Author Topic: Ruth Gipps (1921-99)  (Read 5149 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Ruth Gipps (1921-99)
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2019, 03:40:24 AM »
Great to hear 'Song for Orchestra' on BBC Radio 3 yesterday morning as I was driving up to Noth London. The announcer commented on the puzzling neglect of her music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2019, 04:34:11 AM »
Great to hear 'Song for Orchestra' on BBC Radio 3 yesterday morning as I was driving up to Noth London. The announcer commented on the puzzling neglect of her music.

So many comments about neglect of composers' music...but very little actual solutions. I mean, the Chandos disc last year was an enormous help to boost Gipps' profie, but it hasn't led to a glut of Gipps concerts replacing your usual oversaturation of Beethoven and/or Mahler symphonies.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2019, 07:40:11 AM »
So many comments about neglect of composers' music...but very little actual solutions. I mean, the Chandos disc last year was an enormous help to boost Gipps' profie, but it hasn't led to a glut of Gipps concerts replacing your usual oversaturation of Beethoven and/or Mahler symphonies.
That's quite right but, as you say, her profile has been raised by the recording and it was that performance which was played on the radio yesterday.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).