Author Topic: Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)  (Read 21566 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2018, 02:11:32 AM »

Is there a more epic and stunning first symphony than this one? Walton and Langaard are other superb examples, but at the moment I'm enjoying the thoroughly glorious Bloch, what a boisterous tour de force this is! And magical moments aplenty, music highly suggestive, lush and sumptuous, featuring some of the most cataclysmic climaxes in the music literature. I love this, the terrific blend between Strauss, Mahler and Respighi (mostly) and the Bloch's emergent voice is just astounding, a desert-island work for sure. I tend to prefer this version to that of Naxos, though.

The redemptive ending of that symphony is one of my favourites - I find it very moving. I wonder if you know Harold Truscott's Symphony Cesar? It ends in a similar way, although perhaps with a greater level of 'glowering darkness' rather than redemption. If you don't know it you might like it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
The redemptive ending of that symphony is one of my favourites - I find it very moving. I wonder if you know Harold Truscott's Symphony Cesar? It ends in a similar way, although perhaps with a greater level of 'glowering darkness' rather than redemption. If you don't know it you might like it.

Truscott's Symphony? Don't really, but I'll investigate it if you say that has a moving ending.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »
Truscott's Symphony? Don't really, but I'll investigate it if you say that has a moving ending.
I enjoy the whole Symphony Cesar. In some ways I think that it is not dissimilar to the Bloch symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »
A wonderful new disc in terms of programme, performances and recording quality: