" is one perturbing penguin.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #24704 on: September 24, 2016, 05:19:08 AM »

I hadn't been much afeared of penguins, before seeing this film.  Glad they don't live here, the cartoon variety anyway; "Feathers" is one perturbing penguin.

Great fun;  my sister put me onto these.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Ken B

• Get off my lawn!
    • kenBlogic
« Reply #24705 on: September 24, 2016, 05:20:29 AM »

Odd. Just the other day Dave was posting about Pidgeons.

Might need to rematch The Birds soon.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set him on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Ghost Sonata

« Reply #24706 on: September 24, 2016, 05:23:56 AM »

...Early in the evening, I started Night of the Living Dead, but stopped it to save for another day.  It's not really my thing, and I am watching it mostly so that I have watched it  8)  That said, I don't mean to suggest that it is bad (I actually find it a fairly impressive accomplishment for such a shoestring production), only that I suppose I need to be in the right humor.

Does this help?  Feet Loaf, yum:

Offline Ghost Sonata

« Reply #24707 on: September 24, 2016, 05:26:22 AM »
Odd. Just the other day Dave was posting about Pidgeons.

Might need to rematch The Birds soon.

"The Birds is coming."  :) I remember my parents debating the grammar of that when I was a teen...

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #24708 on: September 24, 2016, 05:26:53 AM »

Does this help?  Feet Loaf, yum:

Well, it's helping to push me to vegetarianism, we might say . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Ghost Sonata

« Reply #24709 on: September 24, 2016, 05:31:52 AM »
Well, it's helping to push me to vegetarianism, we might say . . . .

Well, there's solid medical footing for vegetarianism...

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #24710 on: September 24, 2016, 05:35:13 AM »
"The Birds is coming."  :) I remember my parents debating the grammar of that when I was a teen...

It does sound a bit like Leo Gorcey

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pienya0R3P4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Pienya0R3P4</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #24711 on: September 24, 2016, 07:45:45 AM »
New BD arrival - already own the BD of True Grit w/ John Wayne, but decided to also buy this version and enjoy!  Dave :)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #24712 on: September 24, 2016, 03:23:03 PM »
Gone Baby, Gone

I liked it. A Boston accent is a problem when you have a few actors who are natives and the rest who aren't. Come and go is all many of them can do.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:25.7) Gecko/20151012 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.7.3

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #24713 on: September 24, 2016, 09:21:11 PM »
Les Miserables (2012)

I had put off seeing this, but finally saw it a few days ago over the course of two evenings. The break was necessitated by frustration. But lets start with the good. There is some great cinematography (scenes of places, rarely of people). Anne Hathaway was deserving of the Oscar. She is both dramatically good and sings well. Normally, I'd prefer singers who can act, but she does ok (as an actor who sings), even if others could do better. Epinine is ok too. Cosette and Marius are mixed. They look nice and capture the flavor well, but neither is a strong singer. I think that's about it.

Russell Crowe is horribly mis-cast. He can't sing. And when he does, it's like he's so worried about the pitch that the words come out with no inflection - just flat. His acting seems affected by this too - totally wooden.  A major disappointment, considering how rich a role it could be. Hugh Jackman isn't at his best here. I've heard him sing much better than this. He seems strained a lot, and his vibrato irritates me. His acting is ok, but  it's not enough to save things. The roles of the Thernardiers seems overdone. I get why, but they seem more grotesque than funny or a release for the drama in the rest of the story. Bonham Carter just doesn't have much to say and seems wasted to me.

Cinematically, the movie spends so much time looking up their nostrils when they sing (meaning, lots of really close close ups). What's up with that? Was the Director doing research on nostril hair? Very unoriginal for the most part. The only exception is Hathaway/Fontine's I Dreamed A Dream, where you can see all the different emotions/feelings/expressions flash across her face as she sings the words. Maybe they were trying to do this with everyone else too, but it rarely worked and was often thoroughly intrusive/uncomfortable (especially the men with beards - Jackman and Crowe mostly). it does work better with Epinine, Marius and Cossette, but the constant repetition of this technique was maddening. Sometimes less is more.

Anyway, if you like the show, you might still get some enjoyment out of it, but it should have been so much better considering the source material. Next time, maybe they will get singers first and actors second if they are going to adhere so strictly to the musical.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:23:31 PM by mc ukrneal »
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Ken B

• Get off my lawn!
    • kenBlogic
« Reply #24714 on: September 24, 2016, 09:41:50 PM »
Les Miserables (2012)

I had put off seeing this, but finally saw it a few days ago over the course of two evenings. The break was necessitated by frustration. But lets start with the good. There is some great cinematography (scenes of places, rarely of people). Anne Hathaway was deserving of the Oscar. She is both dramatically good and sings well. Normally, I'd prefer singers who can act, but she does ok (as an actor who sings), even if others could do better. Epinine is ok too. Cosette and Marius are mixed. They look nice and capture the flavor well, but neither is a strong singer. I think that's about it.

Russell Crowe is horribly mis-cast. He can't sing. And when he does, it's like he's so worried about the pitch that the words come out with no inflection - just flat. His acting seems affected by this too - totally wooden.  A major disappointment, considering how rich a role it could be. Hugh Jackman isn't at his best here. I've heard him sing much better than this. He seems strained a lot, and his vibrato irritates me. His acting is ok, but  it's not enough to save things. The roles of the Thernardiers seems overdone. I get why, but they seem more grotesque than funny or a release for the drama in the rest of the story. Bonham Carter just doesn't have much to say and seems wasted to me.

Cinematically, the movie spends so much time looking up their nostrils when they sing (meaning, lots of really close close ups). What's up with that? Was the Director doing research on nostril hair? Very unoriginal for the most part. The only exception is Hathaway/Fontine's I Dreamed A Dream, where you can see all the different emotions/feelings/expressions flash across her face as she sings the words. Maybe they were trying to do this with everyone else too, but it rarely worked and was often thoroughly intrusive/uncomfortable (especially the men with beards - Jackman and Crowe mostly). it does work better with Epinine, Marius and Cossette, but the constant repetition of this technique was maddening. Sometimes less is more.

Anyway, if you like the show, you might still get some enjoyment out of it, but it should have been so much better considering the source material. Next time, maybe they will get singers first and actors second if they are going to adhere so strictly to the musical.

You are right about Hathaway, and a couple others, but the movie itself is a penance, a musical made with no respect for the music. I would have thought Master of the House was a number you couldn't screw up, but they managed to. Crowe must have been given the score for Pierrot Lunaire by accident. 2/10
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set him on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • "I don't have a horse face!"
« Reply #24715 on: Today at 01:29:07 AM »
I didn't like that one either, but ironically one of the only things that I did like about the movie... was Russell Crowe as Javert.
"I am a shadowy reflection of you."

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #24716 on: Today at 03:04:52 AM »
Last night, again:  Hugo
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #24717 on: Today at 03:07:41 AM »
. Crowe must have been given the score for Pierrot Lunaire by accident. 2/10

Took a sip of my coffee same time I read this, almost had disastrous results .  :D

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK