Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.

Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 803669 times)

Offline James

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #19760 on: July 21, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »
A Cronenberg double header this nite ..

David Cronenberg takes on William Burroughs's oeuvre of depravity, hallucinations, and talking insects in a film that should have been a disaster. Naked Lunch is a book that most directors would shun from filming. But if anyone can do it, Cronenberg--with his fascination for the bizarre, grotesque, and shadowy side of human nature and his fondness for special effects--can. Cronenberg extracts an interesting cinematic experience (for those open to it) out of the difficult source material.

Equal parts smart and sleazy, David Cronenberg's Videodrome depicts a cable TV owner who falls under the sway of a pirate program. Instead of bachelorettes and dancing stars, kinky sex and sadistic violence fill his screen. Citing Marshall McLuhan as an inspiration, Cronenberg notes that "a lot of people have thought of this film as being very prophetic," adding "I have never been interested in being a prophet of any kind," and yet the movie predicts today's wired world.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
  • Street mural, San Juan La Laguna, Guatemala
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #19761 on: July 22, 2014, 03:42:13 AM »
That stinks!  What happened?  Of all places, they could use the business.
Turns out when I reloaded the site a few minutes later, everything was working again. Thank goodness! Order placed.

Verdoux is polarizing. I liked it, especially Keaton. But I always like Keaton. City Lights is the best film on the list. Not worth buyin, but you'll want to watch Blow UP after OUT..
I bought into Chaplin's mindset enough to know I need them all - I loved the also polarizing Great Dictator. As for Royal Tenenbaums, if I don't see it, I won't know whether to thank you for not buying it.  ;)

I know almost nothing about Nashville, Blow Out, Tenenbaums, and Mr. Fox; those are basically rolls of the dice for me.

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #19762 on: July 22, 2014, 04:21:21 AM »
Well, I really blew my wallet on this pay raise celebration!

Criterion Collection 50% off sale, Barnes & Noble

-Silent movies-
Safety Last, Harold Lloyd
The Freshman, Harold Lloyd
Gold Rush, Chaplin
City Lights, Chaplin
Modern Times, Chaplin

-Assorted classics-
Monsieur Verdoux, Chaplin
12 Angry Men
Last Temptation of Christ
A Hard Day's Night
Nashville, Altman

-Other stuff-
Hoop Dreams, documentary
Blow Out
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Royal Tenenbaums
Blue is the Warmest Color

I've seen Modern Times and 12 Angry Men, and they're two of my favorite movies ever. The others will all, every one, be completely new to me.

I prefer The Great Dictator to Modern Times, but that's far from any condemnation of the latter.

I need to go back and see The Last Temptation again.  I saw it back when it was a scandal at its opening;  I enjoyed it at the time, but I want to see to what extent that was a reactionary pleasure 8)

A Hard Day's Night has really surprised me in being a film I enjoy going back to, now and again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #19763 on: July 22, 2014, 04:21:55 AM »
I bought into Chaplin's mindset enough to know I need them all - I loved the also polarizing Great Dictator.

Ah, all is well, then :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
    Blasting off an Antonín Dvořák rocket!
« Reply #19764 on: July 22, 2014, 04:32:49 AM »
Turns out when I reloaded the site a few minutes later, everything was working again. Thank goodness! Order placed.
I bought into Chaplin's mindset enough to know I need them all - I loved the also polarizing Great Dictator. As for Royal Tenenbaums, if I don't see it, I won't know whether to thank you for not buying it.  ;)

I know almost nothing about Nashville, Blow Out, Tenenbaums, and Mr. Fox; those are basically rolls of the dice for me.

Excellent!  Gold Rush is a favorite at this end, and 12 Angry Men is one of the best.  Harold LLoyd I always enjoy.  Glad it went through. 

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
  • Street mural, San Juan La Laguna, Guatemala
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #19765 on: July 22, 2014, 07:11:41 AM »
Ah, all is well, then :)
Already had that one!

Offline Alberich

• "I don't have a horse face!"
« Reply #19766 on: July 22, 2014, 07:41:45 AM »
I prefer The Great Dictator to Modern Times, but that's far from any condemnation of the latter.

I love both but I prefer Gold Rush to them.

In honor of Russell Crowe I decided to rewatch this:

It is actually a really really good movie. I love especially the queer giraffes-line.
"I didn't say actors are cattle. What I said was, actors should be treated like cattle."

Offline Alberich

• "I don't have a horse face!"
« Reply #19767 on: July 22, 2014, 08:10:51 AM »

Blade runner, the one movie that has a death monologue rivaling in power and humane sorrow Hamlet's "The rest is silence."

"I didn't say actors are cattle. What I said was, actors should be treated like cattle."

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #19768 on: Today at 02:10:27 PM »
With Scanners, David Cronenberg plunges us into one of his most terrifying and thrilling sci-fi worlds. After a man with extraordinary—and frighteningly destructive—telepathic abilities is nabbed by agents from a mysterious rogue corporation, he discovers he is far from the only possessor of such strange powers, and that some of the other “scanners” have their minds set on world domination, while others are trying to stop them. A trademark Cronenberg combination of the visceral and the cerebral, this phenomenally gruesome and provocative film about the expanses and limits of the human mind was the Canadian director’s breakout hit in the United States.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Offline ZauberdrachenNr.7

• About to go on a Rameau bender. Join me?!
« Reply #19769 on: Today at 02:27:45 PM »

Blade Runner, the one movie that has a death monologue rivaling in power and humane sorrow Hamlet's "The rest is silence."

+1 (it's in my all-time Top Ten films list).
"Dada cannot live in New York.  All New York is Dada, and will not tolerate a rival."  Man Ray

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK