Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 967318 times)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #21720 on: July 03, 2015, 02:34:02 PM »
Tonight though, I'll watch THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T, not a perfect film but a favourite.
Produced by Stanley Kramer, directed by Roy Rowland, starring Peter Lind Hayes, Mary Healy,Hans Conried  and Tommy Rettig (more famous for Lassie).  It is truly weird.

An all-around favorite, although some say it is an attack on classical music as "effete" and "snobbish," I would think it is rather an attack on the effete snobs who ruin the music for everyone else!  The Dungeon Symphony is not to be missed! 

Score by Frederick (Friedrich) Hollander (Hollaender).
"Anyone who would bludgeon their elderly aunt to death can't be all bad!"- Alfred Hitchcock

- from The Young One Season 3 Ep. 9 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #21721 on: July 03, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »
Werner Herzog has a new film, Queen of the Desert. This film gets the new style of trailer treatment, which I find very silly and unfitting for a Herzog film, even tries to create action from slow camel riding shots . But I'm intrigued by anyway...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tJ0xy9euq24" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tJ0xy9euq24</a> 

Offline Alberich

• "I don't have a horse face!"
« Reply #21722 on: Today at 03:51:31 AM »
@ North Star: It is easy to say in a modern, safe, democratic welfare state that "I would have done differently had I lived in Third Reich", but unfortunately, in a real situation, in a state led by mad genocidal dictator, not everyone has the courage to do so.
"I didn't say actors are cattle. What I said was, actors should be treated like cattle."

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #21723 on: Today at 04:10:15 AM »
Including the seven-minute cartoon Lava, one of the best movies of the year, and maybe of the decade:

Amazing that the movie somewhat subtly tells the parents in the audience that wanting or demanding constant happiness for one's child is simply wrong, that sadness and other negative emotions are legitimate and necessary and must not be avoided.

When cartoons are the best films Hollywood is producing, you know that in one sense things are not going too well for the regular movies!
"Anyone who would bludgeon their elderly aunt to death can't be all bad!"- Alfred Hitchcock

- from The Young One Season 3 Ep. 9 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Leoš Janáček, Bohuslav Martinů
« Reply #21724 on: Today at 06:00:13 AM »
@ North Star: It is easy to say in a modern, safe, democratic welfare state that "I would have done differently had I lived in Third Reich", but unfortunately, in a real situation, in a state led by mad genocidal dictator, not everyone has the courage to do so.
Wiesel was in Auschwitz & Niemöller in Dachau.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs | Lake Kitka

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #21725 on: Today at 06:22:26 AM »

As someone who has actually lived in a totalitarian state, I can certainly testify for that: when telling the truth and acting accordingly becomes a matter of life and death (not only yours, but also that of your loved ones), one can take it or leave it --- unless one is made of the stuff saints and heroes are made of, but then I ask anyone here to raise his right hand if he feels up to the task!
« Last Edit: Today at 06:27:37 AM by Florestan »
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

Offline Alberich

• "I don't have a horse face!"
« Reply #21726 on: Today at 06:58:36 AM »
Wiesel was in Auschwitz & Niemöller in Dachau.

I didn't deny that there are people who are gallant enough to fight back and risk everything, including the lives of person him/herself and his/her loved ones. But, lamentably, that doesn't include all of us. Doing nothing while these horrifying crimes against humanity happened is base, but also humane. There are persons prepared to make a difference but amount of those decreases considerably when placed in danger of losing your freedom, or life.
"I didn't say actors are cattle. What I said was, actors should be treated like cattle."

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #21727 on: Today at 08:29:58 AM »

Mr Turner.  A long, slow, and more than occasionally boring depiction of the last 25 years or so of JMW Turner's life.  I know nothing of Turner's bio, so I have no idea if Timothy Spall's acting accurately represents what the man was like, but it is a committed performance.  When Turner has his photograph taken, his fascination mixed with dread is well captured.  The movie has several masterful scenes that depict the real life, or attempted recreations of the real life, events that inspired several of Turner's paintings, and these scenes are visually sumptuous.  A better editor may have yielded a better movie, though. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK