Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 2060501 times)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #28820 on: April 21, 2019, 09:41:55 AM »
Last few nights, several early 1950s 'adventure' films in brilliant color!

Bend of the River (1952) w/ James Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Julie Adams, & Rock Hudson; Anthony Mann, director - love the Stewart/Mann western films (listed below - own all in one form or another, as noted at the end of each listing) - except for the B&W Winchester '73, the others are in superb color w/ panoramic location settings - this one was filmed around Mt. Hood in Oregon and Columbia River locales - only two have been released as BDs, and several others I have are DVD-Rs from TCM - waiting for the other three to come out on blu-ray discs.

Ivanhoe (1952) w/ Robert Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor, Joan Fontaine, George Sanders, Finlay Currie - I've been watching the Great Courses Lectures on the Middle Ages (DVD version) presented by Philip Daileader (LINK) and just finished the talk on nobles, knights, & chivalry, so had to pick a movie w/ the same themes; Elizabeth & Joan are just beautiful and the colors magnificent; Sanders his usual character (seems always perfect for these roles!) - was up for several Oscars in 1953, including Best Picture (others were the Greatest Show on Earth, the winner, High Noon, Moulin Rouge, & The Quiet Man - tough competition!), Color Cinematography, and Musical Score (Miklós Rózsa) - Dave :)

1950 - Winchester ’73 (Shelley Winters & Dan Duryea) (DVD)
1952 - Bend of the River (Arthur Kennedy, Julie Adams, Rock Hudson) (BD)
1953 - The Naked Spur (Janet Leigh, Robert Ryan, Ralph Meeker) (DVD-R)
1954 - The Far Country (Ruth Roman, Walter Brennan, Corinne Calvet) (DVD-R)
1955 - The Man from Laramie (Arthur Kennedy, Donald Crisp, Cathy O’Donnell) (BD)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #28821 on: April 21, 2019, 09:53:51 AM »

It took a while to get around to it, but I watched W.  Mediocre film making mixed with poor casting choices and poor acting.  What happened to Oliver Stone?  Anyway, last year's Vice is better, and much better acted, than this movie. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #28822 on: April 22, 2019, 01:27:35 AM »
Beach Rats

Sigh. Sometimes you hope a film is going somewhere and it doesn't.  Cute closeted gay boy basically has 2 modes: doing nothing, or behaving like an arse. His straight friends are also arses, only not quite so cute.

The fact that the main character is described as "aimless" should have been a clue.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28823 on: April 22, 2019, 03:05:14 AM »
Arachnophobia

Some light and sometimes amusing viewing.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #28824 on: April 22, 2019, 04:30:32 AM »

Based on a true story set in Durham, NC in 1971. Reviews are mostly favourable, but not full out enthusiastic. I found it both engrossing and very well directed, with a welcome tightening of the dramatic screws as the story unfolds. The acting is superb, with Sam Rockwell particularly outstanding. Watching it in a theatre near Durham made it a rather special experience. Recommended.