Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1093339 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #23180 on: February 06, 2016, 09:53:17 AM »

The Age of Adaline.  A young woman, through fantastical means, remains stuck in her 20s forever, and must deal with the world around her, including the aging of those she loves.  The premise is ridiculous, and the blurbs of narration describing the fantastical means and events are just terrible, but the movie has its charms.  Chief among them is the gorgeous Blake Lively, who, through her immense physical beauty, and her soothing, soft voice and demeanor, makes a sympathetic central character.  Harrison Ford puts in his best acting in years (since at least What Lies Beneath, and probably The Fugitive) in a decidedly small-scale, non-action figure role.  Not a great film, or even a very good one, it's a nice enough throw-away entertainment.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
  • Follows trends of the Retro Hound.
« Reply #23181 on: February 06, 2016, 03:19:58 PM »

I have returned to this film on three different occasions, and I still find it so-so.  Marilyn definitely struggles through it and the gags are pretty tired. 
“I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic.”― Abigail Adams

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #23182 on: February 06, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »
Well, I guess it was not just me.  This from IMDB

Marilyn Monroe required 47 takes to get "It's me, Sugar" correct, instead saying either "Sugar, it's me" or "It's Sugar, me". After take 30, Billy Wilder had the line written on a blackboard. Another scene required Monroe to rummage through some drawers and say "Where's the bourbon?" After 40 takes of her saying "Where's the whiskey?", 'Where's the bottle?", or "Where's the bonbon?", Wilder pasted the correct line in one of the drawers. After Monroe became confused about which drawer contained the line, Wilder had it pasted in every drawer. Fifty-nine takes were required for this scene and when she finally does say it, she has her back to the camera, leading some to wonder if Wilder finally gave up and had it dubbed.

After shooting was completed, Billy Wilder threw a celebration dinner at his home for cast members and friends. Marilyn Monroe was not invited. The crushed star had to have it explained to her that she had cost the production roughly half a million dollars with her delays and unprofessional behaviour. Wilder had generally unkind things to say about her after this film. When asked if he would do another project with her, he replied, "My doctor and my psychiatrist ... tell me I am too old and too rich to go through this again." After reading some of the things Wilder said about her in print, Monroe called his home and told his wife to please give her husband the message - "to go f*** himself." Wilder changed his tune later, commenting, "It takes a real artist to come on the set and not know her lines and yet give the performance she did." A year later, at the premiere of The Apartment (1960), Monroe threw her arms around him, told him how much she loved the picture, and whispered that she would like to play the lead in Irma la Douce (1963), a role that eventually went to Shirley MacLaine.
“I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic.”― Abigail Adams

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #23183 on: February 06, 2016, 03:29:25 PM »

Very good indeed.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #23184 on: February 07, 2016, 04:23:05 AM »

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #23185 on: February 07, 2016, 06:07:10 AM »
From '31 and still holds up and true today:

About a newspaper that decides to open up a 20 year old murder case to increase circulation I (because the League of Nations story is not selling) and finds their smut campaign leading to a tragedy.

Offline James

• Currently Listening to:
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #23186 on: February 07, 2016, 06:18:35 AM »
Richard Kuklinski The Iceman HBO interview .. the part that starts at 58:52 is particularly tense  ..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ceERzARTMGs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ceERzARTMGs</a>
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Offline -abe-

• Veteran member
« Reply #23187 on: February 07, 2016, 08:58:44 PM »
Well, I guess it was not just me.  This from IMDB

Marilyn Monroe required 47 takes to get "It's me, Sugar" correct, instead saying either "Sugar, it's me" or "It's Sugar, me". After take 30, Billy Wilder had the line written on a blackboard. Another scene required Monroe to rummage through some drawers and say "Where's the bourbon?" After 40 takes of her saying "Where's the whiskey?", 'Where's the bottle?", or "Where's the bonbon?", Wilder pasted the correct line in one of the drawers. After Monroe became confused about which drawer contained the line, Wilder had it pasted in every drawer. Fifty-nine takes were required for this scene and when she finally does say it, she has her back to the camera, leading some to wonder if Wilder finally gave up and had it dubbed.

After shooting was completed, Billy Wilder threw a celebration dinner at his home for cast members and friends. Marilyn Monroe was not invited. The crushed star had to have it explained to her that she had cost the production roughly half a million dollars with her delays and unprofessional behaviour. Wilder had generally unkind things to say about her after this film. When asked if he would do another project with her, he replied, "My doctor and my psychiatrist ... tell me I am too old and too rich to go through this again." After reading some of the things Wilder said about her in print, Monroe called his home and told his wife to please give her husband the message - "to go f*** himself." Wilder changed his tune later, commenting, "It takes a real artist to come on the set and not know her lines and yet give the performance she did." A year later, at the premiere of The Apartment (1960), Monroe threw her arms around him, told him how much she loved the picture, and whispered that she would like to play the lead in Irma la Douce (1963), a role that eventually went to Shirley MacLaine.

Interesting and funny story! :)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #23188 on: February 08, 2016, 09:05:15 AM »

I have returned to this film on three different occasions, and I still find it so-so.  Marilyn definitely struggles through it and the gags are pretty tired.

Well, Some Like It Hot is still a film that I enjoy but do no watch that often - replaced my DVD w/ the BD (added above) a while back (4.1/5 video & audio ratings HERE) - I still love the ending scene (pic below) when Lemmon reveals he's not a 'natural blond' and then 'not a woman' to Joe E. Brown - not sure how much Brown may have 'ad lib' those lines?  Dave :)

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #23189 on: February 08, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »
Last night, had to watch Grosse Pointe Blank again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online George

• Veteran member
« Reply #23190 on: February 08, 2016, 10:34:09 AM »

One of my faves. That, along with High Fidelity.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #23191 on: February 08, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »
Will watch High Fidelity again tonight!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline -abe-

• Veteran member
« Reply #23192 on: February 08, 2016, 02:01:41 PM »
I got a lot to say about the last movie I saw, but first let's dispel once and for all this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #23193 on: February 08, 2016, 03:50:33 PM »

One of my faves. That, along with High Fidelity.

For favorite John Cussak films: Have you seen The Sure Thing?

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #23194 on: February 08, 2016, 04:23:29 PM »
Awesome film. Maybe I just saw that at the right age...
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Online George

• Veteran member
« Reply #23195 on: Today at 06:16:54 AM »

I enjoyed that one, yes. Saw it a few years back.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #23196 on: Today at 10:25:06 AM »
Room (2015) w/ Bree Larson & Jacob Tremblay (really a cute kid!) - ratings: 8.3/10, IMDB; 96%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.5/5*, Amazon - seen on the BIG screen - based on a book read by my wife a few years ago for her club - short synopsis below - we enjoyed, and I'd do a 4* rating on Amazon - probably would not want to see again and not a purchase, but Bree Larson is up for an Oscar for those interested in seeing the films of the nominees - she has already won the three awards shown below for her performance in this film.  Dave :)

Held captive for years in an enclosed space, a woman (Brie Larson) and her 5-year-old son (Jacob Tremblay) finally gain their freedom, allowing the boy to experience the outside world for the first time.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #23197 on: Today at 05:31:52 PM »

Not essential, but much better than the thugfest I was expecting it to be.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK