What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Listening to Gliere's 3rd Symphony with the BBC Phil conducted by Downes (it is also in the new Chandos Gliere box). And this is my dilemna. I like this symphony, but it doesn't inspire me particularly, despite being very well performed. I love the Red Poppy ballet, on the other hand, so I keep putting off a decision on the Gliere box since I have one of the discs. I guess the question on the box is: Is it more like the third symphony or more like the Red Poppy?
[asin]B000000AOZ[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Que

Quote from: Conor71 on March 08, 2012, 12:56:45 AM
Festa: Madonna Oyme

Now listening to Disc 09 of this interesting and beautiful box-set. This box is a real treasure trove of great music and performances! :)

[asin]B00205RKMO[/asin]

Glad you like it. :) And nice to see that the expectation of those here that recommended it came true: it is a set that opens a lot of new doors repertoire-wise while being on the highest standards performance-wise.

Q

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: springrite on March 10, 2012, 04:55:16 AM
Of the major pieces I am only missing the Holiday Symphony, Decoration Day, Spring Cleaning Day, Bring Your Kids to Work Day, April Fool's Day and Redneck Pride Parade Day.

Don't forget Allergy Awareness Day, it calls for a congested choir and pollen thrown from children off-stage.

BTW, visit the Ives page for The Ives of March

SonicMan46

Bassoon works w/ Sergio Azzolini - re-listening to some recent purchases - love this guy on the Baroque bassoon (left a longer post in the 'Old Musical Instruments' thread for those interested) - :)

Mirror Image

Now:

[asin]B00007FKQM[/asin]

Listening to Symphony No. 3 "The Camp Meeting". So beautiful.

Lisztianwagner

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.4

[asin]B00092ZALS[/asin]
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Sergeant Rock

Ginastera Pampeana No.3 (Pastoral Symphony), Szell conducting the Cleveland Orchestra

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Coopmv

Quote from: Conor71 on March 08, 2012, 11:31:41 PM
Festa: Super Flumina Babylonis

Apart from the Haydn quartets, my other listening project this week has been the Secret Labyrinth Box. Im making slow progress so far as Im taking the time to re-listen to each Disc a few times before moving on. So far Im really loving what I've heard - the early music bug has bitten me pretty hard!  :D

Until a few years ago, I never knew there were actually so many quality recordings of early music out there ...

PaulR

First Listen!

[asin]B00004SA85[/asin]
Symphony #44 in E Minor

Coopmv

Now playing CD3 - all Rachmanioff works from the following set for a first listen ...

Wanderer

.[asin]B000W4E3OS[/asin]

Such an exquisite set.

springrite

Percy Grainger playing Chopin (Sonatas 2 and 3) and Bach Organ Transcriptions

As messed a person as he was, what an incredible pianist!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Wanderer on March 10, 2012, 08:31:31 AM
.[asin]B000W4E3OS[/asin]

Such an exquisite set.

Yes its quite amazing, I remember when I bought it, no one on GMG had ever heard of her, let alone buy such a set, so I stopped pushing, and lo and behold after a few months suddenly it came up again, and a lot were singing praises about how wonderful it was. Music walks in mysterious ways. :)

Mirror Image

Now:

[asin]B0000026QA[/asin]

Listening to Symphony No. 4. What a wild ride! 8)

The new erato

Fine, neoclassical stuff.

[asin]B0001N9ZFC[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on March 10, 2012, 09:05:11 AM
Fine, neoclassical stuff.

[asin]B0001N9ZFC[/asin]

I like David Diamond's music a lot, erato. A fine disc for sure.

Opus106

Ives of March seems to be a good time to revisit this work.

Charles Ives
String Quartet No. 1
Emerson String Quartet

Schwetzingen Festival 2009
Regards,
Navneeth

Lisztianwagner

I'm finishing to listen to the versions of Schumann No.4, for the blind comparison; I look forward to seeing the results. :)
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Sergeant Rock

Commissioned for the orchestra's 40th Anniversary, Dutilleux Cinq Métaboles, Szell conducting the Cleveland Orchestra

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on March 10, 2012, 09:16:49 AM
I'm finishing to listen to the versions of Schumann No.4, for the blind comparison; I look forward to seeing the results. :)
I haven't participated but I'm looking forward to the results indeed.