Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1626786 times)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #27080 on: December 10, 2017, 03:44:03 AM »
Part III is an excellent movie. Trouble is, Parts I & II are among the greatest movies of all time.

Surgically put.

Another trouble is, after watching Parts I & II, you're very careful of anyone who is to your back . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27081 on: December 12, 2017, 02:43:12 AM »
Shallow Grave....

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #27082 on: December 13, 2017, 03:21:44 AM »
Le Samouraï
1967 ‧ Mystery/Crime film ‧ 1h 47m

Hit man Jef Costello (Alain Delon) goes through an elaborate set of rituals before carrying out a hit on a nightclub owner. Always thorough and cool in his job, Costello is disconcerted to discover a witness to the killing, the club's female piano player. But before he can act, the police arrest him in a sweep of suspects. Released when the main witness does not come forward, Costello goes from being the hunter to the hunted, trailed by the determined police as well as his crime bosses.

"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27083 on: December 14, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »
Burnt....

Most enjoyable.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27084 on: December 14, 2017, 11:45:29 AM »
A cross-post, but I have now re-watched all the Star Wars movies from my youth:  Space Tussles
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #27085 on: December 14, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
East Side Sushi was an unexpected pleasure to watch. There are unresolved issues and some tough moments are sort of glossed over. But other ideas are explored more deeply and the spirit of the movie is ultimately positive. I'm in a good mood after watching it. It is free to Prime Amazon members, and one I'd recommend. 

Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #27086 on: December 14, 2017, 08:51:56 PM »
Shallow Grave....

A marvelous film -- a twisty little thriller -- with especially vibrant production design.

This afternoon, Barton Fink (1991, Coen brothers). Had only seen it once, when it emerged, and liked it. This time, however, a totally different story: Seems to be one of their top 2-3 films -- a masterpiece. Superb cast, great Roger Deakins photography, and people are probably still talking about what the story actually means.

--Bruce
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.
     ~ Gustav Mahler

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
« Reply #27087 on: December 14, 2017, 09:34:39 PM »

Online Alberich

• Veteran member
  • "I don't have a horse face!"
« Reply #27088 on: Today at 02:59:23 AM »
A cross-post, but I have now re-watched all the Star Wars movies from my youth:  Space Tussles

Great reviews, Karl! According to the Expanded universe comicbooks (which, however, are not canon anymore) Vader learns Luke's name (including his last name) somewhere between episodes IV and V. However, as you said, this doesn't explain how the hell he didn't realize Leia is his daughter while interrogating her. The best explanation I can think of is that Luke had at least some Force training from Ben Kenobi which could have made his presence stronger than Leia's who had no training whatsoever. Or maybe the midichlorian count (can't believe I'm acknowledging midichlorians) was much higher in Luke than it was in Leia  :D Also, Skywalker sounds a rather common name so it could be a far-fetched theory to think that a rebel named Luke Skywalker is automatically related to him. I guess the Force told him, right?

Thread duty: Coincidentally, the last movie I saw was a Star Wars movie as well. Take a guess which one.  ;)
"I am a shadowy reflection of you."

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27089 on: Today at 05:03:08 AM »
Great reviews, Karl! According to the Expanded universe comicbooks (which, however, are not canon anymore) Vader learns Luke's name (including his last name) somewhere between episodes IV and V. However, as you said, this doesn't explain how the hell he didn't realize Leia is his daughter while interrogating her. The best explanation I can think of is that Luke had at least some Force training from Ben Kenobi which could have made his presence stronger than Leia's who had no training whatsoever. Or maybe the midichlorian count (can't believe I'm acknowledging midichlorians) was much higher in Luke than it was in Leia  :D Also, Skywalker sounds a rather common name so it could be a far-fetched theory to think that a rebel named Luke Skywalker is automatically related to him. I guess the Force told him, right?

Thread duty: Coincidentally, the last movie I saw was a Star Wars movie as well. Take a guess which one.  ;)

Thanks!

(Did you just see the new one?)

One “downstream effect” of this Star Wars binge is, I am inclined to give Revenge of the Sith a fresh try.  It will, in fact, be my first full sight of it, since my first attempt was a library DVD which was simply the most scratched disc (LP, CD or DVD) I have ever laid eyes on in my life, and there was no way to get it to play properly.  I was able to do no more than randomly try scenes in hope they might play . . . not at all the conditions under which I could be fair to the endeavor.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online Alberich

• Veteran member
  • "I don't have a horse face!"
« Reply #27090 on: Today at 05:06:01 AM »
(Did you just see the new one?)

That's right!  :)
"I am a shadowy reflection of you."

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27091 on: Today at 05:07:49 AM »
Maybe I used the Force!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK