Author Topic: Today's Purchases (Non-classical)  (Read 219095 times)

Offline Conor71

• D. R. & Quinch (From 2000AD)
Re: Today's Purchases (Non-classical)
« Reply #3180 on: November 20, 2016, 12:27:24 AM »
Well, I am maybe just a semifan at this point. Definitely not a hardcore fan.

Just my opinion but I don't pay too much attention to "levels" of fan-ness as I don't really think liking music is some sort of competition but that's just me - a fan is a fan to me in other words :).

I tried Electronica 1 on Spotify, but didn't like it much. Collaborations usually mean compromised results.

Yeah I avoided the Electronica albums for this reason too - just want to collect unadulterated JMJ.

Many other newer Jarre albums are missing on Spotify and are expensive to buy. So, I let them be for now. I didn't like "Les Concerts en Chine" that much, I find the chinese tracks stupid, but that's me. I'm sure there are much better options if I want Chinese music.

Ahh, too bad about Concerts In China but at least you gave it a go.

Chronologie and Revolutions are a bit harsh in a negative way so I am not planning to get them, at least for now. I may get "En Concert Houston/Lyon", but we'll see.

Im a bit undecided about Revolutions and you know what I think of Chronologie - in my view you could safely skip these ones unless you want to be a completest about JMJ at a later stage..
I haven't heard En Concert Houston/Lyon so if you get it I would love to know what you think of it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 12:29:45 AM by Conor71 »
I like old music :)

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
  • Currently Listening to:
    JMJ
« Reply #3181 on: November 20, 2016, 01:44:33 AM »
Just my opinion but I don't pay too much attention to "levels" of fan-ness as I don't really think liking music is some sort of competition but that's just me - a fan is a fan to me in other words :).

Yeah, I am not competing here. Just letting you know that at this point at least there's a few artists more important for me than Jarre. He is in my "B-list" of favorites at the moment. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate his music. It's not easy to get on my "B-list". Jarre has potential to be on my "A-list".   Binary choices are tricky.

Yeah I avoided the Electronica albums for this reason too - just want to collect unadulterated JMJ.

I see your point. Great artists are great partly because they have an unique style. Have two artists with unique styles working together and you get something less unique. I think it is better to have someone remix your song, because the remixer feels greater freedom of expressing his/her unique style, but even remixes are often bad and very rarely on the par of the original track or even better.

Ahh, too bad about Concerts In China but at least you gave it a go.

Well, Spotify makes it easy to give a go. I listen to Spotify and if I like something, I try to buy it. If not, I move on.  :)
Too bad many of the newer albums are missing on Spotify (different copyright owner?)
I like parts of Concerts In China. Souvenir of China is nice for example.

Im a bit undecided about Revolutions and you know what I think of Chronologie - in my view you could safely skip these ones unless you want to be a completest about JMJ at a later stage..
I haven't heard En Concert Houston/Lyon so if you get it I would love to know what you think of it.

I may get these albums later. I want to see what happens to my interest in Jarre's music first.
I listened to En Concert Houston/Lyon on Spotify, twice I think and found it pretty solid, better than Concerts In China. I'm surprised you don't know it.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem
deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion
and make the sound more natural and
less tiresome in headphone listening.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • No One In The Whole Universe Will Ever Compare
« Reply #3182 on: November 20, 2016, 08:28:02 PM »

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - SACD
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #3183 on: December 02, 2016, 05:14:36 PM »
Found on the shelves of Barnes and Noble. I blame Brian😈

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #3184 on: December 02, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »

Great stuff, Jeffrey. Love me some Looney Tunes. They just don't make good cartoons like these anymore.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:57:24 PM by Mirror Image »
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
« Reply #3185 on: December 02, 2016, 09:52:29 PM »

I love also love Looney Tunes, plus the awesome and inventive, almost "post-modernist" music by no other than Carl Stalling.

I have many childhood memories of those cartoons  :-*

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK