Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1224933 times)

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #24440 on: August 23, 2016, 04:20:02 PM »
American President, The (1995) w/ Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, Martin Sheen, & Michael J. Fox; Rob Reiner, director - despite owning hundreds of commercial movies (about 2/3 now BDs) & a similar number of old DVD-Rs, Susan & I watch few movies together - she just has different tastes and also dislikes re-watching films; BUT, there are about a dozen that we will view once or twice a year, including the one below.

The Blu-ray Restoration is only average (i.e. 3.5/5 for both video & audio) but still an improvement over the DVD from the review.  Ratings: 6.8/10, IMDB; 4/4, Roger Ebert; 90%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.6/5*, Amazon - I would certainly do a 4* on Amazon - Dave :)

I would do a 1 out of 10 on this one.  Can barely take either star and the pretentiousness was too thick to swallow for me Dave.

Really enjoyed this one.  8 out of 10 here.
Excellent meditation on old age:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #24441 on: August 23, 2016, 04:27:34 PM »
Really enjoyed this one.  8 out of 10 here.

8/10 is fair!  I think Vincent Price's ruined Russian aristocrat nearly steals the show!
"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #24442 on: August 23, 2016, 04:39:38 PM »
I would do a 1 out of 10 on this one.  Can barely take either star and the pretentiousness was too thick to swallow for me Dave.
Really? I thought it pretty good, especially the first half. But not liking either actor doesn't help.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #24443 on: August 23, 2016, 05:01:29 PM »

Well Bill, although we usually agree on films enjoyed - I must part the 'Red Sea' on your opinion above - hopefully, an exorcism will return you to your senses - ;)  Dave

Offline Ken B

• Mighty big words for a one-eyed fat man.
    • kenBlogic
« Reply #24444 on: August 23, 2016, 05:28:32 PM »
Oh thank heavens. I thought I was the only one. I might not give it quite a 1, but below par for sure.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set him on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #24445 on: August 23, 2016, 06:08:52 PM »
Oh thank heavens. I thought I was the only one. I might not give it quite a 1, but below par for sure.

Well, The American President remains a film enjoyed by my wife & I together (and there are not that many), and we will continue to watch and will relish in the opinion of the late and great Roger Ebert - there must be some justice on the planet!  ;)  Dave

Offline Draško

• Veteran member
« Reply #24446 on: Today at 03:28:18 AM »
BBC's The 21st Century's 25 greatest films ..

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160822-the-21st-centurys-25-greatest-films

Looks like decent enough list. I saw 17-18 of those 25 and expectedly there are films I thought should't be there and at least half dozen that I think should but aren't. Overall one could certainly do worse. For instance In the Mood for Love is in my all time top five regardless of the century.
de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Offline Draško

• Veteran member
« Reply #24447 on: Today at 03:29:36 AM »
de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Offline James

• Currently Listening to:
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #24448 on: Today at 02:17:25 PM »
To Live
1952 ‧ Drama film ‧ 2h 23m

Mr. Watanabe suddenly finds that he has terminal cancer. He vows to make his final days meaningful. His attempts to communicate his anguish to his son and daughter-in-law lead only to heartbreak. Finally, inspired by an unselfish co-worker, he turns his efforts to bringing happiness to others by building a playground in a dreary slum neighborhood. When the park is finally completed, he is able to face death with peaceful acceptance.

"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #24449 on: Today at 03:27:18 PM »
BBC's The 21st Century's 25 greatest films ..

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160822-the-21st-centurys-25-greatest-films

I've seen 20 of the 25, and I will not argue with the choices much, only that I would add Dancer in the Dark in the there somewhere, it's not even in the Top 100 which surprises me.  Otherwise it's a great list.

Some I was glad to see listed....
94. Let the Right One In (Tomas Alfredson, 2008)
73. Before Sunset (Richard Linklater, 2004)
69. Carol (Todd Haynes, 2015)
66. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…and Spring (Kim Ki-duk, 2003)
61. Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer, 2013)
39. The New World (Terrence Malick, 2005)
38. City of God (Fernando Meirelles and Kátia Lund, 2002)
28. Talk to Her (Pedro Almodóvar, 2002)

For instance In the Mood for Love is in my all time top five regardless of the century.

Absolutely, Drasko. One of the best ever.

Offline Ken B

• Mighty big words for a one-eyed fat man.
    • kenBlogic
« Reply #24450 on: Today at 03:30:39 PM »
I've seen 20 of the 25, and I will not argue with the choices much, only that I would add Dancer in the Dark in the there somewhere, it's not even in the Top 100 which surprises me.  Otherwise it's a great list.

Some I was glad to see listed....
94. Let the Right One In (Tomas Alfredson, 2008)
73. Before Sunset (Richard Linklater, 2004)
69. Carol (Todd Haynes, 2015)
66. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…and Spring (Kim Ki-duk, 2003)
61. Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer, 2013)
39. The New World (Terrence Malick, 2005)
38. City of God (Fernando Meirelles and Kátia Lund, 2002)
28. Talk to Her (Pedro Almodóvar, 2002)

Absolutely, Drasko. One of the best ever.

The Artist.

Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set him on fire and he is warm for life.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK