Author Topic: What are you eating?  (Read 238074 times)

Offline ZauberdrachenNr.7

• Currently Listening to:
    20th Century Classical Music, mostly; violin concertos of all dates and stylistic persuasions; and Brahms, of course.
Re: What are you eating?
« Reply #3760 on: July 30, 2014, 09:44:53 AM »
Speaking of tofu: Tofu McNuggets  ;D

http://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-japan-launches-tofu-mcnuggets-2014-7

Sarge

Yum, I want, thanks.  If they're not too greasy.  Maybe if I skip the fries...

So Sarge, personal question for you:  why not Sgt. Fury?
De la musique avant toute chose...  Verlaine

Musique d'Abord : Harmonia Mundi's budget line.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #3761 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:02 PM »
Yum, I want, thanks.  If they're not too greasy.  Maybe if I skip the fries...

So Sarge, personal question for you:  why not Sgt. Fury?

The Fury comic first appeared after my comic book reading days were over. Rock, though, was part of my childhood.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

20th Century Classical Music, mostly; violin concertos of all dates and stylistic persuasions; and Brahms, of course.
« Reply #3762 on: July 30, 2014, 04:20:16 PM »
The Fury comic first appeared after my comic book reading days were over. Rock, though, was part of my childhood.

Sarge

Someone told me once that DC and Marvel Comics teamed-up once for a story about Rock and Fury working together on a mission.  Never seen it though. 

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • Ratzkiwatzki
    • kenblogic
    Wading through The Pile.
« Reply #3763 on: July 30, 2014, 04:38:13 PM »
Someone told me once that DC and Marvel Comics teamed-up once for a story about Rock and Fury working together on a mission.  Never seen it though.
"Oh Ken, you read a classical music discussion group? That must be very highbrow and pretentious."
“The esthetic is naive, often too naive to express serious thoughts, frequently depending on quotation of well-known American tunes with little comment, possibly charming but certainly trivial.” -- Elliot Carter on Charles Ives

« Reply #3764 on: July 30, 2014, 05:18:12 PM »
"Oh Ken, you read a classical music discussion group? That must be very highbrow and pretentious."

;) Undeservedly, and imperiling its future, Classical Music carries that cross.  Some of the most "highbrow and pretentious" discussions I've ever been witness to - bar none and that includes some lofty lit & critical theory classes - have been among Donald Duck and Unca Scrooge comic fans.  Sophisticated literary allusions, deconstruction, philosophy, psychological analyses, alternative history, nothing is beyond these cats.  Same is true of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans (a series which continues btw in comic book form).   

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • Ratzkiwatzki
    • kenblogic
    Wading through The Pile.
« Reply #3765 on: July 30, 2014, 06:29:17 PM »
;) Undeservedly, and imperiling its future, Classical Music carries that cross.  Some of the most "highbrow and pretentious" discussions I've ever been witness to - bar none and that includes some lofty lit & critical theory classes - have been among Donald Duck and Unca Scrooge comic fans.  Sophisticated literary allusions, deconstruction, philosophy, psychological analyses, alternative history, nothing is beyond these cats.  Same is true of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans (a series which continues btw in comic book form).
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Lit crit pond scum and Buffyologists. They are the kind that give bullshit a bad name.
“The esthetic is naive, often too naive to express serious thoughts, frequently depending on quotation of well-known American tunes with little comment, possibly charming but certainly trivial.” -- Elliot Carter on Charles Ives

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
    Leoš Janáček, Bohuslav Martinů
« Reply #3766 on: July 31, 2014, 03:02:51 AM »
To be fair, there is some depth in e.g. Carl Barks's Donald Duck / Uncle Scrooge comics.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK