Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 819115 times)

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #20040 on: August 30, 2014, 03:55:09 PM »
James is an agent for the Stockhausen/Criterion Industrial Complex.

We should also have to consider whether we really want to know any actual opinion he would express.

The answer may not be the obvious one . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • Without music life would be a mistake. - Nietzsche
    • kenblogic
    Wading through The Pile.
« Reply #20041 on: August 30, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
We should also have to consider whether we really want to know any actual opinion he would express.

The answer may not be the obvious one . . . .
Joking aside I do. I agree with James on quite a lot actually (not all!). Neither of us are nihilists who believe art is a delusion.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #20042 on: August 30, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »
I don't think I could create art, and think it's a delusion.  But perhaps I delude myself . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #20043 on: August 30, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »
Joking aside I do. I agree with James on quite a lot actually (not all!). Neither of us are nihilists who believe art is a delusion.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Offline George

• Veteran member
« Reply #20044 on: August 30, 2014, 04:32:51 PM »

About to watch the first episode(s) of the 5 hour original TV series.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #20045 on: August 30, 2014, 04:42:17 PM »
Shame (I still want to see it though, and I'll probably buy it when the price lowers over time) .. the best Spiderman film is still Part 2 of the Raimi series, so well executed & performed, great action, visuals ..  AND with that conflicted emotional center that was so well played & touching. I thought the re-boot was good too, really captured the spirit of the actual comic-book (which was one of my favorites going up!) .. I'm a sucker for all the film adaptions of comics too, as comics were a big part of my childhood .. so it's part nostalgia, part how well they are actually doing them these days ..

Hi James - well, I did buy the first one w/ Garfield on BD, but not this one and I'm sure this 'new series' will be at least a trilogy from the ending (won't be a spoiler) - I'm not going to hold my breath though - probably just more continual fabulous CGI and a LOT of noise - sorry.  Dave :)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
  • Street mural, San Juan La Laguna, Guatemala
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #20046 on: August 30, 2014, 05:21:40 PM »

Boyhood.  Possibly the apogee of naturalistic filmmaking.  There's not really a narrative plot, and there doesn't need to be one.   The movie is long and slow, but never boring.  The main cast is superb, with Ellar Coltrane doing exceptionally fine work for such a young actor.  But the movie belongs to Patricia Arquette, who gives a truly great performance.  If she doesn't win a boatload of awards, including an Oscar, there is no justice in Hollywood.

Just saw it. Wow, what a movie. I have never seen a film that so perfectly captures what it means to be a kid - especially a kid of my generation, ish. The main characters are 5 years younger than I am and way more addicted to video games, but those aren't the important details; the thing they get so right is the mind of being a kid, how you see the world. And then they do it perfectly again for teenagerhood, and the laughable bullshit profundity of college students on shrooms. And at the same time that those two miracles are going on, there's the ongoing third miracle, the story of the parents, and what it's like being a mom, being a dad, having step-children you suddenly are obliged to care for.

I feel lucky to have seen a movie so wise, so empathetic. And yes, Hawke is superb, Coltrane is destined to be a memorable character actor, Richard Linklater's real-life daughter steals several of the early scenes, and Patricia Arquette...oh boy. You're right; her final scene better have clinched an Oscar. Not a nomination, an Oscar.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
    Ramping up some monstrous and groovy themes.
« Reply #20047 on: August 30, 2014, 06:53:52 PM »
Shame (I still want to see it though, and I'll probably buy it when the price lowers over time) .. the best Spiderman film is still Part 2 of the Raimi series, so well executed & performed, great action, visuals ..  AND with that conflicted emotional center that was so well played & touching. I thought the re-boot was good too, really captured the spirit of the actual comic-book (which was one of my favorites going up!) .. I'm a sucker for all the film adaptions of comics too, as comics were a big part of my childhood .. so it's part nostalgia, part how well they are actually doing them these days ..

One of the BEST out there in this genre....or even under the broader umbrella of ACTION movie.

Offline -abe-

« Reply #20048 on: August 30, 2014, 08:37:19 PM »
Games of Thrones, Season 2

I completed viewing the ten episodes of the second season and loved every bit of it. Lots of heart break, action and involving storytelling. The acting and production values are compelling (I especially liked wintry  scenes filmed "Beyond the Wall." It must not have been easy to film that.) I watched the plot unfold with fascination and dread.

Much has been said about the performances of the various actors but I didn't hear much about the guy who plays Stannis Barathon.

The character is absolutely ruthless but I sort of rooted for him because he wasn't as clownish as his brothers and had the most regal presence since Ned Stark.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:53:54 PM by -abe- »

Offline -abe-

« Reply #20049 on: August 30, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »
Dune is one of my favorite novels, and I did see the David Lynch version and the Sci-Fi miniseries from fourteen years ago. I didn't know though there was an attempt at an adaptation which preceded Lynch's version and had a fair amount of pre-production done but never got off the ground. They recently made a documentary about this never-made Dune film. Looks compelling!!

Orson Wells as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen! Oh, what a film it would have been (there's a great joke in the trailer about how the director convinced a reluctant Wells to agree to the role.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4OCeSTL08

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #20050 on: Today at 04:54:32 AM »
This 1950 update of the Orphic myth by Jean Cocteau (Beauty and the Beast) depicts a famous poet (Jean Marais) scorned by the Left Bank youth, and his love for both his wife Eurydice (Marie Déa) and a mysterious princess (Maria Casarès). Seeking inspiration, the poet follows the princess from the world of the living to the land of the dead through Cocteau’s famous mirrored portal. Orpheus represents the legendary Cocteau at the height of his abilities for peerless visual poetry and dreamlike storytelling. (Criterion)

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #20051 on: Today at 05:03:56 AM »

My 16 year old lad and I watched this last night.  He thought it was brilliant.  Needless to say, I agreed with and was most pleased with his assessment.  So many layers of greatness here with regard to film making by Lumet and crew.  Angles, lens choice, lighting....on and on and on.  On a fun note, and with the exception of a couple, this is one of the best films for saying, "What else have I seen him in?" 

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #20052 on: Today at 05:15:06 AM »

My 16 year old lad and I watched this last night.  He thought it was brilliant.  Needless to say, I agreed with and was most pleased with his assessment.  So many layers of greatness here with regard to film making by Lumet and crew.  Angles, lens choice, lighting....on and on and on.  On a fun note, and with the exception of a couple, this is one of the best films for saying, "What else have I seen him in?" 

Whatever else is done with the camera and the film idiom, there's simply no substitute for a script which is excellent theatre.

Thread Duty:  Last night, in my ongoing stroll through the Night Gallery, "The Last Rites of a Dead Druid."  I admit that because of my teenage TV viewing, I have pretty much type-cast Bill Bixby in his role in The Courtship of Eddie's Father (and, for my own reasons, I never cared for his Hulk project);  so it was very enjoyable to see him in a role which demanded a different range.  Another aspect of good fun was Ned Glass as the shop owner, and the delicate touch of his character being "Mr Bernstein," since one of my earliest sights of the actor was as Doc in West Side Story.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #20053 on: Today at 05:16:24 AM »

An excellent movie .. another Sidney Lumet film I really liked is Dog Day Afternoon. Network was pretty good too.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #20054 on: Today at 05:30:11 AM »
Whatever else is done with the camera and the film idiom, there's simply no substitute for a script which is excellent theatre.

Truth. 

It is nice when all of them come together.

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #20055 on: Today at 05:42:10 AM »
Truth. 

It is nice when all of them come together.

Absolutely!  I do not at all mind watching the occasional film which is "only" the video record of a fine performance of an excellent play;  but the possibilities of the medium are greater than mere stenography.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline ZauberdrachenNr.7

• Con fuoco.
    20th Century Classical Music, mostly; violin concertos of all dates and stylistic persuasions; and Brahms, of course.
« Reply #20056 on: Today at 07:49:03 PM »
A gripping documentary about the "Toynbee Tiles" - I found several in the street myself, investigated and discovered this film that resolves much of their mystery and is well-worth the viewing.  Deserved broader attn. than it rec'd; really, two stories in one: the mystery itself and the story of one man's obsession with it.  Remarkable story remarkably told.

Zauberdrachen sagt Zaubersachen.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK