Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 1059619 times)

Offline BasilValentine

• Veteran member
The current discussion --- and the hypocritical moral outrage --- is about Syria, not Saudi Arabia. More specifically, about the fate of the Syrian Kurds. Not a single one of those countries who condemn US for abandoning them (the Kurds, that is) has done anything to alleviate their plight in all these years. Anything at all. Finland is no exception. Now they are all hand-wringing about it. Sheer, utter hypocrisy.

This accusation of hypocrisy is nonsense. The US made a specific commitment to defend the Kurds in exchange for the Kurds dismantling their defensive positions on the Turkey border and continuing to detain 10,000 ISIS prisoners. The Kurds kept their end of the bargain, the US reneged. But not only did the US (Trump administration) renege, they precipitously withdrew, giving the Kurds no time or means to make alternate arrangements before they were attacked by Turkey. None of the other countries were involved in this betrayal, which negated and rendered pointless whatever contribution to the effort these other countries had made. So the US betrayed all of the other supporting countries as well. These nations therefore have every right to be outraged by US actions in Syria and to say so.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
     The UK has shrunk since the Falklands, they no longer have power projection capability at that level. France has more ability to support troops abroad. They tend to take care of their own back yard. These countries can't do air supremacy over the ME like the U.S. can.

To protect the Kurds from the Turks you don't need air supremacy. You need (1) troops to act as a buffer between Turkey and the Kurds and (2) a clear statement that the Kurds are your allies. As long as the US ensured these conditions, Erdogan did nothing because he could do nothing.

No, it is not. It's ordinary hypocrisy. It's a personal characteristic of over-friendly Americans to be upset about what they perceive as ingratitude. Why can't the world be more like us? Why can't the world like us more?

I'm not on that wavelength. The most powerful country, no matter what uses it makes of that power, is not going to be liked, and certainly not in a puppydoggish way.

I'm not American. This is not a question of gratitude or ingratitude, it's a question of verifiable facts: as long as the US is willing to do the dirty job, all is all right (and even so there is widespread outrage about "American imperialism"); the moment US stop doing the dirty job, there is outrage about US not willing to take their responsibilities which they created themselves by their imperialism. What is indeed morally ourageous for me is exactly this double standard.
I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts. --- Rachmaninoff

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
The US made a specific commitment to defend the Kurds in exchange for the Kurds dismantling their defensive positions on the Turkey border and continuing to detain 10,000 ISIS prisoners.

Source, please. Official US source, I mean.
I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts. --- Rachmaninoff

Offline BasilValentine

• Veteran member
Source, please. Official US source, I mean.

You should do research before spouting off at half the nations on earth. I'm not going to do it for you after the fact.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
You should do research before spouting off at half the nations on earth. I'm not going to do it for you after the fact.

Nice try.